• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Memphis business robbed 2x, owner gets a firearm for third visit!

Kopis

Amazing how often these stories happen yet how they are buried in the news.

http://www.ingeniouspress.com/2013/...-gunpoint-twice-buys-gun-stops-third-robbery/

A business owner in Memphis had her sporting goods store robbed at gunpoint twice in less than three months. But when the would-be robbers came back again, the woman refused to be a victim for the third time.

“I guess after they got money the first time, they thought we were easy target, that they could come get money from us any time,” the woman, who did not wish to be identified, told a local news station.

“Sometimes, you know, you just don’t think, you react. You got the fear, but you also got the anger. Because you’re tired of it and we work so hard for somebody to come and just rob us like that,” she said.
After being robbed twice, the woman bought a .38 and prepared to use it if need be. When three men came into the store Monday night, aimed a gun at her and her sister and demanded money, she fought back this time. Much to their surprise, this go around she pulled out her revolver and fired a shot. She missed, but the would-be robbers ran.

“I was not that kind of person that wanted to have a gun. And I never even thought that I would shoot at somebody, but when you’re in that situation where you say it’s my life or their life, it’s my life,” the store owner explained.

Nobody was hurt, but the suspects were captured by police a few blocks away where they had their getaway car parked.

Reginald Hurd and Cordarius Miles were both arrested, charged with attempted robbery and remain in jail, each on a $50,000 bail. Local media reports that the third suspect was also captured, but no record of his arrest was immediately available.

The store owner said that she didn’t plan to pack up shop and leave. In fact, she expressed that “if we all work together, Memphis can be a better place.”

BrianB

When I read these stories I can't help but wonder if these folks went and bought a gun and figured they'd magically know how to use it to save their life when the time came, or if they actually got some training? I'm glad she armed herself and foiled the robbery but one-vs-three with a 38 revolver and you fire one shot and it's a miss tells me she's probably damn lucky they weren't determined bad guys.

Kopis

Yes, people at work frequently ask me about firearms or carrying. I encourage them to think about the responsiblity first, trying a lot of different weapons and finding what fits and feels comfy to them (not bc their friend said get X brand gun) and if they do choose to carry, to go to the range at least 1x per month and be proficient in drawing, aiming, reloading and shooting accurately.

You shouldnt just get a firearm and carry it as you said. It can easily hurt you, your family or others just as much as it can save you.