• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Word on SB 93 as of 6/11/11

paul@paul-fisher.com

OK, I was at the Walworth County Dairy Breakfast this morning and just missed talking to the Governor by 15 minutes.

I did talk to Representative Nass and August as well as Senator Kedzie. I asked them all what they thought of SB93 and its chances. Here are the bullet points:

1. None of them like the DOJ database. They are of the opinion that even though the law shields the data from open records requests, they believe that portion could be challenged at the State Supreme Court and there is a chance that would be deemed unconstitutional. They are ALL working on getting the DOJ database removed.
2. The Senate will pass it on Tuesday, the House on Thursday. The Governor could sign it the following week.
3. They all said that this is the best bill we could get at this time even though they agreed that Galloway's initial bill would of been better.
4. They said that as long as the Republican keep the majority, they are hoping to repeal some more of the restrictions in the next session after it has been proven that there isn't 'blood in the streets', 'shootouts at the OK corral'.

I asked that they look into changing the 4 month effective date on the parts that don't require the permit, for example, car carry. They all said they would.

I told them that I believed they were doing a good job and I appreciated their support and could count on mine.

skorittnig

Glad you were able to talk to them Paul- I have a feeling that if they keep their majority after recalls, other issues will be more pressing- and renditions to the already passed CCW bill will take a wayyyyy back seat. I am glad they have accomplished what they have thus far- especially before the recalls---I do not accept this bill as "perfect", we have the somewhat bipartisan influence to thank for the parts we are not happy with.

Jason in WI

Thanks for the info Paul!

They said that as long as the Republican keep the majority, they are hoping to repeal some more of the restrictions in the next session after it has been proven that there isn't 'blood in the streets', 'shootouts at the OK corral'.

I had the same thought before but didn't think the GOP would want to play with CC anymore this term after it passes. I'm not holding my breath but the budget reform bill and the recalls really screwed us so hopefully they will get some back bone if we remain in control.

Glockface

That's great! I would of liked CC better but this is acceptable to me.We'll take what we get and change it out later!Thanks for posting all the info!

safcrkr

Any talk of waivers for NICS and/or 48hr wait for permit holders?

I very recently read on NRA/ILA that the ATF just informed Kansas FFLs by "open letter" that they no longer need to do a NICS check on KS cc permit holders. That'd be a nice bonus for us too.

The 48 hr wait was a 1993 Brady Bill requirement until NICS went on line. NICS went on-line in 1998, negating federally mandated waiting periods... yet WI still has one on handguns. That needs to go too.

apierce918

Any talk of waivers for NICS and/or 48hr wait for permit holders?

I very recently read on NRA/ILA that the ATF just informed Kansas FFLs by "open letter" that they no longer need to do a NICS check on KS cc permit holders. That'd be a nice bonus for us too.

The 48 hr wait was a 1993 Brady Bill requirement until NICS went on line. NICS went on-line in 1998, negating federally mandated waiting periods... yet WI still has one on handguns. That needs to go too.

jay weber said on his radio show that you wouldnt need the background checks, but i dont know where he got it from, and i dont think he is right.

Last edited:

oak1971

Just get the darn thing signed and get ready for the next fight.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

HandyHamlet

Beatings? I think our forefathers had the right idea.

Tar
Feathers
Run out on a rail

Rockford IL in close.

:shocker:

Mlutz

Yes, we NEED to get rid of the waiting period. They know if your legal most of the time in seconds. Also, every time (except my first pistol purchase) I go to buy a new one, I have one on my hip already. So the "cool down" does not make sense. I already have a pistol, why do I need to wait 48 hours for a new one?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
1. None of them like the DOJ database. They are of the opinion that even though the law shields the data from open records requests, they believe that portion could be challenged at the State Supreme Court and there is a chance that would be deemed unconstitutional. They are ALL working on getting the DOJ database removed.
FYI, you really NEED to keep the DOJ database if you want Wisconsin's permits to be recognized by the most states possible. Nevada, Virginia, and West Virginia explicitly require such a database by statute and Minnesota de facto requires one. Given that you successfully defended your state Supreme Court from the loonies, do not sell yourselves short on this point.

Mlutz

FYI, you really NEED to keep the DOJ database if you want Wisconsin's permits to be recognized by the most states possible. Nevada, Virginia, and West Virginia explicitly require such a database by statute and Minnesota de facto requires one. Given that you successfully defended your state Supreme Court from the loonies, do not sell yourselves short on this point.

Nevada requires range time to qualify...

cleveland

That is encouraging news Paul, thanks again!

Will UT and FL permits be honored right away? If not, how long will it take for the out of states permits to be honored? The full four months?

Yes, we NEED to get rid of the waiting period. They know if your legal most of the time in seconds. Also, every time (except my first pistol purchase) I go to buy a new one, I have one on my hip already. So the "cool down" does not make sense. I already have a pistol, why do I need to wait 48 hours for a new one?

I took one of my boys with me when I purchased up my last pistol. He asked why I couldn't take it home with me right away. I said the government has a cool down period so someone can not buy a gun when they are angry and then go shoot someone. His reply was priceless! "Dad, they could just go get one of their other guns." I guess it never occurred to him that there may be people that don't own guns. LOL!

skorittnig

Interesting point.

paul@paul-fisher.com

That is encouraging news Paul, thanks again!

Will UT and FL permits be honored right away? If not, how long will it take for the out of states permits to be honored? The full four months?

At this second, not much is right away. Let's see what happens Tuesday in the Senate and Thursday in the house. Hopefully within a week (or two) we can definitively answer these questions.