• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Former GA resident but now CT resident question

CTSurvivor

My question hasn't been asked or at least that I could find after searching for hours on here.

I was from Connecticut and moved to Georgia a few years ago to take a job as a corrections officer. Kingsland to be exact.
I moved back to Connecticut a year later and with my CT and GA permit.
My GA permit is due to expire soon and I was wondering how I would go about keeping it valid without screwing myself out of having a resident CT permit?

I do plan to return on vacation to see all my former fellow coworkers and friends within the next month or two and plan to carry and openly if I can find where to check the Camden country, kingsland, and St. Marys ordinances on OCing. I definitely don't wanna break any laws down around this area of Georgia.
I did open carry when I was living down there, in front of many cops, and they never looked twice with the exception of one encounter I flipped my badge and the cop asked how I like my HK. But.... we are talking about 4 years ago.

Any help is very appreciated. THANKS!!!

Freiheit417

Hi CTSurvivor,

I'll leave your original question to the folks in GA, but it sounds like that may be tricky one.

On a side note, you may want to consider applying for a Florida non-resident license ASAP. I'm from CT and I got my FL license pretty quickly. While I don't think one month would be possible, you may get it within two.

The FL license is recognized by quite a few states, including GA.

Good luck!

CTSurvivor

Hi CTSurvivor,

I'll leave your original question to the folks in GA, but it sounds like that may be tricky one.

On a side note, you may want to consider applying for a Florida non-resident license ASAP. I'm from CT and I got my FL license pretty quickly. While I don't think one month would be possible, you may get it within two.

The FL license is recognized by quite a few states, including GA.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for the response.
Do you think with Florida have reciprocity with Georgia they will hand me a permit by filling out an application? Or do I have to wait forever?

CTSurvivor

GA doesn't issue to non-residents so you won't be able to renew it unless you move back down.

Alternative to the FL permit...you could get an AZ permit. It's about 1/2 the cost with almost identical reciprocity. Can be done thru the mail and a copy of one of your permits will suffice for training requirement.

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Permits/Obtain/

Thank you sir for the information. I will give them a call Monday morning and ask them to mail me out an application packet. Just trying to cover all the basis for the infrequent inter state travel I do. I wish they would just hurry up and give a federal 50 state permit already.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
Thank you sir for the information. I will give them a call Monday morning and ask them to mail me out an application packet. Just trying to cover all the basis for the infrequent inter state travel I do. I wish they would just hurry up and give a federal 50 state permit already.

AZ will accept some hunters safety certs OR your ct permit since it requires training...call them to see if CT is on their list. I know Florida is cause that is what i used to apply for mine.

rmodel65

there are no local regulations on where you can carry in GA they are preempted by state law..

mrjam2jab

AZ will accept some hunters safety certs OR your ct permit since it requires training...call them to see if CT is on their list. I know Florida is cause that is what i used to apply for mine.

AZ will accept any permit that required training to get. Since CT requires training it's good.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

ETA: I just realized that we said the exact same thing. :D

Last edited:

Freiheit417

GA doesn't issue to non-residents so you won't be able to renew it unless you move back down.

Alternative to the FL permit...you could get an AZ permit. It's about 1/2 the cost with almost identical reciprocity. Can be done thru the mail and a copy of one of your permits will suffice for training requirement.

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Permits/Obtain/

True about the AZ permit, but not recognized by Florida. As long as the OP in only concerned about GA, then AZ would be a good alternative.

To the OP - the FL license was not too difficult to get. I used the same training cert that I used for the CT permit - NRA basic pistol. You do have to get ink prints done for the Florida license, unless you are willing to go to Florida to get them done in person electronically. http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Last edited:

CTSurvivor

True about the AZ permit, but not recognized by Florida. As long as the OP in only concerned about GA, then AZ would be a good alternative.

To the OP - the FL license was not too difficult to get. I used the same training cert that I used for the CT permit - NRA basic pistol. You do have to get ink prints done for the Florida license, unless you are willing to go to Florida to get them done in person electronically. http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Thanks. Florida is a concern of mine as I travel there infrequently.