• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Outdated Liquor sign

Jack House

wwlIM.jpg

Found this at a local bar. Obviously this sign means nothing. It's speaking gibberish as far as I can tell. ;)

Interestingly, I couldn't seem to locate the bar's liquor license.:uhoh:

Last edited:

pooley

Was that sign posted on the door/window or just on a wall somewhere inside?

Jack House

It's posted at the entrance. Like I said, the sign is meaningless because that's no longer the law.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIPFound this at a local bar. Obviously this sign means nothing. It's speaking gibberish as far as I can tell. ;)

Interestingly, I couldn't seem to locate the bar's liquor license.:uhoh:

Too bad I am opposed to government licensing. I would be very tempted to sic the government on the operator for his own violation. Of course, I might be able salve my conscience if I could establish the operator really supported the law given on the sign by chalking it up to siccing government on a government supporter.

Bad form for a freedom advocate, I know. But its tempting.

Jack House

Too bad I am opposed to government licensing. I would be very tempted to sic the government on the operator for his own violation. Of course, I might be able salve my conscience if I could establish the operator really supported the law given on the sign by chalking it up to siccing government on a government supporter.

Bad form for a freedom advocate, I know. But its tempting.
Here is a question: if a bar is a 51% establishment, but does not display their 51% sign where it is clearly visible to the public. Then does the prohibition on carrying in a 51% bar still apply?

If so, then by siccing the government on this bar would be doing a service to other freedom loving citizens such as myself. I'd sure hate to be arrested for carrying into a 51% bar that I didn't know was a 51% bar because there was no readily apparent sign stating such. ;)

mustangkiller

I'm not aware of any iron clad proof to support this but I figure the 51% sign was devised to remove any doubt or confusion. If they don't have a 51% sign how are you to know and why is it your responsibility to know how any given business earns their income. I know ignorance is no excuse for not knowing the law but it surely has to be an excuse for not knowing how a guy makes his money.

Let me word it another way... Say you and I are good friends. Say I'm also a serial killer with a teenage sex slave. How can you be held responsible under good Samaritan laws if you had no idea? Same kinda thing but admittedly quite a bit darker.

Jack House

Well the will say one way or the other. Schools, I think, are always prohibited, whether they have any signs. A place that posts a 30.06 sign is only prohibited if the sign is clearly visible and follows a host of regulations.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

KBCraig

Here is a question: if a bar is a 51% establishment, but does not display their 51% sign where it is clearly visible to the public. Then does the prohibition on carrying in a 51% bar still apply?

Yes. However, it's a defense to prosecution if they don't have the proper sign posted.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;

(k) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (b)(1) that the actor was not given effective notice under Section 411.204, Government Code.

Sec. 411.204. NOTICE REQUIRED ON CERTAIN PREMISES.
(a) A business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, and that derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code, shall prominently display at each entrance to the business premises a sign that complies with the requirements of Subsection (c).

(c) The sign required under Subsections (a) and (b) must give notice in both English and Spanish that it is unlawful for a person licensed under this subchapter to carry a handgun on the premises. The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height and must include on its face the number "51" printed in solid red at least five inches in height. The sign shall be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Last edited: