• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Handgun - Glock 17

Zach C. Nelson

Howdy folks, I've recently turned 18 and being interested in firearms since I was young, I'm considering the idea of purchasing my first handgun primarily to learn about firearm safety, how to shoot etc. and for personal defense. I want to start learning at such a young age so when I'm older I can be an inspiration to my kids that we live in a country who's citizens have rights to own firearms etc.

FYI: I'm aware I need to be 21 to buy from a dealer, I have that "issue" so to speak covered though.

Anyway, I'm strongly considering the Glock 17, a 9mm full size firearm. I intend to purchase the .22lr conversion kit to make my frequent sessions to the firing range more cost efficient. However in open carrying and concealed storage in my house or car, I plan to use the standard 9mm setup.

Having never been extensively around guns before, I have hundreds of questions. I think I understand the laws both federal and state (colorado). However..

What's recommended for first time buyer/user? (ie. one-on-one with an NRA member/instructor? beginner's class?)
What sort of "gear" will I need?
Is it as hard as it looks to clean firearms?
Any written guides to etiquette on the range, and in the gun store?
Any other general information?

jlb27537

Zach,

Since your 18 and I am 70 I'll give you some thoughts from a old person. I am not from Colorado but I understand OC is legal there in some places. Please correct me if I am wrong, but to open carry you have to be able to own a gun legally. I think you have to be 21 as you mention.

So getting a gun while under age, and then open carrying, how wrong can that be?

Now, about the G17. I love mine, works as advertized. Reliable with any ammo, has never failed to fire.

The rest of your questions can be answered by your local gun store.

Jim
Texas CCL

kcgunfan

Classes are definitely recommended, one on one or classroom would depend on your learning style as well as what you can afford.

At a minimum, you will want a holster, eye protection, ear protection, and cleaning supplies. For a Glock, you can use the provided brush, and some cleaner like Breakfree CLE or Hoppes.

Glocks field strip into 4 pieces, all of them are easy to clean. My 6 yo can reassemble it. Other handguns can be harder.

Under federal law, you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL. You have to be 18 to purchase it in a private sale. There are no federal laws specifying a minimum age to carry, so there is no concern there. I can't speak to CO's statutes.

I'm sure that there are written guides to etiquette, you can probably google that. But at the range the RSO (Range Safety Officer) will be happy to go over them with you. You should talk to the RSO anytime you visit a new range, just so you know the rules (unless they're posted.

Learn the 4 rules of firearm safety well, as well as how to apply them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper#Firearms_safety

Howdy folks, I've recently turned 18 and being interested in firearms since I was young, I'm considering the idea of purchasing my first handgun primarily to learn about firearm safety, how to shoot etc. and for personal defense. I want to start learning at such a young age so when I'm older I can be an inspiration to my kids that we live in a country who's citizens have rights to own firearms etc.

FYI: I'm aware I need to be 21 to buy from a dealer, I have that "issue" so to speak covered though.

Anyway, I'm strongly considering the Glock 17, a 9mm full size firearm. I intend to purchase the .22lr conversion kit to make my frequent sessions to the firing range more cost efficient. However in open carrying and concealed storage in my house or car, I plan to use the standard 9mm setup.

Having never been extensively around guns before, I have hundreds of questions. I think I understand the laws both federal and state (colorado). However..

What's recommended for first time buyer/user? (ie. one-on-one with an NRA member/instructor? beginner's class?)

j4l

Cant comment on the age issue, check with local Law on that one.

