• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to Socal, girlfriend conserned about OC'ing in bad parts of town. Advice?

Thejoyofdriving

Hello,

Im going on vacation with my girlfriend and we will be passing through and spending a night or two in some "bad parts" of long beach - I am told. Ive never been to socal, but she has been down their a lot. Her brother and sister which live in LA and have been to these bad parts(and have had bad encounters). They are cautioning me that open carry might be a bad idea. They are saying that OC'ing through these "bad parts of town" will bring unwanted attention from criminals. They are concerned someone might see my pretty gun and want to take it or a gang member might feel threatened that I'm invading his territory with a gun....or something.

Now, I don't know about all this. I get where they are coming from. There are two schools of thought, one that OC'ing will draw bad attention and get me in trouble i wouldn't be in other wise, and the other is that It will present me as a "hard target" and thus the criminals/gang members will steer clear.

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. I figure it would be best to ask the advice from people that have open carried in these "bad areas" and see if anyone has any words of wisdom or if anyone has had any problems.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Have your friends ever open carried in these bad parts of town? Have your friends read of bad experiences for open carriers in those parts? If not, it's all conjecture based on people's misconceptions. If you listen to elected officials talk about how armed people cause problems then you would know that we force police officers to come and protect us, that nothing ever bad happens at burger joints, and that everybody will have to wear bulletproof vests if open carry isn't outlawed.

Face it, your friends likely don't know what they're talking about. I haven't seen Cato around, but if you're going to open carry, Long Beach a good place to do it for the sole reason that you may get a police officer to come up and hug you. How could you pass up that chance?

Thejoyofdriving

Have your friends ever open carried in these bad parts of town? Have your friends read of bad experiences for open carriers in those parts? If not, it's all conjecture based on people's misconceptions. If you listen to elected officials talk about how armed people cause problems then you would know that we force police officers to come and protect us, that nothing ever bad happens at burger joints, and that everybody will have to wear bulletproof vests if open carry isn't outlawed.

Face it, your friends likely don't know what they're talking about. I haven't seen Cato around, but if you're going to open carry, Long Beach a good place to do it for the sole reason that you may get a police officer to come up and hug you. How could you pass up that chance?

No, neither of them have carried. But like I said, they have lived there for some time. I don't think their concerns are illogical. I just came here for advice since I think people who have actually carried in those parts are more qualified to give me advice.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Ryan Burbridge has carried there on a regular basis and I believe there was another member of this forum that has talked about carrying in Long Beach, I don't know if he ever did. Where is the bad area of Long Beach anyway?

Badger Johnson

In Cali, with the req. to be unloaded, I'd be skeered...but that's just me. In my prime when I feared no man (lol), I looked out my hotel window in LA and said to myself - no way I'd ever go walking around there (Compton or East LA). Might be safer as a team, two couples all four OC-ing. Let us know how it works out.

hgreen

Hello,

They are cautioning me that open carry might be a bad idea. They are saying that OC'ing through these "bad parts of town" will bring unwanted attention from criminals. They are concerned someone might see my pretty gun and want to take it or a gang member might feel threatened that I'm invading his territory with a gun....or something.

These are the typical anti-OC arguments. They don't hold any water, see: http://virginiaopencarry.org/

The only thing you should be concerned about in terms of OC in that area are school zones so you don't end up going to jail.

Thejoyofdriving

I was hoping to get some more first hand stories from people who live there. Unless someone chimes in and says "No! Dont do it! I carried in those bad parts and got jumped because of it" I guess I will carry, and just be extra careful. The advantages seem to out weight the risk.

HandyHamlet

Here is a crazy idea.

DON'T GO.

:banghead:

Don't knowingly put yourself or your loved ones in harms way. Then there is no rock or hard place or need to solicit advise over the internet.

Thejoyofdriving

Here is a crazy idea.

DON'T GO.

:banghead:

Don't knowingly put yourself or your loved ones in harms way. Then there is no rock or hard place or need to solicit advise over the internet.

I have a special opportunity to take a much needed vacation on Catalina island. The only way we can get the scheduling to work is to stay a night/day in a hotel near the airport. But I didn't come on here to ask for vacation planning advice or to be told where or how to take my vacation. There are risks in life. You have to deal with it. I came here to try and get advice on what the best way to approach this situation. The Internet happens to be my only resource as I don't know anyone who carries down there.

cato

I have a special opportunity to take a much needed vacation on Catalina island. The only way we can get the scheduling to work is to stay a night/day in a hotel near the airport. But I didn't come on here to ask for vacation planning advice or to be told where or how to take my vacation. There are risks in life. You have to deal with it. I came here to try and get advice on what the best way to approach this situation. The Internet happens to be my only resource as I don't know anyone who carries down there.

Fear school zones most of all and have a LTD denial (recording devices and friendly witnesses should not have to be mentioned but I do.)

You've don this? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=366342

Thejoyofdriving

Fear school zones most of all and have a LTD denial (recording devices and friendly witnesses should not have to be mentioned but I do.)

You've don this? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=366342

Yes, school zones are my biggest fear. I have a lot of them near me too. I will likely map out the entire area before hand or use my iphone to find schools near by.

I have not applied for a CCW yet. I will eventually. Right now I have a bogus arrest on my record(DA didnt prosecute, I shouldnt have been arrested). I want to try and get that removed before I do anything. If i submitted that letter to my sheriffs dept I am 95% sure that he would deny the permit request in a blink of the eye. In my county, self defense is not considered "good cause". You need something more substantial, like someone has threatened to kill you. I do have some good cause, and I plan to apply but I want my first application to be my last. It doesn't look good if you have had a permit denied in the past. So I am going to do it right the first time.

Also, thats sucks that the CGF wont assist normal open carriers with legal troubles.... I didnt know they were so "pro CCW".

HandyHamlet

I came here to try and get advice on what the best way to approach this situation.

And I gave you some. Don't like the truth?

The title is "Traveling to Socal, girlfriend conserned about OC'ing in bad parts of town. Advice?" The advice is don't go. If you are going to make up excuses then stay in your room until it's time to depart. No one is forcing you to do anything, especially OCing in bad parts of town, except you. You want to subject your girlfriend to that then fine. Go for it. I'm sure she will enjoy YOUR vacation immensely.

:p

hgreen

Also, thats sucks that the CGF wont assist normal open carriers with legal troubles.... I didnt know they were so "pro CCW".

Not that I'm a CGF fanboy, but why would you expect anyone other than yourself to assist in your legal troubles?

Sounds like a very typical CA entitlement attitude, "someone else should bail me out if I get in a bad situation"...

If you are going to carry a firearm (OC or CC) ANYWHERE you should be prepared to defend yourself legally meaning have at least 10k$ in the bank or available to spend on legal fees.

cato

Yes, school zones are my biggest fear. I have a lot of them near me too. I will likely map out the entire area before hand or use my iphone to find schools near by.

I have not applied for a CCW yet. I will eventually. Right now I have a bogus arrest on my record(DA didnt prosecute, I shouldnt have been arrested). I want to try and get that removed before I do anything. If i submitted that letter to my sheriffs dept I am 95% sure that he would deny the permit request in a blink of the eye. In my county, self defense is not considered "good cause". You need something more substantial, like someone has threatened to kill you. I do have some good cause, and I plan to apply but I want my first application to be my last. It doesn't look good if you have had a permit denied in the past. So I am going to do it right the first time.

Get your LTC denial from the Sheriff. It will save your bacon if arrested for a possession charge.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=347348

CGF is the ONLY civil rights group to have defended UOCers wrongly arrested and charged in CA. That doesn't guarantee they will take all cases as it is their money and defensive criminal cases remove monies from offensive civil action.

Freedom is not free. Please donate.

http://calgunsfoundation.org/about/what-has-cgf-done-for-me-lately.html

Last edited:

Thejoyofdriving

Get your LTC denial from the Sheriff. It will save your bacon if arrested for a possession charge.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=347348

CGF is the ONLY civil rights group to have defended UOCers wrongly arrested and charged in CA. That doesn't guarantee they will take all cases as it is their money and defensive criminal cases remove monies from offensive civil action.

Freedom is not free. Please donate.

http://calgunsfoundation.org/about/what-has-cgf-done-for-me-lately.html

My comment was biased on this sentence. "CGF remains unwilling to defend UOC cases generally." Maybe they are more willing than they put off :question: I just donated what I could.

So you feel that I should screw waiting to get my record sealed and go for it even if I have a greater chance of failing? Im very concerned that getting turned down for a CCW once will look very bad the next time I try to apply. I get the point of doing it though.

Last edited:

Thejoyofdriving

Not that I'm a CGF fanboy, but why would you expect anyone other than yourself to assist in your legal troubles?

Sounds like a very typical CA entitlement attitude, "someone else should bail me out if I get in a bad situation"...

If you are going to carry a firearm (OC or CC) ANYWHERE you should be prepared to defend yourself legally meaning have at least 10k$ in the bank or available to spend on legal fees.

I'm a youngster, going through college and don't have 10k collecting dust in the bank. :(

scott26

I'm a youngster, going through college and don't have 10k collecting dust in the bank. :(

I am all for OC when you can do it legally and correctly, I don't OC right now for the fact that I can't afford an attorney if I needed one, maybe you should do the same.

There are bad parts everywhere, why not drive to a good part? If that is not an option choose a different form of self defense that is more widely accepted and not at noticeable (knife, pepper spray, or a taser).

My advice is to choose your hotel wisely and if you want to bring a gun do it, bring it with you into the hotel and lock it up in the car (with ease of access if needed) when driving, I mean it is not like you are going to be roaming the streets in this bad neighborhood anyway right?

Last edited: