• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on use of force for you to ponder and give me input on

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
OMG. Big difference. Huge difference. Almost an insult. Especially Prince Georges County, MD. That place is a dump. Look what runs their local government and mans its agencies and look what lives there. A real mess.

That's not what I meant. The syndicate feed just said Prince George County. Since I only try to take feeds from Va, I assume Va...but since NOVA and Maryland are close (as in Southside Va. and NC) NOVA news feeds sometimes include Maryland.

palerider116

Considering the officer's use of force options include deadly force, if the officer has not drawn his weapon, I would recommend keeping yours holstered. Stepping in to assist an officer, that can be a personal choice. However, if the officer called out to you assist him, under 18.2-463, that is legally compelling.

Being a good witness is most of the time the best possible solution. If the officer is chasing a suspect on foot, the cavalry is already coming to him. If the situation appears to be quickly becoming unfavorable for the officer (he now has a 3 on 1 fight on his hands, etc), then determine for yourself how you want to approach it. Sometimes he won't hear someone calling out to him if he is in a fight (auditory exclusion). If he calls out for help, then help. A good citizen is often the closest back up an officer will find.

But then again........... :(

VA CODE 18.2-463:

If any person on being required by any sheriff or other officer refuse or neglect to assist him: (1) in the execution of his office in a criminal case, (2) in the preservation of the peace, (3) in the apprehending or securing of any person for a breach of the peace, or (4) in any case of escape or rescue, he shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Wylde, why must you always bring your anti-LEO comments to every thread? If you believe LEOs are savagely beating innocent citizens to death then please let me know who and where. My coworkers and I would be more angry than you. Trust me, simply pepper spraying someone results in a month long internal investigation. I don't see how any officer could savagely beat someone to death and get away with it. Can you even provide a cite of a time when an officer savagely beat someone to death and it was not warranted?

Oh, this is rich. LEO229 kettle calling the pot black.

LEO229 in effect insists on differentiating between unwarranted police beatings and beatings to death, while just earlier generalizes that Wylde brings anti-cop sentiments to every thread. Bwahahahahaha!! I've seen a number of Wylde's posts that had no mention of cops in them. And, there are tons of threads here with no comment from Wylde at all.

I think it was LEO229 who brought the anti-cop sentiment to this thread by reading excessive anti-copness into Wylde's post and then commenting on it when he could have just let it pass, or made the distinctions himself without attacking or accusing Wylde. LEO229 did more to get the discussed turned anti-cop than anybody else with his own over-reaction.

Last edited:

DJEEPER

i suppose i did leave out that the officer DID have his weapon drawn on the person who he was cuffing while the 2 were walking up.

but when the mother (the 2nd to get arrested) came too close, he reholstered and cuffed her.

I was doing the witness thing and keeping my distance. I was ok with that until he couldnt get the 2 other people to stop approaching, and he was struggling with the mother as her son was strutting and pacing in the street less than 10 feet away while the cop continually told him to back up. Only then did my mind start thinking about "what if this gets bad on the cop"

Im not one to jump in on something if it is none of my business. Im not a superhero or a cowboy....but i would like to be mentally prepared for the worst case scenario... im not going to stand by and just spectate while an officer receives a beat down. I never go looking for a fight, or an opportunity to use force... that would be last on my check list as a last resort. (figured i would just clear that up, haha)

There are good opinions and inputs from everyone on here in this thread. Knowledge is power.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Two times in my short life, I have asked an officer if they would like assistance - both times it was accepted - hands on wrist lock and cuffed and the other a leg strike to the back of a knee.

Would I do it again - probably - I'm built that way, but I would likely never just jump in w/o extreme circumstances. In neither of the first two instances was deadly force even thought about.

One occasion some years ago in another state, I came around the corner of a building to find a man trying to pull an armed security officer's weapon from his old style snap holster - there was quite a struggle going on for the gun and I knew the officer well. Ya, I drew and made certain promises from about 7 ft away - there ended the lesson fortunately.