As for the Glock- great pistol for beginners, or pros, depending on how well it handles for you, personally. (Some folks find the grip-frames a bit bulky/wide to hold onto well when firing). Easy enough to take apart for cleaning (except for those take-down bits being a wee bit awkward for some). Handle one 1st, if you havent already, and if a range will let you rent one to try one out, go for it. Make sure it's something that feels right in the hand, during firing, though.
As for the caliber choice... I cannot, in good conscience, recommend 9mm or .40 for it if you intend to possibly use it as a defensive arm, except as a "last-ditch"/ "only thing on-hand" effort.
Without re-igniting a caliber debate, there are other, better-suited combat rounds available in Glocks- (.357 Sig, .45 acp, 10mm). Yes, they cost a couple $$ more ammo-wise, but the price is worth the difference if the time ever comes in which you actually have to make use of it.
($15 for 15 rounds of "WTF!,why isnt this guy STOPPING" vs. $20 for 2 rounds of "whew, glad I made it through that..." can make all the difference.)

Zach C. Nelson

I couldn't find a way to multiquote on the forum, so replying to each one individually. :)

Zach,

Since your 18 and I am 70 I'll give you some thoughts from a old person. I am not from Colorado but I understand OC is legal there in some places. Please correct me if I am wrong, but to open carry you have to be able to own a gun legally. I think you have to be 21 as you mention.

So getting a gun while under age, and then open carrying, how wrong can that be?

Now, about the G17. I love mine, works as advertized. Reliable with any ammo, has never failed to fire.

The rest of your questions can be answered by your local gun store.

Jim
Texas CCL

In Colorado, I can legally buy under 21 from a 3rd-party, which satisfies the "owning a gun legally to OC" requirement. Apart from Denver, I'm really glad I live in Colorado, the firearm laws here are very reasonable.

Zach C. Nelson

Classes are definitely recommended, one on one or classroom would depend on your learning style as well as what you can afford.

At a minimum, you will want a holster, eye protection, ear protection, and cleaning supplies. For a Glock, you can use the provided brush, and some cleaner like Breakfree CLE or Hoppes.

Glocks field strip into 4 pieces, all of them are easy to clean. My 6 yo can reassemble it. Other handguns can be harder.

Under federal law, you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL. You have to be 18 to purchase it in a private sale. There are no federal laws specifying a minimum age to carry, so there is no concern there. I can't speak to CO's statutes.

I'm sure that there are written guides to etiquette, you can probably google that. But at the range the RSO (Range Safety Officer) will be happy to go over them with you. You should talk to the RSO anytime you visit a new range, just so you know the rules (unless they're posted.

Learn the 4 rules of firearm safety well, as well as how to apply them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper#Firearms_safety

Thanks for replying! I'm excited to hear the Glock is easy to clean. Being my first firearm, I pretty much want to become an expert at it and extend it's life as long as possible.

Thanks for the links.

Zach C. Nelson

Cant comment on the age issue, check with local Law on that one.

As for the Glock- great pistol for beginners, or pros, depending on how well it handles for you, personally. (Some folks find the grip-frames a bit bulky/wide to hold onto well when firing). Easy enough to take apart for cleaning (except for those take-down bits being a wee bit awkward for some). Handle one 1st, if you havent already, and if a range will let you rent one to try one out, go for it. Make sure it's something that feels right in the hand, during firing, though.
As for the caliber choice... I cannot, in good conscience, recommend 9mm or .40 for it if you intend to possibly use it as a defensive arm, except as a "last-ditch"/ "only thing on-hand" effort.
Without re-igniting a caliber debate, there are other, better-suited combat rounds available in Glocks- (.357 Sig, .45 acp, 10mm). Yes, they cost a couple $$ more ammo-wise, but the price is worth the difference if the time ever comes in which you actually have to make use of it.
($15 for 15 rounds of "WTF!,why isnt this guy STOPPING" vs. $20 for 2 rounds of "whew, glad I made it through that..." can make all the difference.)

Thanks for your reply. Although cost is important it's not so much an issue for me at the moment, however I am concerned about the physical difficulty of firing higher caliber. I'm certain I can handle .22lr and 9mm rounds, however I am 6 foot 3 and weigh just 140lbs. I'm able to lift ~50 lbs around my workplace, but I'm not a very strong person. How much strength does it take to fire those larger .45 ACP, etc calibers?

