• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Welcome to the vBulletin OCDO!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the new vBulletin based OpenCarry.org! The new software has literally hundreds and hundreds of options and I expect to be very busy over the next few days and even weeks responding to suggestions and issues.

This is the thread to report those issues and suggestions in.

Before reporting these issues, please read the following:

Also ... note that depending upon volume, etc, you might not get an immediate reply here about an issue or suggestion you report. That does NOT mean that we are not working on it.

1) Known issues

- Some threads from yesterday morning were lost because of the timing of the backup and subsequent shutdown of the old forum.
- Avatars did not convert: You will need to re-upload your avatars
- Some attachments did not convert: If these are important, they will need to be reposted
- There are many posts which links to threads at opencarry.mywowbb.com which will no longer work: These should be updated as we find them

2) Suggestions

- The new software offers many more options that the user can set. Please visit your profile and settings and explore these.
- The forum will auto-log you off if you are inactive for 1 hour. CLick 'Remember Me' when you login to avoid having to repeatedly login.

3) Decisions we made

- There is a limit of 1,000 on the number of PMs you can keep in your inbox.

Thanks for your patience as we move the forum to a more robust and MUCH better supported platform!

John

fullauto223cal

One quick issue. I checked a old essay I submitted and after attempting to correct some formatting issues it said that posts are limited to something like 100000 letters. It's allowing it in it's altered (ugly) state but not with the fixes. Is that something that can be amended?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
I see that the Law Library forum is again populated. Will it be maintained and may I post Wisconsin state specific material and/or links?

For instance, I found this listed in my attachments, http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2322&d=1204046323 that is a recent version of Wisconsin Crimes Against Public Health and Safety that includes §941.23 prohibiting CCW. I have my own copy in my computer while others should be more aware of it. It's ll pages and 99.5 KB PDF

Last edited:

Tomas

Looks good, John. There WILL be suggestions/complaints/confusion, but it should all work out once everyone gets more familiar with the layout.

I've already gone through and set my options and profile info (the defaults here are are quite different than what I run on my sites), and it all seems to work right.

To the person above with the blackberry, I'm running Tapatalk (http://www.tapatalk.com/) on my sites and it works very well, and covers a number of mobile devices.

Tom

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I corrected the server time and have set all user's time zones to EST.

The clock apparently has not been set yet. Shows "The time is now 07.24 PM" at 1424.

Yes, we each must set our timezone but something is awry still.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I have updated the forum to allow posts to be up to 20,000 characters long. That should allow for any postings (even essays). :)

One quick issue. I checked a old essay I submitted and after attempting to correct some formatting issues it said that posts are limited to something like 100000 letters. It's allowing it in it's altered (ugly) state but not with the fixes. Is that something that can be amended?

Sabotage70

I just have one suggestion so far. Can you remove the "Important post" tag from the post. I just find it unnecessary if every post says important post. The skins option would be nice. And a smiley box off to the side like before when composing a post. With more smiley's like my personal favorite.Don't know:
shrug1.gif

I love how I can hover over the thread topics for a couple of seconds and read the first couple of sentences with out opening the thread. And now we can have signatures. Hopefully this won't get abused by putting large pics in them.
TY and keep up the great work.

curtiswr

GlockTalk and Tapatalk have just had a very bad problem. Tapatalk has some problems with it apparently that makes it easier for hackers to exploit something and ruin the site. I'm not sure of all the details but GlockTalk's admin has now sworn off Tapatalk completely because of it and some other issues with them.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235246

If I could only wish for one thing on the new OCDO forums it would be the ability for each user to choose from a list of predefined color schemes as some other forums allow for.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the catch! The server time has been fixed.

• The default time zone for the site is two hours off, so until that's changed all times will be off, even if the individuals set their correct TZ in their settings.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I will work on your suggestions.

Just a quick note about signatures ... the size is limited so that should not be an issue.

I just have one suggestion so far. Can you remove the "Important post" tag from the post. I just find it unnecessary if every post says important post. The skins option would be nice. And a smiley box off to the side like before when composing a post. With more smiley's like my personal favorite.Don't know:
shrug1.gif

I love how I can hover over the thread topics for a couple of seconds and read the first couple of sentences with out opening the thread. And now we can have signatures. Hopefully this won't get abused by putting large pics in them.
TY and keep up the great work.

Tomas

Actually that's "Imported" post - the software put that on all the ones that were imported from the old software rather posted new using vB... Probably not much John can do about that.