• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Open Carry Day

TheQ

The link you posted is a file on your desktop...

ETA: I can appreciate a *nix user. Errr, maybe a crApple?

B

Bikenut

Several years ago... somewhere around 2002/2004... I contacted the NRA concerning a national open carry day.........................

the sound of crickets was deafening.

B

Bikenut

Ok... here I go again making myself unpopular...

Over the past decades the NRA has done much good for gun rights... and some bad. And, over the past decades, the NRA has done some things I completely agree with.... and vehemently disagree with.

But..... for all it's faults it is the NRA the politicians listen to because of the huge block of votes represented by said NRA.

Now.... can anyone tell me of another organization, any other gun rights organization, that has as much... or more... influence with politicians than the NRA?

There isn't... and we all know it. So... don't like how the NRA represents gun owners/carriers all the time? May I be so bold as to suggest using the same process as is used to change government... and get involved within the NRA and change it instead of just folks bashing it?

Last edited by a moderator:

protias

Now.... can anyone tell me of another organization, any other gun rights organization, that has as much... or more... influence with politicians than the NRA?
Are you talking at a national level or just state level?

B

Bikenut

Are you talking at a national level or just state level?
Just bouncing off your post... not responding personally to you or anyone.

The NRA has traditionally worked on the national level. It would be nice if the NRA were to offer more support to state level organizations. But then, if folks want that to happen the way to do it would be to work within the NRA itself to get it done.

All I'm saying is that it seems many folks are quick to complain about the NRA... and there is justification for some of that as I well know... while forgetting that there isn't any other organization out there that has the amount of political power that the NRA has.

Would it not be advantageous to work within the NRA to influence it's focus and help get things done rather than folks just complaining and withholding support?

Again... what other gun rights organization is there out there... anywhere out there... that holds as large a block of votes and amount of political power that the NRA has?

Don't like what the NRA does? Change it. Focus all that power into the areas you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruger95

Don't like what the NRA does? Change it. Focus all that power into the areas you want.
Bikenut, I always enjoy reading your posts and I don't mean any disrespect but what does this have to do with a National Open Carry Day? My point in starting this thread was to get everyone to move to the original post on this subject. The link in my first post is working now and I hope all will participate there. We can do this without the help of the NRA.

B

Bikenut

Bikenut, I always enjoy reading your posts and I don't mean any disrespect but what does this have to do with a National Open Carry Day? My point in starting this thread was to get everyone to move to the original post on this subject. The link in my first post is working now and I hope all will participate there. We can do this without the help of the NRA.

No disrespect taken, or intended for you or your idea, Ruger95.

I injected the NRA into this discussion with the hopes that folks would pester the NRA into supporting a national open carry day because the NRA does have much power and could bring open carry into the mainstream faster than all the grass roots efforts.... if the NRA could be talked into it.

Nothing wrong with gathering support from the biggest gorilla in the room.............

Ruger95

No disrespect taken, or intended for you or your idea, Ruger95.

I injected the NRA into this discussion with the hopes that folks would pester the NRA into supporting a national open carry day because the NRA does have much power and could bring open carry into the mainstream faster than all the grass roots efforts.... if the NRA could be talked into it.

Nothing wrong with gathering support from the biggest gorilla in the room.............

Well as you said they didn't respond. I don't know what the NRA thinks of our particular stake in the gun-rights quest but If they see that we can get this thing going on a national level they may want to endorse it. They also may not like unwanted competition in this area. I may be full of it but just my random thoughts.