• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Action Alert! Bills About to Move.

Old Uncle Ho

If you are a gun owner or plan to be one, it's very important to contact your legislators regarding 8 bills up for reading or beyond.

AZCDLfred has simplified the matter of contacting your representative to a point where there is really no excuse for not doing so. We are fortunate that we have things going pretty much our way here in AZ, but I can assure you that it didn't happen by accident. People like Fred work hard to see that a fire is kept under the bottoms of the legislators. Lets give him some help. You won't believe how easy it is. Put in your name and address and the letter is already written and ready to send. And ... you may win a great prize.

http://cqrcengage.com/azcdl/issues

Tks Fred.
Lynn McFadden aka old uncle ho

Rusty Young Man

If you are a gun owner or plan to be one, it's very important to contact your legislators regarding 8 bills up for reading or beyond.

AZCDLfred has simplified the matter of contacting your representative to a point where there is really no excuse for not doing so. We are fortunate that we have things going pretty much our way here in AZ, but I can assure you that it didn't happen by accident. People like Fred work hard to see that a fire is kept under the bottoms of the legislators. Lets give him some help. You won't believe how easy it is. Put in your name and address and the letter is already written and ready to send. And ... you may win a great prize.

Tks Fred.
Lynn McFadden aka old uncle ho

I received that email alert yesterday; now trying to convince as many of the people I know to write their legislators using AzCDLs Legislative Action Center.
Very streamlined, so I agree, no excuses.;)

FreeInAZ

Thanks for posting uncle Ho. For some reason my gmail has not been getting the alerts as of late? Not in the spam...just not there period? May have to switch to another email provider. :confused:

Edit - sent email for all 8 bills listed in less than 10 minutes! AzCDL Rocks!!! :cool:

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Thanks for posting uncle Ho. For some reason my gmail has not been getting the alerts as of late? Not in the spam...just not there period? May have to switch to another email provider. :confused:

I still use Yahoo, and for some reason the spam filter zaps about a third of AZCDL alerts. So it might not just be a coincidence.:)

But for some reason I keep getting those spam emails about a website for having an affair (not married), saving on car insurance (don't own a car), and prizes I won in contests I never entered.:confused:

OT: is there any page I should go to in order to decipher what the alpha-numerical code next to the bill status means?

azcdlfred

Rusty Young Man - Thanks for cross-posting the Alert, and for the compliments!

And everyone who sent out their letters THANK YOU!

Fred

azcdlfred

But for some reason I keep getting those spam emails about a website for having an affair (not married), saving on car insurance (don't own a car), and prizes I won in contests I never entered
Since my email address is posted on our website the overwhelming majority of my daily emails (on a good day it's "only" about a 100) are spam, phishing attempts, phony billings and court summons.

Fred

Old Uncle Ho

To answer your question Rusty

If you click on the link I sent and then on the bill number on the right side of the page, it will take you to a pre-written letter. Fill in your address etc and add a few words if you want to personalize the letter. At the bottom of your address data is a small box that says "remember me". Check it and you won't have to redo your address each time. But Check the box after each letter.

For those of you that are fighting spam, I've been using Gmail for 3 or 4 years. Not overly thrilled with it, but it does have three sections for mail. Primary, Social and promotions. It really does a pretty good job of sorting. You may consider giving it a shot and see if you like it. You do want to check the Social and Promotions boxes to make sure you aren't missing anything valuable.

Cheers and tks for getting on board with the letter writing.

Lynn McFadden aka Old Uncle Ho

Tucson / Bangkok. Currently Bangkok

Rusty Young Man

I don't quite understand the question. Are you talking about our bill tracking page, or somewhere else?

