• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB93 out of committee

Pyro01

I'm still listening to the hearing, and that is what I was expecting, but Senator Risser and Erpanbach sure like to beat around the bush. Senator Galloway and Kedzie are awesome!

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Risser and Erpanbach took a play out of the old playbook "If you can't convince them with facts, dazzle them with b## S###. Something the anti's are quite skillful at.

All Erpanbach did was waste everyones time, he just wanted to hear his own voice all afternoon as he is in love with himself ! Erpenbach said, all the polls he has seen say that the Majority wants training ?????? What polls are these ? And Risser, that old fart needs to go.

I wonder when this will be schedualed for a floor vote in the senate ??

Last edited:

safcrkr

Risser is a dinosaur. We would have had CC since 2002 if it weren't for him and Chuckie "felon" Chavala. The 2001-02 version of a PPA had already passed the Assembly (58-40), and the votes were there in a Dem majority Senate. Scott McCallum was Guv, and he said he'd sign it. But Risser (Senate Pres) and Chavala (majority leader) used another play from the Dem playbook, and prevented a vote by "pretending" not to hear Sen. Dave Zien (bill's author) and Sen. Mary Panzer (minority leader) try to bring it up on the floor before adjournment. I listened to it live on the internet, and I still recall Mary Panzer screaming at the top of her lungs "Mr. Pres, I OBJECT!!!!" as Risser, Chavala, and the other Dems filed out of the chamber, laughing as they left. The adjournment in question was not just for the day, but for the session! Risser and Chavala killed CC in WI on March 13th, 2002, by adjourning the Senate a week ahead of schedule to avoid a vote on CC, because they knew it'd pass. Dems leaving to avoid a vote sound familiar? Betcha they try some shenanigans to block this bill.

Last edited:
M

McX

i wont get excited until i see true Constitutional Carry, and their bogus cant do this, and cant do that's are removed. this bill is a rail job to a permit. buy it or wish you had, from the comfort of some jail cell.

protias

All Erpanbach did was waste everyones time, he just wanted to hear his own voice all afternoon as he is in love with himself ! Erpenbach said, all the polls he has seen say that the Majority wants training ?????? What polls are these ? And Risser, that old fart needs to go.

I wonder when this will be schedualed for a floor vote in the senate ??
I guess he listen to all the public testimony when this was being heard. :rolleyes:

paul@paul-fisher.com

i wont get excited until i see true Constitutional Carry, and their bogus cant do this, and cant do that's are removed. this bill is a rail job to a permit. buy it or wish you had, from the comfort of some jail cell.

Steve, as it is written, WI won't send you to jail for carrying in a GFSZ without a permit, it is a 'forfeiture', basically, a traffic ticket and you forfeit some money. Without a permit, you would go to Federal prison, however, until WCI is successful with their lawsuit.

I agree with you that we need it fixed, however, no matter what WI does, we can't get around the permit requirement for the Federal GFSZ. I specifically talked to the NRA lobbyist about the language MY had inserted in their law to get around it and he said that it wouldn't stand court muster.

M

McX

Steve, as it is written, WI won't send you to jail for carrying in a GFSZ without a permit, it is a 'forfeiture', basically, a traffic ticket and you forfeit some money. Without a permit, you would go to Federal prison, however, until WCI is successful with their lawsuit.

I agree with you that we need it fixed, however, no matter what WI does, we can't get around the permit requirement for the Federal GFSZ. I specifically talked to the NRA lobbyist about the language MY had inserted in their law to get around it and he said that it wouldn't stand court muster.

the problem for me is you are issued something. you get a ticket, whatever, you are labelled as violating the law, while the permit holder is some how above me?!!! i'd say too you rack up enough of those fines, and magically your permit will get yanked. i 'spect you to have my bail money ready.

paul@paul-fisher.com

the problem for me is you are issued something. you get a ticket, whatever, you are labelled as violating the law, while the permit holder is some how above me?!!! i'd say too you rack up enough of those fines, and magically your permit will get yanked. i 'spect you to have my bail money ready.

I really need to see the version that passed out of committee to properly answer this, however, as of yesterday, the accumulation of fines would not preclude you from getting a permit and also, only if you do not pay the fines would you ever be arrested (legitimately).

As I said, I want to see what the committee approved and sent to the Senate to see if they fixed any of the GFSZ issues that were identified.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I just quickly scanned SB93 and the 'super amendment' and find no reference to churches/places of worship.

What you might of heard was that Erpenback and/or Risser offered an amendment (or two) to add all sorts of exceptions. They were voted down. Maybe one of them had churches.

We really need to see the 'clean' (sorry McX) version of the bill that will be put into the full Senate.

apjonas

The Fact Is

you did violate the law. Now Hamlet might say GFSZ is "more honour'd in the breach than the observance," but the permit holder obtained a special dispensation by following the instructions of those in the position to grant the dispensation. The permit holder may not be above you but he isn't going to fork over the $. Since he has the dispensation, he need not worry about losing his permit (for GFSZ carry anyway).

Captain Nemo

SB93 has a long way to go. We can't sit on our laurels and baske in victory yet. Now that SB93 is out of committee it must go through two more readings in the Senate. During those readings any number of amendments can be presented and debated, even to the point of a total rewrite. After the third reading and debate the bill is voted on. If the vote is successful the bill then goes to the second house (in this case the assembly) and the process is repeated. If the second house passes the bill with amendments that differs the bill from the originating house version then the differences have to be reconciled. After the reconciliation process the bill goes to the LRB for final construction. The final step is that the bill is presented to the governor for signing or veto. The governor has six business days to do so.

The fat lady ain't sung yet. We must keep the pressure on, especially because the Assembly and Senate licensing requirements differ significantly.

rcav8r

I just quickly scanned SB93 and the 'super amendment' and find no reference to churches/places of worship.

What you might of heard was that Erpenback and/or Risser offered an amendment (or two) to add all sorts of exceptions. They were voted down. Maybe one of them had churches.

We really need to see the 'clean' (sorry McX) version of the bill that will be put into the full Senate.

Risser offered up the first amendment (after the super amendment). It contained the usual list of "banned" places to carry...churches, gov't buildings, parks, daycares, taverns, etc, but it was quickly amended to just the capitol. In fact, I think it was erpy that motioned that it be changed to that. I was kind of surprised how relatively easy they gave up. Maybe they really did see the reality of a 3-2 vote and let it go. They will probably wait til the full vote where risser can foam at the mouth, flop on the floor, and yell "never in my 50 years as a senator...".
We still have a long way to go, so be prepared to visit the capitol whenever the bill comes up to show support for it. It'd be nice to see nothing but orange "guns save lives" buttons in the audience when these come up for the full votes.

We all know they will try to squeeze in all kinds of bad amendments into this bill on the floor, inlcuding mandatory training, public or police accessible records, banned places, fees, langauge that changes the intent, punishments, etc.

baldp8

Risser is a worthless POS. I hate the fact that he is from my district. He has never once so much as responded to any letter or email I have ever sent him about anything. :banghead:

Mlutz

Look, its the magic 1000 ft crime free zone

"8
17. Any place that is within 1,000 feet of a polling place on an election day."."