• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shot in both arms at Bellevue gun range

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
How do you do this by accident? Sometimes, and this is one of them, it boggles my mind to see the level of stupidity of actions like this.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...llevue-gun-range-files-lawsuit-215670141.html

BELLEVUE, Wash. - A man shot in both arms during an accidental shooting at a Bellevue gun range has sued the range and the man who shot him, claiming both failed to take appropriate care.

In a lawsuit filed July 11 against Wade’s Eastside Guns, attorneys for the man contend he was hit in the arms after a bullet fired by another Wade’s customer blew through a divider separating two shooting booths.

According to the lawsuit, the offending customer was firing a Smith & Wesson pistol that was “rather new” to him in a neighboring lane at Wade’s range. As the man raised his arms to shoot, the other customer accidentally fired through the foam lane divider.

The 9 mm bullet struck the man in the right arm, powered through it, then tore through his left arm as well, leaving him seriously injured, according to the lawsuit.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm sure the range has insurance ... an unfortunate happening ... glad the guy is still alive

This could happen anywhere ... just the law of probabilities at work here ..

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Irresponsible gun owner.

This usually applies to some gun owners that will just not ask for help, when they have a lack of understanding or training.

I see it to often even from some up in their years that do not know the law and safe handling but spread bs just to bolster themselves to others.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Someone needs to ask the gun owner if he still have the box and if so direct him to place it back in the box empty! and drive it back to where he bought it from and tell them he was told he was to stupid be a responsible gun owner and wants his money back.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Someone needs to ask the gun owner if he still have the box and if so direct him to place it back in the box empty! and drive it back to where he bought it from and tell them he was told he was to stupid be a responsible gun owner and wants his money back.

But ya learn from your mistakes ... heck he only has to learn not to shoot people in the legs, then torso, then head and he'll be good to go.

DCKilla

I've never thought about that happening. The only indoor range I've shot at was Norpoint. I'm not sure if they have steel plates in their dividers. It's something to research though.

gsx1138

Even if you are unfamiliar with a weapon that does not change the rules of safe firearm use. He should've kept his finger off the bang switch until he was ready to fire. I wonder what type of S&W it was? Because if it was an M&P then that guy deserves to get sued.

mikeyb

Even if you are unfamiliar with a weapon that does not change the rules of safe firearm use. He should've kept his finger off the bang switch until he was ready to fire. I wonder what type of S&W it was? Because if it was an M&P then that guy deserves to get sued.

If someone is unfamiliar with a weapon, it's a safe bet they are unfamiliar with the safety rules. Reading does not equal comprehension, as the Internet has so valiantly proven.

Recently I shot at Wade's with a friend who has a lifetime membership. He's considering leaving Wade's for West Coast Armory because it's nicer (construction notwithstanding) and has the bulletproof dividers.

Mattimusmaximus

When I first read this my first thought was. Comic strip!!! "Ahhhhhhh I got shot in the arm!!!" Omg sir are you ok? "No my arm hurts!" Bang! "Ahaaahhaaa why did you shoot me in the other arm?!" "Keep your mind off the pain in the other one."

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

davidmcbeth

Banned
When I first read this my first thought was. Comic strip!!! "Ahhhhhhh I got shot in the arm!!!" Omg sir are you ok? "No my arm hurts!" Bang! "Ahaaahhaaa why did you shoot me in the other arm?!" "Keep your mind off the pain in the other one."

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Sad part of the story is that the guy shot IS the chicken-dance champion of the world....

Hope the guy gets filly recovered.

gsx1138

Took my girlfriend to the indoor range off Canyon yesterday. This topic came up during their safety class and they explained how it happened. Some guy clearing a malfunction with his finger in the trigger guard. So we go in to shoot and there's some old guy next to us. I'm standing back as my girlfriend is shooting. I notice this guy trying to work his slide. It's obvious he has a jam of some kind. After about the tenth tug on the slide and watching him look in the ejection port I'm thinking, 'just drop the magazine, work the slide, and reload. He proceeds to do the exact same thing we just got told about. He turns the gun to the side and tries to force the slide back with his finger still on the trigger. He now has a gun pointed at my girlfriend! I tapped his shoulder and offered to clear it for him. I can see from the ejection port that he has a double feed. I drop the magazine and one round falls to the floor and the slide snaps forward. He grabs the gun, finger on the trigger again, and turns it to look at it. I tell him, "it's still loaded." He says, "No it's not." He works the slide and one round pops out. Needless to say I told the people at the desk and we moved to the second shooting room. The good news is that I OC'd while we were there and no one said anything. Except for one customer in earshot ask in disbelief, "You guys allow people with Serpa holsters in here?!" Apparently, my holster is more dangerous than my gun. Which is only as dangerous as I am. On a bad/good note, my girlfriend wants a M&P Shield really bad now and we have to figure out how to pay/find one soon.

amlevin

I'm liking the West Coast Armory idea: steel-core partitions...
http://www.westcoastarmory.com/the-range/range/58

Don't even need steel. A couple pieces of plywood spaced with 2x2 lumber and the void filled with pea gravel. Inexpensive and works great. This is pretty much how the Norpoint lane partitions are made by the equipment manufacturer. Not as fancy as those with the movable barricades though.

amlevin

Took my girlfriend to the indoor range off Canyon yesterday. This topic came up during their safety class and they explained how it happened. Some guy clearing a malfunction with his finger in the trigger guard. So we go in to shoot and there's some old guy next to us. I'm standing back as my girlfriend is shooting. I notice this guy trying to work his slide. It's obvious he has a jam of some kind. After about the tenth tug on the slide and watching him look in the ejection port I'm thinking, 'just drop the magazine, work the slide, and reload. He proceeds to do the exact same thing we just got told about. He turns the gun to the side and tries to force the slide back with his finger still on the trigger. He now has a gun pointed at my girlfriend! I tapped his shoulder and offered to clear it for him. I can see from the ejection port that he has a double feed. I drop the magazine and one round falls to the floor and the slide snaps forward. He grabs the gun, finger on the trigger again, and turns it to look at it. I tell him, "it's still loaded." He says, "No it's not." He works the slide and one round pops out. Needless to say I told the people at the desk and we moved to the second shooting room. The good news is that I OC'd while we were there and no one said anything. Except for one customer in earshot ask in disbelief, "You guys allow people with Serpa holsters in here?!" Apparently, my holster is more dangerous than my gun. Which is only as dangerous as I am. On a bad/good note, my girlfriend wants a M&P Shield really bad now and we have to figure out how to pay/find one soon.

Your post covers just about every reason I no longer shoot at indoor ranges. The attract too many inexperienced or stupid shooters and there's pretty much no way to get away from them.

I now just spend the money on gas and drive to a little used shooting area whenever I want to do some "action shooting".

retrodad

...He grabs the gun, finger on the trigger again, and turns it to look at it. I tell him, "it's still loaded." He says, "No it's not." He works the slide and one round pops out...

Egads! One can never emphasize the 4 Spiritual Laws of firearms enough. Especially the bit about always assuming said firearm is loaded.