• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats Next ?

John563

You all are famous......National news…WOW.
So are we willing to try some thing else? To keep this moving or do we want to ride on this for awhile? We have our contact person jim40cal, we have our speakers James and Peter and we have our groupies.....US…

Big Boy

I was thinking the same thing earlier today. How to we keep this moving and start to move it into a more serious light.

I think the next meeting should be more than just a social gathering (Not to say I don't enjoy them, because I do). I think we should work to draw and develop some more plans. I love Open Carry, I love the fact that we are out there, showing people that guns and gun owners are not evil, now lets take the next step and make serious strides towards preemption.

I can admit right now, I don't know enough about the legislative process. I don't know how these laws are proposed, if they are only voted on at certain times, all of these things. This is why we need to pool our recourses and work together. Start contacting representatives, start doing more things that bring us together as an officiated group with a mission and purpose, and a way to pursue it.

Jim40Cal

I think were barely to first base. I talked to people today that had no clue you could open carry a weapon. How many police officers don't even know? It takes awhile to soak in I guess since guns have gotten suck a bad rap in life. With all the crime I think most people just think thats all there used for so they must be bad. After all theres always 911? I am friends with Mark Alford from Fox4 (Facebook) and mentioned to him we were having a meeting at the Plaza and look how it turned out. Who would have ever thought. And James and Peter done an excellent job of explaining our agenda. Anyway it will take time. Keep having meetings and the more show up the better we look. We got to get the word out and the Plaza was a great start. We need to hound our representives and get there attention as they all want to be re-elected. I just wish we could afford a bill board?

John563

My belly makes a good size billboard :) however my 45 just looks small against the back drop :(

Getting preemption in this state will be hard. The CC side worked hard to get what we have and they will not want to give that up for state preemption. There are a lot of CC instructors that have made a lot of money off of people that think that they need a permit to carry. The CC side has contacts in the Missouri Legislature I believe that I may have talked to one or two of them when I was on Missouricarry.com

You know........ There may be another way. Suggestion 1) email or call the Missouri attorney general and inform him that there are towns, counties and municipalities that are violating Missouri’s constitution Art 23, sec, 1, and the 2A, by having ordinance against open carry, there are citizens that are between the age of 21 and 22 and those that can not afford to buy a permit to CC. Under these ordinance these people do not have the option to protect themselves or there family. (Something along these lines maybe) If that don’t work we go to #2

Jim40Cal

I would also like a Open Carry bumper sticker? As well as a decal for my back window. Whatever it takes to open people's minds. Like the young girl said on the news cast,,"guns are scary" Duh! Crooks are scary!!! Losing our rights is even scarier.

cshoff

My belly makes a good size billboard :) however my 45 just looks small against the back drop :(

Getting preemption in this state will be hard. The CC side worked hard to get what we have and they will not want to give that up for state preemption. There are a lot of CC instructors that have made a lot of money off of people that think that they need a permit to carry. The CC side has contacts in the Missouri Legislature I believe that I may have talked to one or two of them when I was on Missouricarry.com

That is silly. To think that CCW instructors and other CCW proponents would fight against preemption is simply far from any kind of reality. Myself, as well as most other CCW instructors I know, explain to their CCW students the particulars of Open Carry here in Missouri during the legal portion of the CCW course. Most students have no desire whatsoever to ever openly carry their firearm out in public, regardless of whether or not is is legal and regardless of whether or not they need a permit. Quite frankly, the vast majority of people who carry a gun for personal protection simply don't feel that a openly carried firearm fits well with their lifestyle for whatever reason. Most of your average "Joes" and "Janes" prefer to be more discrete in their method of carry.

In addition, you may find that some of the folks who know the in's and out's to getting things done in Jefferson City may be the very people you need to try to recruit to help you out with your cause. Those people are already "ahead of the curve", so to speak, and will know who to lobby and how to lobby them.

