• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For cops, citizen videos bring increased scrutiny

TheQ

The key here for officers is to behave professionally when you are treated reasonably. If you do that, you have nothing to fear.

Notice, the agencies are becoming more "market friendly". The attitude of "help us understand our mistakes so we can improve" is starting to show. They are realizing they no longer have an unchecked monopoly. This is how a free market handles things.

Michigander

Awesome read. I particularly laughed at how stupid it made some cops look. What I mean is that if they simply follow the laws as best as they know them, and act in good faith of RAS and PC, there is nothing new to train about. The only thing they could possibly have to "train" about is that they better stop screwing with people unless they want to go to prison.

The thing that amazes me is in my experience how many cops will still act feloniously on camera.

Michigander

Notice, the agencies are becoming more "market friendly". The attitude of "help us understand our mistakes so we can improve" is starting to show. They are realizing they no longer have an unchecked monopoly. This is how a free market handles things.

This is true to an extent in terms of the majority of police departments, but it falls flat on its face when management of a department and city are willing to allow repeat felony actions by police. The thin blue line is a close knit community which doesn't like to interdepartmentally take out its trash, even when their agency has the ability to step in and put a stop to unlawful actions by another agency. I have found that this can hold true nation wide, save a few free states like Arizona, on any level, from the city or town all the way up to the Feds.

The only options can become expensive law suits which tend not to work, black panther style self defense which tends to needlessly cost lives and scare up new laws. The best option ends up being having politicians removed from office, replacing them with spined politicians who take their oath seriously enough to remove felons who are employed as police officers or police management, and there are a few Michigan cities which I think could use exactly this.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I hope you guys don't miss the sub-text of the LEO community...trying to outlaw video and audio taping during police interactions.

Sounds like some states are working to try and stop the public from taping LEOs. That's the real scary part of the article.

And why PDs think this is something new is beyond me. People have been taping LEO encounters for decades. The difference I suppose is how fast it can go viral.

Bailenforcer

Due to my long standing hard core constitutional political background I have made enemies around here calling out the corrupt. I have cameras in and around my home and most are hidden. I have made arraignments to have the recordings sent immediately off site so they can not be destroyed by any potential invaders, be it criminal or official criminals. Many sites like supercircuits.com sell radio wireless methods of transmitting that recording off property. They can't identify where that recording is broadcasted to, only that it was broadcasted.

This can be done mobile to mobile in cases of someone being pulled over and their car impounded, the whole times the car is in impound they can destroy evidence or claim someone stole it. I suggest those who are curious about all this, might get into Amateur radio and learn by doing. It's easy and loads of fun becoming a Ham/Amateur radio operator. You will quickly learn the technology, and how to make it work.

http://www.supercircuits.com/Wireless-Security/Wireless-Video-Links/MVL10D

....................................................................................................................................
below is a pair receiver and transmitter

http://www.supercircuits.com/Wireless-Security/Wireless-Video-Links/AVX900T4

http://www.supercircuits.com/Wireless-Security/Wireless-Video-Receivers/AVX900R1

" Power output is a very strong 500 milliwatts for range of up to 1 mile with standard rubber whip antennas! Even longer ranges are attainable with the optional Yagi receiver antenna....."

remember if you get one of these get one that has a detachable antenna so you have the option of adding a better antenna to greatly increase range from cameras to recorder.

..........................................................................................................................................................

http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license

http://www.supercircuits.com/

http://www.supercircuits.com/Wireless-Security/ <<< wireless video

Last edited:

TheQ

Due to my long standing hard core constitutional political background I have made enemies around here calling out the corrupt. I have cameras in and around my home and most are hidden. I have made arraignments to have the recordings sent immediately off site so they can not be destroyed by any potential invaders, be it criminal or official criminals. Many sites like supercircuits.com sell radio wireless methods of transmitting that recording off property. They can't identify where that recording is broadcasted to, only that it was broadcasted.

RF jamming?

If they plan to break one law would a silly thing like FCC regulations stop them? ;)

Bailenforcer

Rf Jamming is insanely expensive to do despite rumors to the contrary. With more than A QUARTER MILLION potential frequencies to jam they would have to guess what to jam. Jamming is not universal. It is specific to a frequency. With 6.25 Khz separation that greatly increases the channels or frequencies to jam. if it get to illegal jamming then we have a huge case for official corruption. And if it gets that bad we already have the makings of a civil war, if not all out war. For a local Police agency to engage in such a Federal offense with impunity things would be so bad we would have mass civil unrest before then.

Somehow I don't see the Police having a mobile jamming truck following each police car at a few Million dollars a piece.

http://www.sesp.com/MilitaryConvoyProtection.asp

Jamming is possible at great costs, and still unreliable. Frequency hoping radio technology defeats jamming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency-hopping_spread_spectrum

RF jamming?

If they plan to break one law would a silly thing like FCC regulations stop them? ;)

Last edited:

TheQ

Rf Jamming is insanely expensive to do despite rumors to the contrary. With more than A QUARTER MILLION potential frequencies to jam they would have to guess what to jam. Jamming is not universal. It is specific to a frequency. With 6.25 Khz separation that greatly increases the channels or frequencies to jam. if it get to illegal jamming then we have a huge case for official corruption. And if it gets that bad we already have the makings of a civil war, if not all out war. For a local Police agency to engage in such a Federal offense with impunity things would be so bad we would have mass civil unrest before then.

Somehow I don't see the Police having a mobile jamming truck following each police car at a few Million dollars a piece.

http://www.sesp.com/MilitaryConvoyProtection.asp

Jamming is possible at great costs, and still unreliable. Frequency hoping radio technology defeats jamming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency-hopping_spread_spectrum

Power lines?