N605TW

Activist Member
Go to a range that rents guns or find a few friends that will let you shoot theirs. Try as many guns and calibers as you can to find what works for you. I'm in the same height and weight class as you and carry a Gen4 Glock 17.

I don't buy into the "don't trust any caliber that doesn't start with 4" mentality. I have yet to find anyone willing to go down range and catch my "girly 9s" Shot placement is far more important, a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .50

Zach C. Nelson

Go to a range that rents guns or find a few friends that will let you shoot theirs. Try as many guns and calibers as you can to find what works for you. I'm in the same height and weight class as you and carry a Gen4 Glock 17.

I don't buy into the "don't trust any caliber that doesn't start with 4" mentality. I have yet to find anyone willing to go down range and catch my "girly 9s" Shot placement is far more important, a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .50

That's very reassuring to hear, thanks!

j4l

Thanks for your reply. Although cost is important it's not so much an issue for me at the moment, however I am concerned about the physical difficulty of firing higher caliber. I'm certain I can handle .22lr and 9mm rounds, however I am 6 foot 3 and weigh just 140lbs. I'm able to lift ~50 lbs around my workplace, but I'm not a very strong person. How much strength does it take to fire those larger .45 ACP, etc calibers?

Well, here's the irony, and yet another myth de-bunked.
For .45s via a Glock (or similar design-Springfield XD, Taurus 24/7, 800 ,etc.) there's less actual felt recoil than 9mm or .40. A lot of folks have this false impression that because the round is "bigger" it's going to recoil a lot worse. .45 is a lower-pressure round than either 9mm or .40 - actually closer to .380/9mm Mak etc.

What "recoil" there is, is actually more of a gentle shove back into the meat of the hand, vs. the "flip" of the muzzle with the 9mm/.40
Me, personally, I cant hit worth a hoot with either of those, when rapid-fire or double-tapping. .45 though? a breeze.
In 1911 types (steel -framed, not alum -framed) the weight of the pistol itself tames a lot of the "recoil".

10mm, I felt, was a little more kick than .45. Havent fired much .357 Sig, so will leave that one to those who use it.

Do yourself a favor, and try one of each out, if you can. You will likely be very surprised.

Last edited:

tcmech

Good choice, I have a glock 17 that has never failed to work for me in the 20 or so years that I have owned it. Get a blackhawk serpa holster for it, if you like leather instead there are several makers that offer good holsters for it, I like don hume and backwoods leather prodocts personally.

Follow the range rules and the generally accepted rules of gun handling and you will be alright.

Yard Sale

Pros: Reliable, Accurate, Simple, Light

Cons: No external safety, Sights unsuited for targets, Sights unsuited for defense, Trigger unsuited for targets

You can take the NRA basic handgun safety course and hopefully develop good habits. Sticking your finger in the trigger guard is a bad habit for a Glock, which doesn't have an external safety.

MKEgal

Zach said:
What's recommended for first time buyer/user?
(ie. one-on-one with an NRA member/instructor? beginner's class?)
If you have someone knowledgable (relative?) who can teach you the basics, that's a reasonable way to start.
Would have been nice to start learning when you were maybe 5 or 6, but at least you're here now. :D

It'd be good anyway to take a structured class, of whatever flavor, as long as it's backed by a reputable organization. (Check credentials & reputation.)
I lean toward NRA 'cause AFAIK they've been around the longest & I'm certified by them.
(That's a link to the class search page. You probably want to start with a Basic Pistol course. Put your zip in at the bottom of the page, & a search radius.)

For carrying, a holster with some sort of retention. Can be a strap you unsnap w/ your thumb, or a button to push, or several things you have to do at once. (Will you remember the combination in an emergency?)

Cleaning supplies. Get a small kit @ the store; it should have solvent, oil, fabric patches, a wire brush, something that looks like the eye of a needle, & a rod. Might have more. The brush has to be the right size for your barrel.

A case, preferably locking. (Must be hard-sided & locking for air & rail travel, & only you have the key or combination.)
A safe for your home.
Consider a safe for your car, one that cable-locks (or is bolted) to the car.
Eye & ear protection for practicing.

For a Glock, no. It's simple to take them apart & put them back together. Just read the owner's manual to see where to occasionally put a small drop of oil.
:arrow: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS triple-check that your Glock is completely unloaded before starting to clean it! :exclaim:
The one feature I dislike about them is that you have to pull the trigger to take it apart.

While it's written for & by women, there's a lot of useful beginner info on www.corneredcat.com
Safety, care & feeding, shooting basics, all sorts of questions commonly asked by people new to shooting (hi there!)... :D
Gun cleaning & the 4 rules
Gun cleaning 101
Gun cleaning 102: cleaning a Glock
That last has very detailed instructions & good pictures.
Hint: it's much easier to clean just after using, once it's cool enough to handle.

kcgunfan said:
Under federal law, you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL. You have to be 18 to purchase it in a private sale.
... at the range the RSO (Range Safety Officer) will be happy to go over [rules] with you.
... Learn the 4 rules of firearm safety well, as well as how to apply them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper#Firearms_safety
What he said. Check out www.handgunlaw.us & click on your state (or whatever state you plan to visit) to learn about the laws there. Their PDFs include links to state sites & resources, so you can read the original for yourself. Very important.

Zach said:
I couldn't find a way to multiquote on the forum, so replying to each one individually.
Look in the lower right of each post. See the little + sign? Click on that. See how it turns to a checkmark? That means that when you eventually click "reply to thread" that post will be quoted.
It's also nice to delete parts of posts that aren't relevant to your reply. Saves space & reading.

Zach said:
I am concerned about the physical difficulty of firing higher caliber.
...I'm not a very strong person. How much strength does it take to fire those larger .45 ACP, etc calibers?
The trigger pull is the same no matter the caliber. (Though you can get lighter or heavier than normal triggers.)
For recoil on the larger calibers, lean into it a bit more. Pay attention to the basics of stance & grip & it shouldn't be a problem. [See above about taking a class from a reputable source.]
A full-size pistol, such as the G17, will have less recoil than the "baby Glocks" (G26 for the 9mm).

Yard Sale said:
Cons: No external safety, Sights unsuited for targets, Sights unsuited for defense, Trigger unsuited for targets
:banghead: :cuss:
Glocks do have an external safety. It's built into the trigger.
If your finger isn't on the trigger, all 3 safeties are on.
If your finger squeezes the trigger squarely, the trigger safety is taken off, which allows the 2 internal safeties to come off, which allows the gun to go bang.
Here's a neat little thing - an interactive illustrated Glock (that's what it says on the page).

As for the rest, I'm able to target shoot just fine with all of mine, & for SD you won't have time to use sights.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Well, here's the irony, and yet another myth de-bunked.
For .45s via a Glock (or similar design-Springfield XD, Taurus 24/7, 800 ,etc.) there's less actual felt recoil than 9mm or .40. A lot of folks have this false impression that because the round is "bigger" it's going to recoil a lot worse. .45 is a lower-pressure round than either 9mm or .40 - actually closer to .380/9mm Mak etc.

What "recoil" there is, is actually more of a gentle shove back into the meat of the hand, vs. the "flip" of the muzzle with the 9mm/.40
Me, personally, I cant hit worth a hoot with either of those, when rapid-fire or double-tapping. .45 though? a breeze.
In 1911 types (steel -framed, not alum -framed) the weight of the pistol itself tames a lot of the "recoil".

10mm, I felt, was a little more kick than .45. Havent fired much .357 Sig, so will leave that one to those who use it.

Do yourself a favor, and try one of each out, if you can. You will likely be very surprised.

