• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Texas - Any Advice?

Super Saiyan

Hello,

I will be visiting Texas in two weeks and will be traveling by car from AZ. I have my AZ CCW permit and am planning to CC the entire time I'm in Texas. Just wondering if anyone could offer some general advice/guidelines for an out-of-stater concerning carry and anything in particular to watch out for concerning the law?

Thanks in advance.

MR Redenck

Your CCW is accepted in Texas. Look for pc.30.06 signs. Texas does not have Ghots buster signs and if they are posted they have no weight. Now a knife ghost buster can be posted...
Unlike Arizona, Texas has 51% signs for alcohol. The 51% is for bars making 51% or more profit from alcohol sales. "Beer bars are not 51%".
Look for pc.30.06 and 51%, those are your signs..HaHa
Stay concealed, .............
Prohibited places such as school, hospitals, church, ect.....,you already know those.
Good luck and enjoy your visit...

mustangkiller

Redneck, please explain why beer bars are not 51%. If it's in the tabc code, that's why I may not be aware of it. But to my knowledge alcohol sales are alcohol sales regardless of the type of alcohol.

Jack House

Beer bars typically also serve food and other beverages. For example, the local bar I visit is not a 51% bar because they also serve food and as such, do not derive 51% of their profits from the sale of alcohol.

American Pride!

My advice is stay out of texas! I'm a truck driver and that is the worst damn place in the country!

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate

Last edited by a moderator:

mustangkiller

Beer bars typically also serve food and other beverages. For example, the local bar I visit is not a 51% bar because they also serve food and as such, do not derive 51% of their profits from the sale of alcohol.

Ok, that I knew. The reason I ask is because we have two beer bars and they only serve beer and mixers if you brought your own bottle of booze. What i call sports bars and what you call beer bars seem to be the same thing.

MR Redenck

Redneck, please explain why beer bars are not 51%. If it's in the tabc code, that's why I may not be aware of it. But to my knowledge alcohol sales are alcohol sales regardless of the type of alcohol.

Beer bars have a completely different license than liquior bars do. The sign you will see posted in Beer bars is the same sign in resturants, and stores. The TABC sign Is basically 46.02 but a felony.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w249/chestonphillips/Pocket.jpg
A resturant bar that sells liguior may or may not be 51%. It is determined by profit liquior sales.

Last edited:

mustangkiller

That's odd cause both beer bars in town have the red 51% sign. Even though the sign is wrong, does it still carry weight?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Prohibited places such as ... hospitals, church, ect.....,you already know those. ...

Interestingly enough, I, too, am driving to Texas next weekend. I will be there for a few weeks. Can you cite this part for me? Do hospitals and churches really have weight of law for no carrying in TX? They do not in NV, and only churches do in UT if they are posted.

Thanks.

MR Redenck

Read this chapter folks, ask all the questions you need
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm
(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;(3) on the premises of a correctional facility;(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;(5) in an amusement park; or(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity.(d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed.
Note that premises is definded as the building..

Last edited:

Jack House

Ok, that I knew. The reason I ask is because we have two beer bars and they only serve beer and mixers if you brought your own bottle of booze. What i call sports bars and what you call beer bars seem to be the same thing.

That's odd cause both beer bars in town have the red 51% sign. Even though the sign is wrong, does it still carry weight?
The only way to know if it is wrong is to know where they get their profits. If the bar infact has a blue license, then the sign has no weight of law. But if you're wrong, and they have a 51% sign because they have a 51% license...

MR Redenck

The only way to know if it is wrong is to know where they get their profits. If the bar infact has a blue license, then the sign has no weight of law. But if you're wrong, and they have a 51% sign because they have a 51% license...

They have to post the license for everyone to see. The whole sign wont be colored red or blue, it will say "sign=red or sign=blue"

Jack House

They have to post the license for everyone to see. The whole sign wont be colored red or blue, it will say "sign=red or sign=blue"
Where is it posted, though? I haven't seen the actual licenses, but then I haven't really looked for the actual licenses either.

flb_78

Hospitals, churches and amusement parks are not off limits to CHL. They haven't been since 1996.

To be off limits, they have to post a proper 30.06 sign.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Interestingly enough, I, too, am driving to Texas next weekend. I will be there for a few weeks. Can you cite this part for me? Do hospitals and churches really have weight of law for no carrying in TX? They do not in NV, and only churches do in UT if they are posted.

Thanks.

Read this chapter folks, ask all the questions you need
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm
(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;(3) on the premises of a correctional facility;(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;(5) in an amusement park; or(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity.(d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed.
Note that premises is definded as the building..

Read and undrstand the link provide by MR Redenck, and pay attention to section (i), which was not part of the quote in his post.

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Those sections are the hospital, amusement park, church and meeting of a government entity sections. As of 2007, those areas must post a 30.06 sign.

MR Redenck

Where is it posted, though? I haven't seen the actual licenses, but then I haven't really looked for the actual licenses either.

They have to post it for public view. Like anything else, sometime people dont do that right either.
Also, the government code never said you have to look for a license, just a sign.