Snip snip. Got UPS AND Generator?

NHCGRPR45

you guys are all NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jericho??? c'mon people! that could never happen to us the most law abiding sector of society! why all those nasty terrorist cells have been rounded up, domestic terrorism is a thing of the very long distance past, and our politicians and federal state county and local law enforcement have things well in hand.

no country in their right mind would think of causeing us the holy police force of the world any harm. i have first hand proof that the so called insurgents want to give all the bullets back to our soldiers!!!!!!!!!! hell one of them even gave me a bullet personally!

and in the spirit of fair trade we gave him about 200 back in trade for him or his friends to do with as they wished! now in an market thats a damn fine return!

so stop with all your stupid conspiracy theorys! the goverment dosen't get rid of all your guns! they just want you to give them to people who know how to use them! our goverment cops, state county and city law enforcement only want to protect us and keep the children safe form those bad guns!

the goverment is only trying to make things easier for our law enforcement! how are they supposed to tell a bad guy with a gun from a good guy with a gun??? well thats easy! ban all guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how easy is that! with the stroke of a pen and a vote the problem would be solved! :uhoh:

now to you "what iffers" out there,,what if a good guy goes and gets a gun to protect his family and kids from all those nasty criminals who just wont fall in line with the law?? well thats easy! since all guns were/are banned then he would be by default a bad guy, hence a criminal and it would be a free to fire incident!:monkey

infallible logic there! how easy, our law enforcement wouln't even have to think about wether it was a good guy/bad guy, since all people with guns are bad guys/girls!!!!

finally a law that makes sense! :cry:

so stop with your stupid sad theories about "gun control" or "eves dropping" and just find something else to do besides waste everyones time with silly, obamas gonna take yor guns crap!:cuss:

with our military being the worlds police force and all the good will that brings us we wont have any issue with people wanting to do bad things here in america.:lol:

with a complete and total ban on those nasty guns we won't be able to shoot anyone anymore! and with our cops finally able to police without haveing to worry about shooting the wrong person this will finally be the happiest place on earth!:banghead:

Bailenforcer

I am confused. This post I quoted is confusing, is this some kind of humor, or are you having a bad day? I noticed you went off in another thread with black helicopter insults.

you guys are all NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jericho??? c'mon people! that could never happen to us the most law abiding sector of society! why all those nasty terrorist cells have been rounded up, domestic terrorism is a thing of the very long distance past, and our politicians and federal state county and local law enforcement have things well in hand.

no country in their right mind would think of causeing us the holy police force of the world any harm. i have first hand proof that the so called insurgents want to give all the bullets back to our soldiers!!!!!!!!!! hell one of them even gave me a bullet personally!

and in the spirit of fair trade we gave him about 200 back in trade for him or his friends to do with as they wished! now in an market thats a damn fine return!

so stop with all your stupid conspiracy theorys! the goverment dosen't get rid of all your guns! they just want you to give them to people who know how to use them! our goverment cops, state county and city law enforcement only want to protect us and keep the children safe form those bad guns!

the goverment is only trying to make things easier for our law enforcement! how are they supposed to tell a bad guy with a gun from a good guy with a gun??? well thats easy! ban all guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how easy is that! with the stroke of a pen and a vote the problem would be solved! :uhoh:

now to you "what iffers" out there,,what if a good guy goes and gets a gun to protect his family and kids from all those nasty criminals who just wont fall in line with the law?? well thats easy! since all guns were/are banned then he would be by default a bad guy, hence a criminal and it would be a free to fire incident!:monkey

infallible logic there! how easy, our law enforcement wouln't even have to think about wether it was a good guy/bad guy, since all people with guns are bad guys/girls!!!!

finally a law that makes sense! :cry:

so stop with your stupid sad theories about "gun control" or "eves dropping" and just find something else to do besides waste everyones time with silly, obamas gonna take yor guns crap!:cuss:

with our military being the worlds police force and all the good will that brings us we wont have any issue with people wanting to do bad things here in america.:lol:

with a complete and total ban on those nasty guns we won't be able to shoot anyone anymore! and with our cops finally able to police without haveing to worry about shooting the wrong person this will finally be the happiest place on earth!:banghead:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I read the print version today. Not sure if it is identical.

Something conspicuous by its absence was the idea from police that if they are respecting citizen and suspect rights as given in law, it matters little whether they are being recorded.

The closest approach was a police comment to the effect that cops should assume they are being recorded. Huh!?! Don't do anything wrong because you might be recorded? WTF? Why not just demand respect for rights regardless of the possibility of recording, the recording business will take care of itself. In fact, suddenly the police trainers can say, "The video will prove you followed the law."

Of course, it may just be that the editor scratched out those quotes.

The union official comment was telling. He did not say, "We welcome the prevalence of recorders. It helps us get rid of bad cops and correc the borderline cops." His concern was that something bad might happen. A cop might hesitate in a split second decision scenario or something along those lines.

Michigander

His concern was that something bad might happen. A cop might hesitate in a split second decision scenario or something along those lines.

An incredibly bogus misconception in my opinion.

Most long timers in the non free states of this forum such as Michigan, or Virgina which is a state where you earned the title citizen, we've experienced our fair shares of police misconduct, and we've minimally experienced some very tense situations in that regard. In terms of any dangerous situation, when things go real far south, I think many here have experienced that you can lose sight of the fact you're recording someone, or that they're recording you. When fight or flight adrenalin pumps through your system, a recording becomes a side issue. You will possibly know in the back of your head to keep the recorder going, but the more potentially deadly the situation, the less the recording means until it's all over.

If a cop can't handle being recorded for fear of hesitation, that cop should have failed the psyche test, and should at best be given rubber gun duties for the duration of their employment as a public servant.

Last edited: