• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Upcoming visit to Wisconsin

FrayedString

Hello,

I will be visiting WI (Madison/Verona) for some work-related training in January (12-15). I have made this trip several times before, though I have never come armed in the past. Typically I find myself bored in the evenings and take a taxi or walk around town to kill the time, and I've ended up in some places that I've felt like I shouldn't have; so I am wondering if it would be worth the hassle to bring something along this time. It's my understanding that WI does not allow concealed carry under any circumstances (what a bummer); and while I do OC a bit around my own stomping grounds I am admittedly much more comfortable with my surroundings here than I am there. So I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding whether or not it be worth the hassle of checking a firearm, or would I be better off to just check my knife, or even hide in my hotel room instead of killing time around town?

Thanks for any advice!

paul@paul-fisher.com

There are 5 places you can't OC in WI:

1. In a place that serves alcohol by the drink without prior permission from the manager/owner.
2. In a government building.
3. KNOWINGLY within 1000' of school property on public property.
4. In a state park
5. In a vehicle.

Madison is one of the more troubling area, rights wise. I was issued a disorderly conduct ticket earlier this year.

Carry On!

oak1971

Maybe the Madison 5 should swing out that way and show you the sights. Maybe hit the Culvers for some burgers?

M

McX

Maybe the Madison 5 should swing out that way and show you the sights. Maybe hit the Culvers for some burgers?

were 'fraind, and 'timidated to go to madison, hence the lawsuit right now. i'll wait till i aint 'fraid no more, and Madison is fully sued! welcome to the state for a visit though! remember car carry in this state is: unloaded and encased, not in reach is just a court opinion. i keep mine (unloaded and encased) right on the front damn seat, right damn next to me......................all the damn time (had to add that one before someone else did).

lockman

State Researcher
I do not know what your attire is, but when I am not in an education mood I will carry a Glock 36 in a black Serpa with a black shirt. Blends very well and most people don't notice or at least don't care. In cooler weather I have a black sweatshirt I can tuck behind the gun. In real cold weather I have no OC experience at all.

As for the GFSZ, hopefully that will be addressed in the new year by the legislature or the courts.

oak1971

were 'fraind, and 'timidated to go to madison, hence the lawsuit right now. i'll wait till i aint 'fraid no more, and Madison is fully sued! welcome to the state for a visit though! remember car carry in this state is: unloaded and encased, not in reach is just a court opinion. i keep mine (unloaded and encased) right on the front damn seat, right damn next to me......................all the damn time (had to add that one before someone else did).

Isn't that in your "lunge area"? I keep mine in the hatchback area of my car.