You know........ There may be another way. Suggestion 1) email or call the Missouri attorney general and inform him that there are towns, counties and municipalities that are violating Missouri’s constitution Art 23, sec, 1, and the 2A, by having ordinance against open carry, there are citizens that are between the age of 21 and 22 and those that can not afford to buy a permit to CC. Under these ordinance these people do not have the option to protect themselves or there family. (Something along these lines maybe) If that don’t work we go to #2

Don't you think it's possible that this may already have been done? The AG will NOT attempt to take a city, town, or municipality to court on your behalf. If you want to try the constitutional route, you will have to find someone willing to become the plaintiff and who has deep enough pockets to see it through to the end. And then you must be prepared for the possible ramifications of a decision that does not go your way.

Addressing this from a legislative angle is a much more pragmatic approach, IMHO.

ChiangShih

Becoming more visible in the community is a huge step. Frequency and exposure leads to acceptance. We've been seen walking around and meeting and now we've had WHY we do it publicized. I agree there is a need to act while the the spotlight still shines. Although, for now, next months meeting gives us an opportunity to follow through with the current direction and introduce some of the new members.

Personally I think the next step will be some sort of community project. The weather is getting a bit cold for a BBQ and the holiday season is coming up, but you get the idea. If we get the timing right, not too soon after the recent exposure, but not too late that it becomes uninteresting for the news makers, we can talk about planning a larger event.
As for preemption, that comes down to a vote, activism influences the people. You get the idea.

I think that you hit the nail on the head when you said that CCW instructors would be against state wide pre-emption on open carry. They feel as though since they have invested in time, money and materials that the public wanting to carry a firearm owe them a large fee for their services. Some of them would be, as they could see that some of their revenue would be affected. Some time ago there was a place that was giving the CCW class for free and some of the CCW instructors were raising hell about them doing that as they didn't feel that the classes met their personal standards. But the free class seemed to meet the sheriffs requirement as the sheriff issued permits on the qualifications of the free class.
Of course there are some instructors that would not be anti OC but then there are several that would be.
I was told that the open carry movement could not count on any help from the folks over on Mocarry as the leadership over there stated that open carry was not of any interest to them.

Last edited:

ChiangShih

I don't see state wide OC preemption as a large enough motivating factor of CCW instructors to oppose it. Firstly, there are a lot of people who would much rather conceal than OC and this still requires the permit obviously. Secondly, the majority of MO is OC friendly and I'm sure CCW instructors haven't seen much loss in revenue because of this fact. Also, I'd bet the majority of CCW classes are held in OC friendly areas rather than not. Lastly, I doubt most CCW instructors would find this threatening enough to go against it. After all, pro-gun legislation is pro-gun legislation. If it did become an issue we would simply have to put out a little PR campaign because IMO, preempting OC would lead to more people being comfortable with OC, more specifically the 18-22 year olds who cannot obtain their CCW, this in turn gets individuals acquainted with gun community and carrying a firearm and most would undoubtedly want to obtain their CCW when it became legal for them to do so. This was my case, I OCed for 2 years until I was legally able to get my CCW and I did. Most people like to OC but there are specific times and places when one wants the option to CC and thus there will always be a market for CCW instructors. Now the removal of a need for permits like Alaska and AZ is another story, I'm sure that would ruffle a few feathers amongst the CCW instructors crowd.

Jim40Cal

I also think we need a community project. Adopt a highway (or park) would be nice as we would get a sign put up saying that part of the highway was ours. Remember the KKK did it near St Louis once. Look at the publicity they got even though it wasn't for the good. You also have to keep that part you adopted clean so we would be exposed to the traffic going by. Whatever we do we just need the exposure.

John563

Cshoff
I agree with you, no arguments from me on your points. I know a few CC instructors here in Johnson Co, MO. And they all said that they would not support OC preemption because of the lost income and I listened to quite a few people on Missouriycarry I also watched the last couple of years when Preemption was attached to a bill with other items and was shot down. (Maybe it should be in a bill by its self) The CC instructors do talk about OC in class but its all in the negative. As far as a letter to the attorney general, that was just a suggestion, Has anyone tried putting a bug in his ear after the Supreme Court made there ruling in June. And no I don’t believe that the ruling was for only in the home. The Supreme Court left that open for the lower courts to decide on.
(And yes I realize that I misquoted the Missouri constitution Art, 1 Sec 23)before I get hammered

Last edited:

mobodyguard

I also think we need a community project. Adopt a highway (or park) would be nice as we would get a sign put up saying that part of the highway was ours. Remember the KKK did it near St Louis once. Look at the publicity they got even though it wasn't for the good. You also have to keep that part you adopted clean so we would be exposed to the traffic going by. Whatever we do we just need the exposure.

i think we should set up a meeting not just a gatherin and talk about some issues, but i like this comment, we should do something like this

cshoff

Cshoff
I agree with you, no arguments from me on your points. I know a few CC instructors here in Johnson Co, MO. And they all said that they would not support OC preemption because of the lost income and I listened to quite a few people on Missouriycarry I also watched the last couple of years when Preemption was attached to a bill with other items and was shot down. (Maybe it should be in a bill by its self) The CC instructors do talk about OC in class but its all in the negative.

Who do you think it was who showed up IN FORCE in May, 2009 for the Senate Hearing on HB668 which contained open carry preemption? Was it a bunch of OpenCarry.org members? NOPE. It was a hearing room FULL of MoCarry members, many of them CCW instructors, who turned out to form a standing room only crowd. And it was MoCarry BOD members and regular members who stood up in front of the Senate Judiciary and Civil and Criminal Jurisprudence Committee and testified on behalf of ALL Missouri gun owners and INSISTED that the preemption language NOT be stripped from the bill. In my time here at OCDO, I've NEVER seen that kind of support for preemption legislation or the kind of organization it takes to put it together. Before you start casting stones, you might want to be sure that you don't live in a glass house.

As far as a letter to the attorney general, that was just a suggestion, Has anyone tried putting a bug in his ear after the Supreme Court made there ruling in June. And no I don’t believe that the ruling was for only in the home. The Supreme Court left that open for the lower courts to decide on.
(And yes I realize that I misquoted the Missouri constitution Art, 1 Sec 23)before I get hammered

The MO AG's office does not and will not represent you as a individual or any organization you might put together. Unless they find a particular case to be detrimental to the interests of the State of Missouri, they won't be of much help here. The problem we have here in Missouri stems from the way our existing legislation is written (RSMO 21.750), and it needs to be addressed through the legislative process. It will take strong organization and hard work to get it done.

ChiangShih

Who do you think it was who showed up IN FORCE in May, 2009 for the Senate Hearing on HB668 which contained open carry preemption? Was it a bunch of OpenCarry.org members? NOPE. It was a hearing room FULL of MoCarry members, many of them CCW instructors, who turned out to form a standing room only crowd. And it was MoCarry BOD members and regular members who stood up in front of the Senate Judiciary and Civil and Criminal Jurisprudence Committee and testified on behalf of ALL Missouri gun owners and INSISTED that the preemption language NOT be stripped from the bill. In my time here at OCDO, I've NEVER seen that kind of support for preemption legislation or the kind of organization it takes to put it together. Before you start casting stones, you might want to be sure that you don't live in a glass house.

Many OCDO members are MOCarry members, I'm assuming you included. Lets not create divides here. I believe everyone has made their position clear on the matter of CCW instructors and their opinion on OC preemption, so lets not derail this thread and focus on what WE at OCDOMO can do to advance this current direction of activism.

cshoff

Many OCDO members are MOCarry members, I'm assuming you included. Lets not create divides here. I believe everyone has made their position clear on the matter of CCW instructors and their opinion on OC preemption, so lets not derail this thread and focus on what WE at OCDOMO can do to advance this current direction of activism.

How about a show of hands from OCDO members who DID attend and DID testify at the hearing? Anyone here besides me?

The point is, and I have seen it here umpteen times, the "divide" is created right here on these pages with insinuation, exaggeration, and outright mischaracterization of what has and hasn't been done on the issue of preemption by the same people who fought so hard to get our CCW legislation passed in this state. Frankly, I don't think many people here have ever got involved in the legislative process in Jefferson City at all. While going out and raising awareness about OC in local settings is a good thing, it's NOT going to get preemption passed in our legislature.

A few months ago, the call was put out to all Missouri members here to see who was interested in actually putting together and being involved in organizing an official group who's primary purpose would be to push for OC preemption. Unfortunately, there were only a handful of individuals here who answered the call, so it doesn't appear that very many here are actually interested in "advancing the current direction of activism" beyond making some posts here on the forum.

Yes, it's a fact that not everyone who supports our CCW system is a big proponent of OC. In fact, I find that the majority of people are generally indifferent to the idea, so while they are not opposed, they are not interested enough to openly advocate for it. That said, bad mouthing CCW instructors and other CCW advocates is certainly not beneficial to the cause. I would think that any good strategy for getting preemption passed would include some kind of plan for trying to recruit some of these people who have "been there and got the t-shirt" to help with the process.

ChiangShih

How about a show of hands from OCDO members who DID attend and DID testify at the hearing? Anyone here besides me?
Pat yourself on the back once for me too bud, as I honestly appreciate it, excuse the inferred sarcasm in patting yourself on the back. Although, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, there is a good chance there are other people on the MO side of OCDO that attended and others that would have if they could of.

The point is, and I have seen it here umpteen times, the "divide" is created right here on these pages with insinuation, exaggeration, and outright mischaracterization of what has and hasn't been done on the issue of preemption by the same people who fought so hard to get our CCW legislation passed in this state. Frankly, I don't think many people here have ever got involved in the legislative process in Jefferson City at all. While going out and raising awareness about OC in local settings is a good thing, it's NOT going to get preemption passed in our legislature.

The assumption that people here never or hardly got involved in legislation is just that, an assumption, lets keep things empirical. Assumptions lead to misunderstandings, which leads to this. Also, I doubt anyone here has anything but respect for the boys who got the CCW legislation passed. Finally, activism and raising awareness is the first step in any policy making. Public input leads to interest aggregation, which are combined into policy programs. So raising awareness is fundamentally part of the policy making process. Raising public awareness and social activism IS a fundamental step in getting preemption passed in our legislator.

Also just as quickly as the "divide" was created, there was a call to mend it , by -me-, only to be reopened by -you-.

A few months ago, the call was put out to all Missouri members here to see who was interested in actually putting together and being involved in organizing an official group who's primary purpose would be to push for OC preemption. Unfortunately, there were only a handful of individuals here who answered the call, so it doesn't appear that very many here are actually interested in "advancing the current direction of activism" beyond making some posts here on the forum.

The members here are all good people, pushing for the same pro-gun legislation, our aims are aligned with those of the CCW groups and almost all other gun groups IMO. Fundamentally to protect our rights.

Saying "Unfortunately only a handful" down plays that fact that people responded to the call at all. The people who did, were able too. Tthe ones who didn't, either did not know about it or were unable to attend and should not be reprimanded as uninterested or unsupportive of the cause. I know many of these guys, now personally because of their willingness to take time out of their lives to meet, and act for this cause. It is disrespectful to act as an elitist or downplay these folks because they cannot contribute as much as you have. Also, turn your claims of disinterest to the national news spot we just landed 2 days ago.

So as I said before, if you are only here to chastise and argue about past issues or indiscretions you may have, take it to another thread, or mosey on over to MOcarry and vent. This thread is about advancement of ideas and getting involved in the future of the movement. It is about maintaining morale and motivation. You are acting in a very counterproductive and demanding manner. That said, I don't intend to come across as a jerk though I'm unapologetic if I have. If you want to talk about the -next- step instead of what has or hasn't happened, then stay, lets talk.

Be happy folks, we did a major thing bringing all this positive exposure and new members to the OC movement. Lets not let internal strife bog us down. :D

Last edited:

John563

Cshoff
I applaud all of those that stood up for preemption in 09. I had just learned of the open carry movement in 09 and it was just this year that I met a great group of people that open carry in my area. If you read my post above, you would have seen where I stated “The CC side worked hard to get what we have” This was an acknowledgement that they wroked hard to get cc passed. I only stated a fact that the cc instructors and people that I talked to on missouricarry said that they would not support OC preemption. And as far as you putting a word out a few months ago……I never saw it. Well now it is 2010 and you have a new group of people that is interested in OC. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know much about the legislation process. You sound as if you might. If you have any ideas on how we should proceed on getting RSMO 21.750 changed, if this is the hold up (from what I’ve read it seams like Sec,3) let us know I’m sure that we’ll be glad to lend our support. I hope to see you at our next meeting Dec 4th ( subject to change)

cshoff

Pat yourself on the back once for me too bud, as I honestly appreciate it, excuse the inferred sarcasm in patting yourself on the back. Although, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, there is a good chance there are other people on the MO side of OCDO that attended and others that would have if they could of.

