• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how close to a school can you carry ?

peckerwood1986

I was wondering how close to a school can you carry. I know you can not carry on the property but is there a distance law or code or something?

decklin

Until you are on school property provided you have a State issued Carry Permit. If you have no permit then Federal law says you must maintain a 1000' standoff.

FallonJeeper

You can also carry within the 1000 ft zone with these exceptions to the Federal Gun Free Sschool Zone Act :

(ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;

(iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual

and on school property with this exceptionto NRS 202.265 :

"written permission from the principal of the school"

(Good luck with either one)

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

Not that it's really enforceable, but if you don't meet one of the other exceptions such a licensed carry or written permission, you can still traverse the zone with your firearm that is not loaded and in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle.

I don't know if a glove box or console will suffice.

Last edited:

mbogo470

It doesn't appear enforceable as one would have to know where every school in Nevada is located and assiduously avoid them while driving.

mbogo

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Just keep in mind that the Federal Gun Free School Zone is not enforced in most states, including NV. The only time you will ever hear about this being charged to someone is as an addition to other more serious crimes.

For example, if Joe Gangbanger gets caught selling dope across the street from a school, and they find his pistol under the seat of his car, he will also be charged with the violation of the FGFSZA because his lawyer won't bother fighting it as he has bigger problems to deal with. The 1996 law is just as unconstitutional as the 1990 law that SCOTUS already ruled on.

The rest is just Internet experts expounding their knowledge of the "law."

If you don't have a permit because you exclusively open carry, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

28kfps

Just keep in mind that the Federal Gun Free School Zone is not enforced in most states, including NV. The only time you will ever hear about this being charged to someone is as an addition to other more serious crimes.

For example, if Joe Gangbanger gets caught selling dope across the street from a school, and they find his pistol under the seat of his car, he will also be charged with the violation of the FGFSZA because his lawyer won't bother fighting it as he has bigger problems to deal with. The 1996 law is just as unconstitutional as the 1990 law that SCOTUS already ruled on.

The rest is just Internet experts expounding their knowledge of the "law."

If you don't have a permit because you exclusively open carry, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Yep Mac, a great way to put it, experts expounding their knowledge. I believe we all do appreciate being informed of a law accurately however, we do have some laws that are never enforced or not enforced to the letter as written. Though not posting on this thread we have the one poster that will run the threads for several pages after being told his knowalge of the law is correct however never enforced.

punisherprice

Not that it's really enforceable, but if you don't meet one of the other exceptions such a licensed carry or written permission, you can still traverse the zone with your firearm that is not loaded and in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle.

I don't know if a glove box or console will suffice.

But wouldnt the "car is an extension of your home " rule kinda trump that? But then again I cant find any NRS that verifies that rule. From what i get from it, you carry in your car as long as you dont get out within view of a school. Because that would be ridiculous, what if i live within the 1000' of the school?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
But wouldnt the "car is an extension of your home " rule kinda trump that? But then again I cant find any NRS that verifies that rule. From what i get from it, you carry in your car as long as you dont get out within view of a school. Because that would be ridiculous, what if i live within the 1000' of the school?

Yeah, I don't know where that saying comes from, exactly. There is no NV law regarding being in the proximity of the school. It is an unconstitutional federal law that will not be enforced here like it is in some states (most of whom have their own similar legislation).

But yes, if you are going to obey the letter of this law, it applies immediately after leaving private property within that 1000' zone.