• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New In Salt Lake City

Beretta92FSLady

I lived here many years ago. I am likely moving here, from Seattle. I am presently here. Are there OC events here?

I also had a couple of questions:

1) Can I carry into banks? I read(e) something that seemed to state you can legally carry on school grounds here, and in bars...I am not a drinker, but I am a college student.

2) Do you have to alert the LEO that you are armed?

Thanks

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
I lived here many years ago. I am likely moving here, from Seattle. I am presently here. Are there OC events here?

I also had a couple of questions:

1) Can I carry into banks? I read(e) something that seemed to state you can legally carry on school grounds here, and in bars...I am not a drinker, but I am a college student.

2) Do you have to alert the LEO that you are armed?

Thanks

Question 1:

Absolutely, and if the bank complains move your accounts to a different bank and let them know WHY your doing it. No Utah or Federal law prohibiting carry in a bank in UTAH.

Question 2: IT USED to be required but is not required now for the last couple of years. If I read the legislature correctly, IT AIN'T LIKELY TO BE RE INSTITUTED!

In the Utah subforum you will see invites for monthly "ladies shoots" and periodic meet and greet type gatherings.
Also, if you go to www.utahconcealedcarry.com you will find a active group of folks and specific forums for "Ladies shoots" and the meet and greets. Many on this forum are also on this other one. We are not competitors!

IF you have a Utah Concealed Carry permit you can carry in ANY manner in a PUBLIC school or college/University (some colleges / universities may disagree and give you grief BUT as a group WE THINK THEY ARE WRONG ON THE INTERPRETATION.... seem to NOT threaten firearms charges but college or university disturbing the peace or interference of a school stuff.... I my opinion this lets us know how weak their claim that a weapon MUST BE CONCEALED while in or on the University property claim is. Beware of the ROVING UTAH SCHOOL ZONES---- any area where you may otherwise legally carry can become a prohibited area (Unless you have a Utah Concealed Carry permit) like school field trips to the State Capitol, or National parks, Monuments.

Federal law REQUIRES that the concealed carry permit MUST be issued by the State in which the school is located (limited to K-12 ONLY). Utah law prohibits PUBLIC College/university and k-12 carry UNLESS you have ANY permit as UTAH recognizes ANY OTHER STATES PERMIT, PERIOD. Private schools/colleges may set their OWN rules but it is ONLY a trespassing charge (NOT A WEAPONS TYPE CHARGE) IF YOU REFUSE TO LEAVE AFTER THEY ASK YOU TO DO SO. Please recognize that I am NOT minimizing the trespassing charge.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
Things have been well covered by others.

Just two quick things of note.

1-If you do not have a permit, your firearm must not be "loaded" (as defined in statute, no round in chamber for semi-auto, but fully charged magazine ok). Also, you need to avoid both the fixed and roving school zones which is all but practically impossible in urban/suburban areas right now. (I hope to see this fixed.)

2-While there is no duty to inform, I believe your permit status will come up on a standard Utah Driver License run. So probably not a bad idea to inform if you are carrying and get a traffic stop. However, if you are having interactions where they do not ask for your ID, less of a concern perhaps.

And two more things since you were last here.

You no longer need a permit to carry concealed in your own car (including in school zones). So glove box carry or other concealed possession within your car is ok. A handgun can even be fully loaded. Long guns in cars need to be unloaded unless you have a permit.

Also, we now have parking lot preemption. With rare exception, an employer may not maintain nor enforce any employment policy that prevents you from having a gun in your car that is parked in the employer's parking lot. The gun needs to be out of sight, and the car needs to be locked when you are not in it.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. It is just my be, amateur understanding of Utah law.

Welcome back. Please sign up for free email alerts of how to protect and advance our RKBA here in Utah by PMing me or visiting http://www.goutahorg.org . The Utah Shooting Sports Council and Women Against Gun Control also do good work for RKBA here in Utah.

Charles Hardy
Public Policy Director
GOUtah!

AlphaEnder

Okay, so I had a friend who lived in Cali. for 7 years. He's been here for about 11 I think.

He absolutely loves it here. More things to do outdoors, cheaper to live at, skiing, hiking, biking, shooting, anything you want. Night life?...eh, not so much, but we do have a few places.

In short, yes, Utah is the best. Love it here, and I don't think I'll ever live someplace else.