Yes I prefer the recoil of .45acp over 9mm and 40s&w. Alot depends on the gun you are shooting it out of. My NAA .32acp hurts my hand after a few rounds. My Kahr MK40 is better but isn't fun to shoot for extended times. I can shoot my .45acp guns all day long. :)

.357 Sig has about the same recoil as a .40 S&W since it is basically a .40 cased down to a 9mm bullet. I was a bit disappointed when I got a .357 barrel for a P226 I have in .40s&w when no large fireball came out when I fired it. :)

There are many good things about Glock and many people have them. I prefer other makes but get what you want or you won't be happy. If you can try out guns that friends have or rent them to see which you like best. Guns are alot like shoes, you don't know how much you like them until you try them on. :)

j4l

Yes I prefer the recoil of .45acp over 9mm and 40s&w. Alot depends on the gun you are shooting it out of. My NAA .32acp hurts my hand after a few rounds. My Kahr MK40 is better but isn't fun to shoot for extended times. I can shoot my .45acp guns all day long. :)

.357 Sig has about the same recoil as a .40 S&W since it is basically a .40 cased down to a 9mm bullet. I was a bit disappointed when I got a .357 barrel for a P226 I have in .40s&w when no large fireball came out when I fired it. :)

There are many good things about Glock and many people have them. I prefer other makes but get what you want or you won't be happy. If you can try out guns that friends have or rent them to see which you like best. Guns are alot like shoes, you don't know how much you like them until you try them on. :)

Exactly.
And I like Glocks- think they're perhaps THE best fighting handgun innovation since the 1911A1. But few of them fit my hands well for a secure grasp (short, stubby, thug fingers) during firing that I'd feel safe, or accurate doing so as a carry gun.
And, I prefer hammers and thumb-safety's (sorry, just to darned set in my ways, having grown up on 1911's) -even more so with with DA/SA and de-cockers, of late.
But great pistols, you'll never hear me knocking em.

Yard Sale

Glocks do have an external safety. It's built into the trigger.
Spare us the pedantry. The fact is there is nothing to prevent the trigger from firing the gun. Zach said he was a noob, so he's likely to not have developed finger-outside-the-guard habits, and he's more likely to do something noobish like get his shirt caught on the trigger while holstering. Even reaching for a Glock on the nightstand in the dark is more perilous than reaching for a thumb-safety pistol (or a long DA pistol).

Zach, I'm not discouraging you, I'm cautioning you.

zoom6zoom

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend 9mm or .40 for it if you intend to possibly use it as a defensive arm, except as a "last-ditch"/ "only thing on-hand" effort.
Off the top of my head, I can only think of a handful of law enforcement agencies that don't use either 9 or 40.

Levi

Police choose a gun based on how easy it is to carry, qualify with, and clean. Combat military units, on the other hand, choose a sidearm based on dependability and effectiveness. Military units that have the option to choose their sidearm overwhelmingly choose the 1911 .45APC. After all, the average policeman will draw his weapon far fewer times than a Navy SEAL will use his.

j4l

Off the top of my head, I can only think of a handful of law enforcement agencies that don't use either 9 or 40.

Which is yet another reason NOT to. The 9 has systematically failed them, more often than not, on the street. Hence the switch-by all but about 2 dept.s , as of now, to .40. Which itself turned about to almost as dismal a failure as the 9.
If given their choice-(as opposed to what a dept. mandates) most would prefer to be carrying a .357 sig or .45
There's also a reason the Military wants very much to go back to .45 the next time they replace their pistols. Most SF/ SOCCOM units already have, as have many Marine units.

mpguy

45 recoil is nothing. I have a M&P Smith n Wesson .45, and I love it. Adjustable grips, night sights, thumb safety, and a mag safety. I will say this, if you do go .45, it's best if you can buy online. If you shop around, you can find prices rather close to 9mm prices.

I totally agree on the caliber thing. I know I wouldn't want to be shot buy any caliber, so personally see nothing wrong with the 9mm caliber.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2