It wasn't meant to be a "pat on the back" at all. It was meant to illustrate the point that I made earlier. A number of members here badmouthing the CCW crowd, yet, when it came to actually showing up and supporting OC preemption here in our legislature, that is where the vast majority of support came from.

The assumption that people here never or hardly got involved in legislation is just that, an assumption, lets keep things empirical. Assumptions lead to misunderstandings, which leads to this. Also, I doubt anyone here has anything but respect for the boys who got the CCW legislation passed.

I've not seen much of it. Most of the time, there is nothing but sour grapes towards the CCW crowd around here, as if they are somehow less patriotic or as if they should be expected put the same vigor into OC preemption as they did into CCW legislation. It's much easier to attract flies with honey, rather than contempt.

Finally, activism and raising awareness is the first step in any policy making. Public input leads to interest aggregation, which are combined into policy programs. So raising awareness is fundamentally part of the policy making process. Raising public awareness and social activism IS a fundamental step in getting preemption passed in our legislator.

Yes, it is, but is in vain without a consistent message and without organization.

Also just as quickly as the "divide" was created, there was a call to mend it , by -me-, only to be reopened by -you-.

You made your "call" to the wrong person. I wasn't the one who started the CCW instructor bashing here in this thread. However, as a CCW instructor, I can tell you for sure that for myself, and a fairly large number of other instructors I know, we do NOT fit the stereotype continually brought up here. I dare say that instructors, as a group, are in a unique position to actually meet and speak face-to-face to more pro-gun people than nearly any other group in Missouri. Seems to me they would be the kind of folks we would want to reach out to, rather than disparage.

The members here are all good people, pushing for the same pro-gun legislation, our aims are aligned with those of the CCW groups and almost all other gun groups IMO. Fundamentally to protect our rights.

Good that you acknowledge that.

Saying "Unfortunately only a handful" down plays that fact that people responded to the call at all. The people who did, were able too. Tthe ones who didn't, either did not know about it or were unable to attend and should not be reprimanded as uninterested or unsupportive of the cause. I know many of these guys, now personally because of their willingness to take time out of their lives to meet, and act for this cause. It is disrespectful to act as an elitist or downplay these folks because they cannot contribute as much as you have. Also, turn your claims of disinterest to the national news spot we just landed 2 days ago.

LOL. You obviously missed the "when" and the "how" in regards to how it was done. It wasn't an invite to a BBQ or a cup of coffee, but I won't bore you with the details.

In addition, I'll be the first to admit that there are many, many people who have been able to contribute much more time, money, and expertise than I to our gun rights causes. I never claimed otherwise. Again, I simply pointed out some of the hyperbole that gets thrown around here. Before we go around talking about how the CCW crowd can't be counted on to support OC preemption, we had better have our facts straight.

So as I said before, if you are only here to chastise and argue about past issues or indiscretions you may have, take it to another thread, or mosey on over to MOcarry and vent.

The same could be said for your self-righteous attitude. Then again, I don't pretend to be in a position to control what others can and can't post to this forum.

This thread is about advancement of ideas and getting involved in the future of the movement. It is about maintaining moral and motivation. You are acting in a very counterproductive and demanding manner. That said, I don't intend to come across as a jerk though I'm unapologetic if I have. If you want to talk about the -next- step instead of what has or hasn't happened, then stay, lets talk.

Be happy folks, we did a major thing bringing all this positive exposure and new members to the OC movement. Lets not let internal strife bog us down. :D

The "next step" has already been taken. In fact, a series of steps have already been taken. And just so you know, some of us have been trying to end this "internal strife" since long before this meeting made the news.

Last edited:

John563

I apologize to the group...didn’t mean to start anything or to side track the thread.
Anyway where do we go from here? Jim suggested adopt a highway. This is cool….maybe to cool for this time of year but I’ll go for it. I’d like to see something with more people contact. Peter you and your wife were volunteers were you not. you have anything in mind?