• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do all malls have a "No Weapons" policy?

Aaron1124

I know it's documented on here that the Supermall in Auburn has a "No Weapons" policy, but how about the Seatac (Commons) Mall or Southcenter (Westfield) Mall? I have not seen them on the list, unless I over read it.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I know it's documented on here that the Supermall in Auburn has a "No Weapons" policy, but how about the Seatac (Commons) Mall or Southcenter (Westfield) Mall? I have not seen them on the list, unless I over read it.

Not sure on those but the Mall in Silverdale has the "No weapons" rule. it includes any knife with a blade over 2" or anything that could be used as a weapon. I want to ask them if my Boots, Wallet Chain, Belt, Jewelry or Phone count as weapons since they could all be used as such. =\

j2l3

Southcenter and Northgate prohibit weapons. I think DEROS72 has been to SeaTac Mall numerous times without issue. I think it's called "The Commons" now, isn't it?

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Cascade Mall in Burlington, Kitsap Mall in Silverdale, and Redmond Town Center in Redmond are all owned by Macerich Corp and are unarmed victim zones. Cascade Mall Security Officer told me concealed is concealed.

I remember reading at one time that Crossroads Mall in Bellevue allowed carry - other than the half-price books that has a tiny notice that you can barely see low down next to the exterior entrance.

Haven't been there since I started carrying, so I haven't tested it.

kenshin

I open carry in any mall that I go to and I almost never see a sign at any of the entrances. Most of the time I'm ignored just like it should be. I've only once been booted from a mall and that was the Kitsap Mall.

You can read the thread Here.

Granted, I don't go to very many malls but if I ever do get another boot then I'll simply send them a letter stating why I won't be patronizing their establishment anymore, then walk away and never look back. They need our (collective) money, we don't need their products, we can get what we need from any of the fine businesses that support our rights.

Jayd1981

I have open carried at the mall in olympia before and didn't have an issue. I did not know they did not allow legally carried weapons when I did it though. My rule of thumb if I don't know thier policy is I look at the door and area when I enter. If I see a sign addressing firearms, then I will abide by their wishes, otherwise I conduct my business as usual.

bikemutt

Fortunately, none of those malls have metal detectors. I almost always carry in malls, concealed.

As far as I know the only place I can't conceal carry in WA is an establishment that serves liquor and then, only in an area where minors may not be (I'm ignoring places like courthouses, Federal buildings and the like). Many bars have signs that explicitly state no weapons, even if with a CPL.

So lets say a person legally carrying concealed in a mall, in WA, that has a no weapons policy, gets outed, for whatever reason, what are the consequences?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
As far as I know the only place I can't conceal carry in WA is an establishment that serves liquor and then, only in an area where minors may not be (I'm ignoring places like courthouses, Federal buildings and the like). Many bars have signs that explicitly state no weapons, even if with a CPL.

So lets say a person legally carrying concealed in a mall, in WA, that has a no weapons policy, gets outed, for whatever reason, what are the consequences?

You will be asked to leave the property. If you refuse you will be trespassed and perhaps arrested for trespassing.

MKEgal

Unless it's posted just as obviously as no smoking signs, or I've been told personally by someone representing the management of the mall that I can't carry there, I'll carry.

There's a mall near me that has some wishy-washy waffle policy something like "you can't do anything that could reasonably be expected to cause a commotion". I'll have a video camera on, to show just how non-commotion-causing OC really is. Also have some friends with their own videos of OC in different environments, again showing how non-commotion-causing OC is. If there's a problem, we can show the judge (or media, which is actually better) that I/we weren't causing trouble.

amzbrady

I just wonder? Is a holstered firearm a weapon? I would think it only becomes a weapon if you unholster it and use it as such. Until then wouldnt it just an inanimate object.

joeroket

I just wonder? Is a holstered firearm a weapon? I would think it only becomes a weapon if you unholster it and use it as such. Until then wouldnt it just an inanimate object.
Of course not. A weapon is defined as an instrument of offensive or defensive combat. Nothing is a weapon until used in an offensive or defensive manner.

kenshin

Usually on a wall off to the side just inside the main entrances will be a Rules of Conduct sign with tiny print. Somewhere, buried in the text, is guaranteed to be a no weapons statement. I just carry concealed in malls and go about my business.

Sometimes, sometimes not, but I just like to go about my business as well. And that doesn't include micro-scanning the walls to check for a no firearms policy. If they cared enough about their policy they would post it in a more obvious place (ie. the door).

Sparky508

Rofl. One of these days, I'm going to make a holster out of duct tape and stick it to my forehead, I could use it as an empty holster protest while at the courthouse. Or would that be taking the joke to far? :shocker:

I suspect you'll get that answer when you attemtp to remove it....................