• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some Leading Causes of Death in the US and reasons

Pace

Heart disease: 616,067 -- hamburgers not working out enough. Ban McDonalds.
Cancer: 562,875 -- cigarettes, **** in food, cars, industry. Ban anything that has carcinogens (including McDonalds)
Diabetes: 71,382 -- hamburgers, fat kids. Ban McDonalds
Cars: 42,643 -- drunk drivers, cars. Ban Cars and Alcohol.
Firearm Murders 9,369 -- 45% are gang related, 30% are kids, almost all from illegal guns. Ban Guns.

Ok, so what about we don't ban guns, but allow just police to carry guns?

Killings by Police Officers: 200-300 per year
Killing by Citizens of Crooks: 600-1500 per year
Mistakes by Police Officers: 11%
Mistakes by Civilians: 2%

MKEgal

While I'm willing to believe those numbers seem about right, they'd be a lot more convincing (esp. for the anti's) if you included citations to the studies that produced them. (Kinda like the GunFacts PDF does.)

added: In fact, isn't "cite to authority" one of the forum rules? I remember something like that... have to look it up.

Last edited:

Pace

Eh, give me a break. It's just a point to be made...

While I'm willing to believe those numbers seem about right, they'd be a lot more convincing (esp. for the anti's) if you included citations to the studies that produced them. (Kinda like the GunFacts PDF does.)

added: In fact, isn't "cite to authority" one of the forum rules? I remember something like that... have to look it up.

sudden valley gunner

Firearm Murders 9,369 -- 45% are gang related, 30% are kids, almost all from illegal guns. Ban Guns.

Ok, so what about we don't ban guns, but allow just police to carry guns?

Killings by Police Officers: 200-300 per year
Killing by Citizens of Crooks: 600-1500 per year
Mistakes by Police Officers: 11%
Mistakes by Civilians: 2%

Just a side point to make to, "kids" many cases they include ages up to 25.

I did an essay on this once and researched through cdc.gov and Doj,gov the statistics.

You are right the majority are gang related and up to 95% of those who die by a firearm are "criminals". DOJ and CDC both have changed how you can get the statistics but if someone is studious and good at math they are still buried in there.

"Accidental deaths" of children by my study are very very rare, under a certain age you are 900%+ more likely to die by the hands of your own parents than by a firearm (accidentally or purposefully), some who use guns to kill their children which would skew that statistic astronomically toward parent abuse statistic. Interestingly enough I think it was only 6 or 7% likely hood to die by hands of your father acting alone 27% by hands of mother acting alone been awhile since I looked into it could be a little fuzzy on the details.

eye95

...added: In fact, isn't "cite to authority" one of the forum rules? I remember something like that... have to look it up.

Not in the sense you are trying to apply it. The rule specifically refers to assertions of law. Honesty in rhetoric, not the rules, demands citations when the factuality of an assertion is questioned.

robin.kevin

almost all from illegal guns... so if you ban guns that take away the legal guns... wait these murders where with illegal guns so we are going to ban the legal ones so that only illegal guns will be left? This makes since cause then they can remove the "almost" for that and just put "all for illegal guns" on the next survey.

People are blind and stupid...

TrailRunner

... And 70% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Arguments about objects that are more likely causes of death that firearms are legitimate only when you can back them up. I'd like to believe these numbers are true, but without access to the backing reports and no citations I'm effectively forced to reject them.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Eh, give me a break. It's just a point to be made...

No, seriously, and I back up MKEgal's request.

It's not that we don't believe you, as the stats look "about right" from what I've read, too, but when cited from properly researched studies, they pack a lot more weight, and I can use them elsewhere, such as on a few websites I frequent which are mainly packed with PhDs.

They'll consider the studies.

sudden valley gunner

... And 70% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Arguments about objects that are more likely causes of death that firearms are legitimate only when you can back them up. I'd like to believe these numbers are true, but without access to the backing reports and no citations I'm effectively forced to reject them.

Do you have a cite or source for that statistic? :D