• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Limitations on the weapons we OC in Virginia

230therapy

Virginia has some goofy laws:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.
(1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160; 2007, c. 813.)

I did not know there were limits regarding what I could carry without a Virginia concealed handgun permit. It does make OC of a pistol with threaded barrel legal. You can carry that STI 1911 with 27 round magazine.

[comment removed by moderator. (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.]

Badger Johnson

You forgot the part 4 (subsection ii)(b)...the Ginger Rogers Act:

"...or while tap dancing backwards in highheels on the grave of our hard-won freedom, lost, in the pale moonlight."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
One of those pesky perks I keep talking about.

Gather round folks and get your CHP's while they last.
They can slice and dice and let you carry your AR15 PISTOL in the forbidden places.
Get em while they're hot!

user

Accomplished Advocate
Some of my favorites:

§ 18.2-300. Possession or use of "sawed-off" shotgun or rifle.

A. Possession or use of a "sawed-off" shotgun or "sawed-off" rifle in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of a crime of violence is a Class 2 felony.
B. Possession or use of a "sawed-off" shotgun or "sawed-off" rifle for any other purpose, except as permitted by this article and official use by those persons permitted possession by § 18.2-303, is a Class 4 felony.

§ 18.2-308.5. Manufacture, import, sale, transfer or possession of plastic firearm prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, import, sell, transfer or possess any plastic firearm. As used in this section, "plastic firearm" means any firearm, including machine guns and sawed-off shotguns as defined in this chapter, containing less than 3.7 ounces of electromagnetically detectable metal in the barrel, slide, cylinder, frame or receiver of which, when subjected to inspection by X-ray machines commonly used at airports, does not generate an image that accurately depicts its shape. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony.

§ 18.2-308.8. Importation, sale, possession or transfer of Striker 12's prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to import, sell, possess or transfer the following firearms: the Striker 12, commonly called a "streetsweeper," or any semi-automatic folding stock shotgun of like kind with a spring tension drum magazine capable of holding twelve shotgun shells. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony.

§ 18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or like weapons, such person shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.

Marco

Saying one shouldn't interchange the terms firearm/weapon is backwards assed thinking!!
We recently tried to get VA to change your (I don't have a VA permit) current CHP(?)'s to CWP's so those with a VA permit could carry a variety of items concealed not just a firearm/handgun.
By stating the term weapon is negative you are feeding into those that oppose our position.
FL has a CWP (IIRC) please tell me what is offensive or negative by the use of the word weapon.

Weapon is just a general term used to describe a tool used to defend or attack.

I know some NRA instructor will chime in telling us the NRA doesn't want their instructors using the word "weapon" during class, I say who gives a chit what the NRA wants/thinks outside of the environment they control.

As a former service member calling your rifle or sidearm a gun would result in you running in circles holding your genitals all while sing a neat little tone.

§ 18.2-287.4. in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

That BS is only for the areas listed.
Those of us that live in less restrictive jurisdictions need not worry.

Last edited:

Marco

Arguing with yourself? lol

I agree that your gun should not be called a "weapon" to me a weapon is used to harm. It is a self defence tool.

So, when the perk gets changed you and those that don't like the word weapon don't wish to be included?

tcmech

You forgot the part 4 (subsection ii)(b)...the Ginger Rogers Act:

"...or while tap dancing backwards in highheels on the grave of our hard-won freedom, lost, in the pale moonlight."

I thought that was the test the highway patrol was doing on DWI suspects while having them recite the alphabet backwards starting with the letter "O".

230therapy

It means my P22/threaded barrel can not be carryed unless you have a CHP, and my Glock I can not use a 33 round magazine when I am OC'ing. (and who the heck would want to OC a 33 round magazine?:uhoh:)

Ah...but you're forgetting the FN 57 handgun. The factory magazine is 20 rounds. Adding a +1 magazine extension makes it illegal to carry without a permission slip.

That BS is only for the areas listed.
Those of us that live in less restrictive jurisdictions need not worry.
You need not worry right up until the point you forget about the law and drive into one of those counties.

Obviously, this law needs to go away.

Last edited:

JamesB

It means my P22/threaded barrel can not be carryed unless you have a CHP, and my Glock I can not use a 33 round magazine when I am OC'ing. (and who the heck would want to OC a 33 round magazine?:uhoh:)

I'm going to have to OC the 33 round mag for my Glock.

You can CC it?? Wow! That takes some skill.