palerider116

Just remember the risk of having a drawn firearm near a police officer when other officers arrive. If you are going to draw a firearm near a police officer, I would recommend getting on your phone at the same time and dialing 911. Give the call taker your location, your clothing description and physical description, give suspect/belligerent's description, and explain that the officer is in need of assistance. Its important that responding officers know that the officer on scene is being assisted by a citizen that has a firearm displayed.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Defense of others is justified only when the "other" is an innocent victim; unless you know you can meet that threshold question, it makes absolutely no difference whether the attacker is a cop or not, or how much force the attacker is using. It might be a good idea to be available as a witness, if you can do so safely, and I'm all in favor of eliminating injustice - but you're not going to help by jumping into a fight when you don't actually have personal knowledge of the facts, especially the identity of the parties. If the cop has run down a fleeing felon who is offering resistance, and you think the cop should be called for unnecessary roughness, and get in the middle of it (not knowing that the running man is a felon), you're going to have some serious problems. It won't make a spit's worth of difference how rough the cop was, because the "victim" was not "innocent".

NovaCop

Defense of others is justified only when the "other" is an innocent victim; unless you know you can meet that threshold question, it makes absolutely no difference whether the attacker is a cop or not, or how much force the attacker is using. It might be a good idea to be available as a witness, if you can do so safely, and I'm all in favor of eliminating injustice - but you're not going to help by jumping into a fight when you don't actually have personal knowledge of the facts, especially the identity of the parties. If the cop has run down a fleeing felon who is offering resistance, and you think the cop should be called for unnecessary roughness, and get in the middle of it (not knowing that the running man is a felon), you're going to have some serious problems. It won't make a spit's worth of difference how rough the cop was, because the "victim" was not "innocent".

+1

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Defense of others is justified only when the "other" is an innocent victim; unless you know you can meet that threshold question, it makes absolutely no difference whether the attacker is a cop or not, or how much force the attacker is using.

I've heard this before, even from a self-defense legal expert, but I've never seen a cite. I've read a few cases where, as I recall, the defender had to be innocent, or if not innocent had to purge the taint by attempting to withdraw or otherwise make clear his unwillingness to continue the difficulty. But, I've never actually seen a cite for defending a third party that required the third party to be innocent.

Do you have a cite?

2a4all

Innocent of what? Are you using "innocent" (including quotes) to indicate something other than "until proven guilty" here? Or do you mean "innocent" of having provoked the confrontation? If the felon is fleeing, he is clearly demonstrating his "innocence" by his intent to withdraw. However, a defender in this instance will no doubt run afoul of "interfering with a police officer perfoming his/her duties".

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
cites requested

Defense of others - other party must be "innocent" (note the same rule applies to self-defense - the theory is that you can't cause a ruckus and then claim excuse or justification because you had to defend yourself. My personal opinion is that this varies depending on the type of provocation - provoking a burglar by telling him to get out of your house is different from hitting a guy over the head with a beer bottle in a bar fight.)

Self-defense and defense of others are affirmative defenses for which the accused has the burden of persuading the fact finder that he or she acted in defense of self or another to the degree necessary to raise a reasonable doubt about his or her guilt. See Smith, 17 Va. App. at 71, 435 S.E.2d at 416; Foster v. Commonwealth, 13 Va. App. 380, 385, 412 S.E.2d 198, 201-02 (1991) (recognizing defense of others “is commensurate with self-defense”). Although undisputed facts may establish self-defense as a matter of law, see, e.g., Hensley v. Commonwealth, 161 Va. 1033, 170 S.E. 568 (1933), whether the accused establishes that he or she acted in either respect is generally a question of fact. See Yarborough v. Commonwealth, 217 Va. 971, 979, 234 S.E.2d 286, 292 (1977).

A claim of self-defense may be either justifiable or excusable; if it is either, the accused is entitled to an acquittal. See Bailey v. Commonwealth, 200 Va. 92, 96, 104 S.E.2d 28, 31 (1958). “Justifiable homicide in self-defense occurs [when] a person, without any fault on his part in provoking or bringing on the difficulty, kills another under reasonable apprehension of death or great bodily harm to himself.” Id. (emphasis added). “If an accused ‘is even slightly at fault’ at creating the difficulty leading to the necessity to kill, ‘the killing is not justifiable homicide.’” Smith, 17 Va. App. at 71, 435 S.E.2d at 416.

Excusable homicide in self-defense occurs where the accused, although in some fault in the first instance in provoking or bringing on the difficulty, when attacked retreats as far as possible, announces his desire for peace, and kills his adversary from a reasonably apparent necessity to preserve his own life or save himself from great bodily harm.

Bailey, 200 Va. at 96, 104 S.E.2d at 31 (citations omitted).

“[A] person asserting a claim of defense of others may do so only where the person to whose aid he or she went would have been legally entitled to defend himself or herself.” Foster, 13 Va. App. at 385, 412 S.E.2d at 201 (citing with approval 40 Am. Jur. 2d Homicide § 171 (1968)). Thus, one may be justified in using deadly force to defend another person where he or she reasonably believes that the person defended faces an imminent threat of serious bodily harm or death and that such person was not at fault in bringing about the necessity to use the deadly force. See Foster, 13 Va. App. at 385-86, 412 S.E.2d at 201-02; see also 1 Wayne R. LaFave, Substantive Criminal Law § 5.8 (1986).
Lynn v. Commonwealth, 27 Va. App. 336, 352-354, 499 S.E.2d 1 (1998)

=====
As to Foster's contention that he was entitled to have the jury instructed on defense of others, we hold that the trial court did not err in refusing the instruction. Foster's tendered instruction was an erroneous statement of the Virginia law. However, because the issue will necessarily arise on remand, we address what is the state of the law in Virginia on defense of others. The Supreme Court has clearly recognized that one is privileged to use force in defense of family members. See Newberry v. Commonwealth, 191 Va. 445, 459, 61 S.E.2d 318, 324 (1950); Green v. Commonwealth, 122 Va. 862, 871, 94 S.E.940, 942 (1918); Hodges v. Commonwealth, 89 Va. 265, 272, 15 S.E. 513, 516 (1892). We find no Virginia cases, nor have any been cited to us, determining whether and when a person can use force to protect or defend a third person. Generally, however, this privilege is not limited to family members and extends to anyone, even a stranger who is entitled to claim self-defense. See 40 Am. Jur. 2d Homicide § 170 (1968); In re Neagle, 135 U.S. 1, 75-76 (1890); State v. Saunders, 330 S.E.2d 674, 675, 76 (W. Va. 1985); Yardley v. State, 100 S.W. 399, 400 (Tex. Crim. App. 1907); State v. Bowers, 65 S.C. 207, ___ , 43 S.E. 656, 657-58 (1903); Stanley v. Commonwealth, 86 Ky. 440, ___, 6 S.W. 155, 155-57 (1887); Mitchell v. State, 22 Ga. 211, 234 (1857). Like self-defense, the circumstances in which the protection of others may be raised as a defense are carefully circumscribed so as to preclude such a claim in situations where one has instigated the fray in order to provide an excuse for assaulting or murdering his enemy. In a majority of jurisdictions, a person asserting a claim of defense of others may do so only where the person to whose aid he or she went would have been legally entitled to defend himself or herself. 40 Am. Jur. 2d Homicide § 171 (1968). Thus, the right to defend another “is commensurate with self-defense.” Id. Consequently, in those jurisdictions which recognize the defense, the limitations on the right to defend one's self are equally applicable, with slight modifications, to one's right to defend another. One must reasonably apprehend death or serious bodily harm to another before he or she is privileged to use force in defense of the other person. The amount of force which may be used must be reasonable in relation to the harm threatened. See Diffendal, 8 Va. App. at 421, 383 S.E.2d at 25-26 (delineating limitations in self-defense context).

Jurisdictions which recognize the defense are split on the question whether the person to whose aid one comes must be free from fault in order to claim the defense of protection of others. The majority of those courts which have addressed the question have adopted an objective test so that one “may act on and is governed by the appearance of conditions when he arrives upon the scene, provided he acts honestly and according to what seems reasonably necessary in order to afford protection.” 40 Am. Jur. 2d Homicide § 172 (1968). Thus, under the majority view, in order to justifiably defend another, the defendant must reasonably believe that the person being defended was free from fault; whether the defended person was, in fact, free from fault is legally irrelevant to the defense in those jurisdictions. This view is based on the principle that one should not be convicted of a crime for attempting to protect one whom he or she perceives to be a faultless victim from a violent assault. Under this approach, the policy of the law is to encourage individuals to come to the aid of perceived victims of assault. Id. We find this position to be well-grounded in principle and policy. Accordingly, we hold that the law pertaining to defense of others is that one may avail himself or herself of the defense only where he or she reasonably believes, based on the attendant circumstances, that the person defended is without fault in provoking the fray.
Foster v. Commonwealth, 13 Va. App. 380, 385-386, 412 S.E.2d 198 (1991)