• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice on KIMBER 1911

Campo6245

Hello,

I am looking to get myself another 1911 for a late Christmas present :) I have various other 1911s and would like to add Kimber to my next choice. I would be getting the Stainless Gold Match II. Can anyone give me their experience with this model? How is the trigger, crisp, lot of pre-travel, creep etc? All information is greatly appreciated. Thank you..

Kopis

There seems to be a lot of kimber haters out there for some reason. My dad had one when I was a kid and it was amazingly accurate. I bought a 3" CDP II last year and I love it as well. It has extra checkering under the trigger and front of the grip that other 1911s don't have. Impressively accurate especially for such a small pistol. The short feed ramp means it is a little picky on ammo. It doesn't like V shaped bullets like hornady defense rounds.

R.D.

I have a kimber ultra carry 3" has yet to have any issue with feeding. I have been running Hornady self-defense rounds no issues at all been on my hip two years.

FBrinson

Thanks for the information everyone I really appreciate it.

My everyday carry is a Kimber Pro CDP II. I tested the reliability of it by firing over 2000 rounds over the course of 6 months without ever cleaning it or oiling it. I had to know if it was going to work when I needed it to. I've shot just about any type / brand of ammo that you can think of through it including a large mix of handloads. The ONLY issue i've ever had was one stovepipe from a handload using some range pickup blazer brass w/ small primer + 185 gr. cast lead roundnose with a light loading of titegroup powder.
I too, don't understand all the hatred towards Kimbers. I trust my life with one every day.

Last edited:

BLKH2O

My everyday carry is a Kimber Pro CDP II. I tested the reliability of it by firing over 2000 rounds over the course of 6 months without ever cleaning it or oiling it. I had to know if it was going to work when I needed it to. I've shot just about any type / brand of ammo that you can think of through it including a large mix of handloads. The ONLY issue i've ever had was one stovepipe from a handload using some range pickup blazer brass w/ small primer + 185 gr. cast lead roundnose with a light loading of titegroup powder.
I too, don't understand all the hatred towards Kimbers. I trust my life with one every day.

I'm very happy with my two Kimbers. I've owned Colts that I enjoyed, but being a lefty, the Kimbers offered me a gun with ambidextrous safeties. I was told that Wilson made ambidextrous safeties that would fit the Colt, but I wasn't comfortable having them put them on the Colts. Another reason I went with Kimber is I couldn't afford a Nighthawk..... Guns are like trucks, some like Chevy's, some like Fords, but man you sure do see a lot of Dodges on the road.........I drive a Nissan Frontier, lol