• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Spokane Best Buy

Metalhead47

Illegaler is a sicker bird than an illegal. That or something that is double secret against the law. :)

Enlighten us O lawyerly one, exactly what is the semantical difference between illegal and unlawful? According to my ever accurate iPhone spelling corrector, illegal is actually a word. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o2ryan

Cubex,

Sorry I found this thread so late, you have obviously discovered that there is actually no issue carrying on the STA bus. I just wanted to confirm that by saying that I and others on this forum have OC'd on the STA lines countless times without hassle in the last two years. The drivers are very informed of the law and the signs are meant to communicate that no illegal weapons are allowed on the bus. They do not communicate that very well, they do help an ignorant public feel warm and cozy.

So to this I say, Keep Calm and Carry On... the STA bus anywhere you want to go. Afterall, it is "how a great city moves".;)

Hope to see you at a meetup soon.

Ryan

amlevin

Just remember, regardless of the "legality" or accuracy of the signs, you still can't OC on the bus until you get your CPL unless you're willing to unload and reload with every trip. Could be several times per trip if transfers are involved and you have a wait between buses.

Last edited:

country.hacker

Got an email back from the STA spokesperson today:
Dear Mr. Sinclair,

Thank you for your email about the signs on the buses stating that no firearms or weapons are allowed.

As I am sure you noticed, the "Rules of the Road" signs on the buses do not list all of the behaviors prohibited by the Spokane Transit Authority (STA) Rules of Conduct. Furthermore, the behaviors highlighted on this sign are in a truncated format when compared to the Rules of Conduct. It is the complete, STA Board-adopted Rules of Conduct that govern STA's reaction to fact-based situations.

I understand your concern that the signage on the bus may confuse people as to their rights under Washington State law. I can tell you that no one has expressed such confusion to me, which usually is indicative of a lack of confusion about STA's rules, policies, and procedures. But, you'll be glad to know, that I had already requested that this statement either be removed or better explained on the next edition of the "Rules of the Road" signage. You will notice a change in the signs next year.

In the meantime, Spokane Transit's operators, supervisors, and security officers are all trained on the official Rules of Conduct, thus there is no risk of confusion on their part. If a passenger questioned the summary statement on the Rules of the Road, I believe a bus operator would refer that person to the actual Rules of Conduct.

I cannot promise you (or anyone) that bringing a weapon on a bus is per se permissible in every situation. I can promise you that Spokane Transit deals with all situations within the limits of the law, including a fact specific analysis of the circumstances, manner, time, place and intent factors established in RCW 9.41.270.

Thank you again for writing. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Susan Millbank
Community Ombudsman
Accessibility Officer
Spokane Transit

So there's been no confusion regarding the rules, all bus drivers understand that OC is allowed, and they're changing the signs next year. Hooray!

MKEgal

country.hacker said:
...had to get dinner on as soon as we got home...
Waidaminnint - that post was 26DEC.
Most houses I know have leftovers galore from the day before.

...my wife threw her hands up and exclaimed "Favorite Best Buy employee EVER!"
Compliment card to the manager, or email/call national cust. svc.
1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289)
a) it helps reinforce to BB that customers carry & spend $$ in their stores
b) it helps Cubex directly (compliments are always a good thing)

Cubex said:
...ever notice that we OC'ers are way more careful about obeying the law, and knowing exactly what it says, than the people who get upset by OC?
Definitely!
Probably because the people who lie, get upset, & upset others (Brady Bunch, Joyce Foundation) aren't really affected by the laws, since very few of them carry. (There are some antis who carry, & there are some people who carry for work who are anti-citizen-self-protection.)

Those laws directly affect us, esp. if we get them wrong.
It's a little like the difference between the fox running for its supper & the hare running for its life.

Most OCers I know (at least locally) know more about the firearms laws which apply to citizens than the police & DAs who are supposed to enforce those laws.

I was at a townhall meeting about our [WI] new cc law at the end of OCT, & our county DA told a friend & I afterwards that we knew the law better than he & his staff!
Wish he'd remember that & tell his underling to leave me alone... :cuss:

Last edited:

Cubex DE

I got the same email in response. Hopefully it isn't just words, and the signs do end up getting changed. It's good to know that the drivers are educated.

You raise a good point about unloading and reloading. That would be a pain. Dropping the 55 bucks for a CPL seems a lot easier!

Thanks for suggesting the compliments to corporate... but remember, as I said in my original post, I speak for myself and not for Best Buy. My views are not necessarily theirs ;) I have to be really careful about that. I would rather that you thanked Best Buy for allowing OC, rather than thanking them because I encourage it.

Thor80

I think the point was to get some official recognition in complimenting you and the way that you handle(d) things. Mr Modest..... Its always nice to have your boss give you notice that your customers appreciate what YOU are doing for THEM at the store. :)

-Thor

Batousaii

I got the same email in response. Hopefully it isn't just words, and the signs do end up getting changed. It's good to know that the drivers are educated.

You raise a good point about unloading and reloading. That would be a pain.
Dropping the 55 bucks for a CPL seems a lot easier!

Thanks for suggesting the compliments to corporate... but remember, as I said in my original post, I speak for myself and not for Best Buy. My views are not necessarily theirs ;) I have to be really careful about that. I would rather that you thanked Best Buy for allowing OC, rather than thanking them because I encourage it.

You will need the CPL to open carry loaded on the bus, as it is a vehicle - So Yes, get it. Also the CPL allows you alot more flexibility in carry styles too (incase you get chilly, or anything hangs over your holster. It's just a good idea.

Bat :)