Fred

Say I go to the AzCDL Bill Tracking page and click on the status of Townsend's HB2103.
I am directed to another page that has something like
"03/17/2014 JUD (5-3-1-0) DP
04/02/2014 RULES PFC"

Or Murphy's SB1063, which has the status "JUD (4-2-0-2-0) DP - 03/20/2014" on the Bill Tracking page.
:confused:

I'd like to know what those things mean so I'm not just anxiously awaiting for the next alert.:)

azcdlfred

Say I go to the AzCDL Bill Tracking page and click on the status of Townsend's HB2103.
I am directed to another page that has something like
"03/17/2014 JUD (5-3-1-0) DP
04/02/2014 RULES PFC"

Or Murphy's SB1063, which has the status "JUD (4-2-0-2-0) DP - 03/20/2014" on the Bill Tracking page.
:confused:

I'd like to know what those things mean so I'm not just anxiously awaiting for the next alert.:)
Ahhhhhhh....

That gibberish shows the most recent action on the bill.

For HB 2103, 3/17/2014 JUD (5-3-1-0) DP means on March 17, 2014, the Judiciary Committee (in this case the Senate Jud. Committee) passed the bill out of committee by a 5-3 vote with 1 committee member not voting and no one absent) with a Do Pass (DP) recommendation.

For SB 1063, it translates to the bill passing out of the House Judiciary Committee on March 20 by a 4-2 vote with a Do Pass recommendation.

All the bills that we're asking you to send letters on have made it about 3/4 of the way through the legislative gauntlet. If they can pass a Committee of the Whole (COW) hearing and Third Read (a floor vote) unscathed, they go to the governor.

I can't stress enough how important it is for gun owners to send in their letters. We (AzCDL) have laid the groundwork and got many of these bills introduced. We've testified at hearings and worked behind the scenes to make sure the committee votes are there. At this point it all depends on the pressure legislators get from their constituents.

If you choose not to get involved, you might as well start sending your checks to the anti-gun groups because that is what your silence is saying.

Fred

Rusty Young Man

I still use Yahoo, and for some reason the spam filter zaps about a third of AZCDL alerts. So it might not just be a coincidence.:)

But for some reason I keep getting those spam emails about a website for having an affair (not married), saving on car insurance (don't own a car), and prizes I won in contests I never entered.:confused:

OT: is there any page I should go to in order to decipher what the alpha-numerical code next to the bill status means?

Since my email address is posted on our website the overwhelming majority of my daily emails (on a good day it's "only" about a 100) are spam, phishing attempts, phony billings and court summons.

Fred

I was referring to the spam emails I get from Saudi princes looking for a wife (I'm not a female, as far as I can tell:lol:), or from car insurance companies I've never heard of, etc.
So far the only problem I have with AzCDL emails is that some of them go straight to my spam folder; Yahoo must be part of some conspiracy to keep Freedom-loving individuals in the dark.:uhoh:
Thanks for explaining the alpha-numerical codes.

@Old Uncle Ho: I use Gmail through the University of Arizona (our "Catmail" :rolleyes: accounts) and find it quite manageable. Unfortunately, I highly disapprove of their privacy policy and all. Yahoo is not much better, but...

Thank YOU for posting this, even though you seem to be posting from an entirely different day than we are.:confused: Anything interesting happening tomorrow that we should know about?:lol: Have fun.

Unfortunately, college students tend to be quite fickle/unmotivated. I try to stress the importance of this, but something tells me that if I managed to convince 2 people to visit the AzCDL page to write to their representatives, I did VERY well. Most likely my words fell on deaf ears.:(

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Today I was able to corner one of the people I spoke to yesterday. They had their laptop with them, so when they told me they hadn't used AzCDL's Legislative Action Center because "it's really important, but boring, so I probably should" (me::banghead:), I got them to do so. Hooray for peer-pressure!:lol:

In all seriousness though, he wasn't doing much other than tabling on campus for another organization (not too many takers), and he is somewhat politically active (mostly on other, non-firearm issues). So one more person to FORMALLY urge their representatives to support those bills.:)

azcdlfred

In all seriousness though, he wasn't doing much other than tabling on campus for another organization (not too many takers), and he is somewhat politically active (mostly on other, non-firearm issues). So one more person to FORMALLY urge their representatives to support those bills.:)
Awesome! Thanks!

