• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When Was the Last Time You Contacted Your Representative?

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Between the U.N. Small Arms Treaty (which failed) and the shooting in Aurora and the renewed argument over gun control, the natural question that arises is:
When was the last time you contacted your U.S. Senate or U.S. House Representative to make you sentiments known?

These guys are elected to represent you and me. They pay attention to polls, and they very much want to keep their namby-pamby jobs! If they hear from one of us, no big deal. If they hear from 10 of us, that is interesting. If they hear from 100 of us, they start taking notice. If they hear from 1,000 of us, they become concerned. If they hear from 100,000 of us, the constituents who voted them into office, they start thinking they might be just as easily voted out of office. When they hear from 1,000,000 of us, they most emphatically shake in their very expensive shoes.

My opinion is that we ought to be all over these guys like white on rice. We need to rattle their cages to let them know we won't tolerate any attack on our rights under the Constitution. We need to remind them that we can donate money and time to their opponent in the next election if they are not willing to serve the wishes of their constituents. We need them to hear from us in droves.

There are millions of gun owners across America. There are a few hundred congressmen and senators running the show.
Let them hear from a large number of us, and they'll be running for their political lives.

My intention is to contact every member of the Colorado delegation to our national government on Monday.
I hope everybody does the same. Let them hear the roar, and fear the tigers!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

OMG there are people who still believe ! Have faith brother !

Howdy David!
Does that mean you do not believe they notice an uptick in calls or mail coming at them on an issue?
Whether I believe or not isn't really relevant. Whether they believe we are serious is what matters.
And if they think they could suddenly be ousted in the next election, that's what they care about.
They love their cushy jobs. They sure don't want to lose them.
They need to be reminded who they work for.
And that if they do not perform to our (citizen's) expectations, they can be replaced by somebody who does!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

My intention is to contact every member of the Colorado delegation to our national government on Monday.
I hope everybody does the same. Let them hear the roar, and fear the tigers!

IMNSHO, it's as, if not more, important to contact state and local. That is where the most direct effect on our day to day lives happens. They're also often more acessible. Our family sat across from a state rep hanging out with our mayor at the town Independance Day festival while enjoying our burgers and dogs. Today, my daughters' folklorico dance group staged right next to the Repubs for the Boulder County Fair parade. My wife had a chat with a lodge brother of mine running for state rep.

M-Taliesin

IMNSHO, it's as, if not more, important to contact state and local. That is where the most direct effect on our day to day lives happens. They're also often more acessible. Our family sat across from a state rep hanging out with our mayor at the town Independance Day festival while enjoying our burgers and dogs. Today, my daughters' folklorico dance group staged right next to the Repubs for the Boulder County Fair parade. My wife had a chat with a lodge brother of mine running for state rep.

Howdy Pard!
Yeah, but....
The ATT would not be ratified at the state level. That would be a purely national issue.
Any proposed national AWB would also likely take place at the national level.

That isn't to say we should ignore our state reps. Fine and dandy, of course, keep their feet to the fire.
But I haven't heard too much about state reps expressing a desire to institute a AWB.

But I have heard it from Perlmutter. He is a United States House of Representatives kinda guy.
Despite a 41% increase in the number of folks signing up for CBI/FBI background checks for a gun purchase after 7/20,
and without heed to the fact that local instructors are being innundated for firearms classes and CCW training,
he stated he believes we need to give that failed policy another whirl.
We all should be pounding on him because of that stand.
And he ain't alone.
Degette also said something similar, as I recall.

We need to coach them on appropriate representation of their constituency.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

The ATT would not be ratified at the state level. That would be a purely national issue.
Any proposed national AWB would also likely take place at the national level.

As you noted in the other thread, neither one has a snowball's chance of getting seriously discussed.

But I have heard it from Perlmutter. He is a United States House of Representatives kinda guy.
Despite a 41% increase in the number of folks signing up for CBI/FBI background checks for a gun purchase after 7/20,
and without heed to the fact that local instructors are being innundated for firearms classes and CCW training,
he stated he believes we need to give that failed policy another whirl.
We all should be pounding on him because of that stand.
And he ain't alone.
Degette also said something similar, as I recall.

We need to coach them on appropriate representation of their constituency.

I'm not a consituent of either of them. I'm getting broken record here, but national gun control is so low priority and such a swing issue, and my district is so red, I've got more interesting things to crow about. WithIN the state, however, there are gun control issues I can make my opinion on. And naught for nothin', gun control isn't the only thing I'm concerned about being represented on. For the candidates/representatives that I KNOW will agree with me on that issue, I've got an earful to give them on others.

When Perlmutter stops jerking off a couple drops out to rally his base and actually gets a bill drafted, or even introduced in comittee, then I'll give a gecko's toenail. In the meantime, he can go p!$$ up a rope.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Howdy David!
Does that mean you do not believe they notice an uptick in calls or mail coming at them on an issue?
Whether I believe or not isn't really relevant. Whether they believe we are serious is what matters.
And if they think they could suddenly be ousted in the next election, that's what they care about.
They love their cushy jobs. They sure don't want to lose them.
They need to be reminded who they work for.
And that if they do not perform to our (citizen's) expectations, they can be replaced by somebody who does!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I called the big man in the white house ... he did not take my call but one of his aids said she would deliver the message ... And no, they (white house) do not care unless the NAACP complains, ...IMO .................. Have faith !

