• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washoe County Sheriff's, Open Carrier Detained at Gunpoint Again

DocWalker

I know a couple of cops and they always claim "it alarms the public." I believe that a sizable number of cops, maybe even a majority of cops, hold the same opinion. I have very little respect for these cops. They do not hassle OCers because they "fear" the consequences of hassling a citizen unlawfully. Make no mistake, if they could ban OC today, they would.

Their motivation for not hassling OCers does not mitigate their anti-citizen and anti-liberty opinion.

I agree with you.

People in the public could be "alarmed" about a lot of things. It isn't my job to make sure everyone I might pass is comfortable that is a personal issue. If seeing an LAC going about his day then my recommedation is "DON"T LEAVE THE HOUSE".

1. Big Dogs
2. Red Shirts
3. SUV's
4. Ignorent Cops
5. ect......

Yard Sale

Good lord.

I sent the young man the name and phone number of an attorney who recently successfully sued the Washoe sheriff's dept. for their warrantless seizure of man who was not suspected of a crime.

MKEgal

Tacitus42 said:
it is all about revenue from the ads and traffic.
Their site, their rules I guess. I keep forgetting Forums are a private entity and not a Constitutional Republic
No, it is about staying focussed on one topic.
And yes, their rules apply because it's their property.

DocWalker said:
Shouldn't the website be opencarryapistolonly.org
You're welcome to buy, register, run, maintain, etc. such a site, or one dedicated to carrying rifles as self-defense tools.
But being here means following the house rules, which means that for the most part long gun carry is off-topic.
See rule #14, which includes explanations of why the rule exists.

PALO said:
There was a case in england where a muslim cop was assigned to a detail guarding the israeli (embassy or consulate or something like that) and said his religious beliefs conflicted with that assignment, so they reassigned him. That's WRONG imo
I agree. He should have been reassigned to parking meters.
I'm sure there are SS agents of a different political persuasion than the president they are required to protect, yet they do their job.

OC for ME said:
I know a couple of cops and they always claim "it alarms the public."
Bovine feces.
I have a collection of videos on YouTube of me OCing various places about town, including a bank, grocery, home improvement store, fast food... most people don't notice, and the ones who do are at least unworried. One guy even smiled at me.
I was OC all day today (except when I went into the post office) and got not one comment, nobody screamed & ran, fainted, etc. AFAIK there weren't even any funny looks.

DocWalker

You're welcome to buy, register, run, maintain, etc. such a site, or one dedicated to carrying rifles as self-defense tools.
But being here means following the house rules, which means that for the most part long gun carry is off-topic.
See rule #14, which includes explanations of why the rule exists.

I was being sarcastic.......

One does wonder why the site name is opencarry.org if it doesn't support open carry in all forms?

A couple issues that could result.

1. Only people 21 years and old can use this site if you are in a state that prohiibits 18-21 year olds from buying a pistol. You can only buy a rifle so go away if you are in this catagory!

2. By only supporting one particular form of self defense are we ok with the goverment resticting long carry weapons? I mean if we are against open carry of long guns saying it isn't safe, wise, and is scary; why wouldn't the goverment quote us in disarming Americans from having (i.e. Carrying) long guns?

I'm just playing devils advocate here, I really don't think there is a good answer if we narrow the field to just pistols. Maybe we should narrow it even more to say NO GLAWKS or only 40 Cal's for self defense. Why is the line drawn were it is? Did someone just pick it out of he air and is now married to it and has to defend it by putting people down or suggesting they bugger-off if they question or disagree with the status quo.

FallonJeeper

I was being sarcastic.......

One does wonder why the site name is opencarry.org if it doesn't support open carry in all forms?

A couple issues that could result.

1. Only people 21 years and old can use this site if you are in a state that prohiibits 18-21 year olds from buying a pistol. You can only buy a rifle so go away if you are in this catagory!

2. By only supporting one particular form of self defense are we ok with the goverment resticting long carry weapons? I mean if we are against open carry of long guns saying it isn't safe, wise, and is scary; why wouldn't the goverment quote us in disarming Americans from having (i.e. Carrying) long guns?

I'm just playing devils advocate here, I really don't think there is a good answer if we narrow the field to just pistols. Maybe we should narrow it even more to say NO GLAWKS or only 40 Cal's for self defense. Why is the line drawn were it is? Did someone just pick it out of he air and is now married to it and has to defend it by putting people down or suggesting they bugger-off if they question or disagree with the status quo.

Just because you can't buy a handgun from a dealer until you're 21 doesn't mean you can't do a private sale or receive one as a gift. Open carry should still be legal for the 18 - 21 year olds.

Last edited:

Red Dawg

People on here bash LEO fairly regularly, and for good reason SOMETIMES. PALO, seems to use common sense when dealing with the public UNODIR. Where I come from. you can have a hunting license at a very young age. SO, as I was, by the time I was 16, had my DL, a gun, a dog, and some shells, would go off by myself hunting...I walked I'd say easily 100s of miles open carrying rifles, and shotguns....I was never looked at funny, bothered, or got anything stronger than a wave from ANYONE I encountered. Now, we are so polically driven to be so restricted, and forced to OBEY, that I'd hate to be a kid in today's society. Funny thing is, This life was in MARYLAND... I had guns in my pick up on school grounds. In a gun rack in my back window. Doors weren't locked....it wasn't the 30s it was the 70s/80s...
Oh, and the rules, as per the Mods/owners are kind of modified for places/persons that are not allowed to open carry handguns, so discussion of long guns is, mostly okay...on a case by case basis...

OC for ME

<snip>

Bovine feces.
I have a collection of videos on YouTube of me OCing various places about town, including a bank, grocery, home improvement store, fast food... most people don't notice, and the ones who do are at least unworried. One guy even smiled at me.
I was OC all day today (except when I went into the post office) and got not one comment, nobody screamed & ran, fainted, etc. AFAIK there weren't even any funny looks.
My knowing a few cops, or the cops holding those opinions.

Anyway, they are entitled to their opinion.....as long as they do not act on those opinions in violation of the law.

OC for ME

FreeInAZ

Based on PALO's many, and lengthy, posts he claims to use common sense. His views on not holding cops accountable for their unlawful actions are anti-liberty and anti-citizen. Reference the thread located here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...5-000-for-Police-Pointing-Gun-at-Open-Carrier

Not to pile on PALO but the apple, by its very nature, cannot fall too far from the apple tree. When the majority of PEACE OFFICERS (or as they like LEO's) are anti-citizen & anti- liberty it is to be expected... :( Should the day ever come when some tyrant orders them to harm innocent people, it will be very easy to tell the LEO's from those PEACE officers. :(

Last edited:

DocWalker

Just because you can't buy a handgun from a dealer until you're 21 doesn't mean you can't do a private sale or receive one as a gift. Open carry should still be legal for the 18 - 21 year olds.

I agree with you that not only open carry but the purchace of a pistol should be legal at the age of 18. If your old enough to die for your country and vote you should be able to purchace a pistol.

You are correct but what if the person under 21 doesn't know anyone that has a pistol to sell him say in a small town or nobody gives him a pistol. Maybe the person can't afford to buy a pistol but has a rifle from when he/she was young and would like to carry for self defense. I don't think a person should be forced into long gun carry due to age, social or economic reasons but that is what some people are forced into. We both think it is wrong.

DocWalker

People on here bash LEO fairly regularly, and for good reason SOMETIMES. PALO, seems to use common sense when dealing with the public UNODIR. Where I come from. you can have a hunting license at a very young age. SO, as I was, by the time I was 16, had my DL, a gun, a dog, and some shells, would go off by myself hunting...I walked I'd say easily 100s of miles open carrying rifles, and shotguns....I was never looked at funny, bothered, or got anything stronger than a wave from ANYONE I encountered. Now, we are so polically driven to be so restricted, and forced to OBEY, that I'd hate to be a kid in today's society. Funny thing is, This life was in MARYLAND... I had guns in my pick up on school grounds. In a gun rack in my back window. Doors weren't locked....it wasn't the 30s it was the 70s/80s...
Oh, and the rules, as per the Mods/owners are kind of modified for places/persons that are not allowed to open carry handguns, so discussion of long guns is, mostly okay...on a case by case basis...

+1

It is sad today, I remember those days. I remember the day before deer season was a school holiday in the 1980's, they had to make it a holiday due to nobody was showing up. Even half the girls went hunting and you had to get to camp the day before the seasoned opened...lol

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Palo "lost me" when he claimed that we as people have a moral duty to "submit" to a cop, even if the cop is wrong. I maintain that if I am being seized or subject to force in without probable cause..... The cop becomes a criminal, and I am well within my right to defend myself from criminal activity of any sort. That is not cop bashing, it is criminal bashing.:D