That "but boring" statement is distressing :(

We are talking about 20-something "adults" right?

Fred

Rusty Young Man

Awesome! Thanks!

That "but boring" statement is distressing :(

We are talking about 20-something "adults" right?

Fred

Correct on the age group. He's 21, only slightly older (maybe younger; I forget) than I am. Not the best example of politically-active college students is it?:(

Also, sending PM.

Rusty Young Man

Make some coffee and get to typin and clickin'!

Thanks to the collective efforts of Freedom-loving Arizonan individuals and Freedom-loving organizations such as the AzCDL, the following five bills survived the crapshoot that is the legislative process and are now awaiting Governor Brewer's signature.

Please make yourself comfortable in front of your computer and start typing and clicking to make your voice be heard and show the governor that we AZ citizens demand to have our voices heard and our pre-existing Rights protected by passage of these bills:

HB 2103
Summary: AzCDL-requested bill. Lowers age limit for CCW permit eligibility to 19 for those with military service.

HB 2338
Summary: An AzCDL-requested bill. Adds to the defintion of Aggravated Assault the taking, or attempted taking, of a legally possessed firearm (other than by law enforcement in the performance of official duties).

HB 2339
Summary: An AzCDL-requested bill. A Public (state and local government) establishment or event cannot ban CCW permit holders from carrying unless methods (metal detectors, security personnel, etc.) are used to determine if anyone entering is armed.

HB 2483
Summary: Strengthens the protection of the lawful use of firearms, airguns and archery equipment on private property.

HB 2517
Summary: Would add penalties for political subdivisions (counties, cities, etc.) that enact ordinances, regulations, etc. that violate state firearms preemption law. Also allows for civil actions by those adversely affected by these illegal ordinances.

Rusty Young Man

HB 2483 was signed by the governor (Summary: Strengthens the protection of the lawful use of firearms, airguns and archery equipment on private property).

The other four still awaiting her signature, and the other bills appear to be in limbo, since they are no longer under the "Hot Issues" tab and have no status updates since the 20th of March.

These include:

SB 1063
Summary: If an operator of a public facility that bans weapons chooses to ignore the statutory weapons storage requirements in ARS 13-3102.01, an otherwise law-abiding citizen entering with a weapon would not be violating the law.

SB 1366
Summary: SB 1366 seeks to clarify the definition of a firearm and its application to the unlawful discharge statutes in the Arizona Revised Statutes.
This is the "expanding gas" vs "explosive" definition of firearms bill.

HB 2535 has some gibberish next to its status as of the 15th of April, though I'm unsure of the meaning:confused::
"Status: COW ACTION 1 RETAINED 0 0 0 0 - 04/15/2014"

Seems like it's dead?:confused:

Summary: HB 2535 would facilitate transfers of NFA (National Firearms Act) registered firearms by requiring local law enforcement to sign the required certification on legitimate transfers within 15 days after receiving a request to do so.

azcdlfred

the other bills appear to be in limbo, since they are no longer under the "Hot Issues" tab and have no status updates since the 20th of March.
I temporarily pulled the letters on SB 1063 and 1366 since (1) they are stuck in the House and (2) we want the focus to be on the bills that were sent to the governor for now.

I will be ginning up a weekly alert by this weekend. The House Rules committee won't release SB 1063 (more on that in the alert) and SB 1366 may not get a chance to for a COW hearing.

Re: HB 2535. Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth from the law enforcement chiefs on that one. We're expecting further amendments, but time is running out. The legislature will probably adjourn next week.

If you are reading this and have NOT sent your letters to the Governor, what's stopping you?

Fred

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Done!

Done!

A note = on HB 2517: funny how those who want others to obey the law get so upset about having to do so themselves! :banghead:

The Trickster

Done!

A note = on HB 2517: funny how those who want others to obey the law get so upset about having to do so themselves! :banghead:

Rules for thee but not for me.

Do as I say, not as I do.

Government always exempts itself from the same rules it expects everyone else to follow.