But I have worked with my local representatives regarding gun control issues (and other non-gun related issues) ... both of my democratic reps were puzzled with my recent permit application appeal process. In CT, ya see, one cannot leave the house w/o a permit ... but I have a right to practice so they have to give me a permit IMO .. my democratic reps said "hmmmm, maybe our laws are too restrictive" .. now they'll have to give me a permit - stupid state laws that they pass trying to screw us -- I've turned their screwing into screwing them...in CT there is a "suitability" requirement for a permit to be issued but I'm pretty much an a**hole on gun issues but they'll STILL have to issue because I have the right to practice and I cannot do that w/o a permit. I've been waiting for case law to support my viewpoint & so far, all my pre-admin hearing motions have been favorable toward my viewpoints. I am blazing a trail, kicking arse and taking names!

I scared the crap out of my state senator lady when I showed up at her home to discuss magazine limits of 10 rds/mag ... a retarded notion pushed by idiots - it got defeated in a big smack-down. My state reps can't hide from me .. I go and seek them out and let them know my viewpoints. Most "appreciate" my civic involvement.

I have visited state reps at their house unannounced and US congressmen, and US senators too. they don't want to call me back eh? Surprise! I'm here! None have ever called the cops or said "get the hell outta here" so I'll give 'em that. They all let me talk to them as long as I wanted to. But none offered me a refreshment :( bummer. And I have gone to judge's houses too on occasion -- they really don't like it and all told me to "get the hell off my land" and their body guards pop up to show you the way out. No refreshments there either. Cheapskates.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

they really don't like it and all told me to "get the hell off my land" and their body guards pop up to show you the way out. No refreshments there either. Cheapskates.

Howdy Pard!
Well, you know most of them have a BYOB policy at their social parties too!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

twoskinsonemanns

I hope you guys get more respect from your reps than I do.
I generally contact my reps on a regular bases. I usually get no response or something pathetically condescending.

Might latest response went something like this:

"Dear Correspondent,

Thank you for your communication regarding this important issue.
Rest assured I have taken your concerns very seriously.
I will work hard to represent my constituents in this important issue.

Your Representative,

Shelley Moore Capito

ugh!

Scotsman

I generally contact my reps on a regular bases. I usually get no response or something pathetically condescending.

"Dear Correspondent,

Your Representative,

Shelley Moore Capito

ugh!

Doesn't that annoy the hell out of you? I know exactly how you feel. You take the time to write your senators/reps about something for which you are passionate and you get some generic castrated reply that at best rides the fence. I'm not a big fan of MOST politicians and honestly the only thing I would like to see most of them riding is the end of my boot! I know some here will disagree and that is fine. It is your right to dissent but we need patriots in Washington not politicians. I was always under the impression that going to Washington was a civic duty to this country not a life-long career path on the teet of the tax payer. :question:

Last edited:

Maine Expat

I just emailed them yesterday about the stealthy "capacity" bill.

I've also started working with my State Reps (& pro 2A Gov.) to make a change to our Statute that requires OCers to unload before getting in the car (or boat). I have 1 Rep & 1 Sen and I just happened to have worked with the Rep's BIL when I was in the Air Guard so I may have an "in" there.

defcon4

I lived in and worked in maryland for almost 30 years. I hated Maryland politics and their stance on 2nd amendment issues, however I regularly contacted my representatives on a regular basis and voiced my opinion. I usually got a negative response however I figured what the heck, at least I got their attention.
Then I retired to my original home state of Pennsylvania, I continued to contact my representatives, however I usually received positive responses. While their we got the Stand Your Ground laws passed and elected a pro gun governor.
After living in Pennsylvania for about 6 years I moved to Alabama where I currently reside. I still contact my representatives on a regular basis, almost always with a positive response. And I will continue to do so till I am no longer able to work the keyboard.
I agree 100% with Mr M-Taliesan that we should all be out there making our voices heard. It seems as though there is a substantial portion of society that constantly complain about everything but many of these same individuals have no problem making excuses for not trying to be part of the solution.

davidmcbeth

Banned

"Dear Correspondent,

Your Representative,

Shelley Moore Capito

ugh!

Yes, they don't represent YOUR IDEAS, just you .. so he makes it sound like YOU support gun control . I'm in CT, when I travel around & talk to folks they say "Oh, CT, so you support gun control" ... I understand it ... a person from Florida: alligator wrestler person from Maine: lobster fisherman person form CA: overexposed to the sun, causing multiple issues person from TX: loves Chuck Norris person from MA: actually likes to give $$ to the gov't person from IL/Chgo: bang bang Al Capone person from LA: just waiting on the river banks for tourists / or during mardi gras .. bead hoarder/distributor person from OK: oily and has been in at least 3 tornadoes
person from KS: not oily, but also been in 3 tornadoes

wmodavis

Good reminder Mel. I will get off my duff and do what you say. Thanks!
Bill

M-Taliesin

Good reminder Mel. I will get off my duff and do what you say. Thanks!
Bill

Howdy Amigo!
No, no! Don't do what I say... do what I suggest perhaps, but not do as I say.

Do what you can to reach those folks supposed to represent us, and demand they do so!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Bellum_Intus

And again today, I wrote Udall and Bennet re: the Lautenberg-Schumer magazine-ban amendment

IMO, anyone from NY should be banned from introducing legislation until the Bloomberg Big Gulp ban is overturned.. lol (kidding of course)

--Rob

Last edited: