• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Army Vet Denied Right To Own Gun Due To 42-Year-Old Misdemeanor Drug Charge

OC for ME

MagiK_SacK

What has always bugged me, and makes me curious. Would this story (1) have even been reported if it wasn't an Army Vet? (2) What makes it more of an issue because he is a Vet?

In my eyes, it shouldn't matter that he is a Vet. It is a constitutional right all citizens have. It should be just as big of a deal if he was just a guy that was denied the purchase.

Before anybody gets upset and tries to say, 'You have never served, you don't get it', I am currently Active Duty. If there is anything that really bugs me is people that believe there military service puts them in a higher level of society.

Griz

Being a veteran gives the story a touch of irony. The guy used to shoot some of the biggest guns available but can't buy a .22? It tells me we have stupid laws that aren't very well researched or implemented.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Being a veteran gives the story a touch of irony. The guy used to shoot some of the biggest guns available but can't buy a .22? It tells me we have stupid laws that aren't very well researched or implemented.

It also tells me something's fishy.

As far as I know, misdemeanor drug possession isn't yet a justification for government to refuse to recognize 2A rights. There's more to the story, or the FBI records are wrong or something.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Assuming there isn't more to the story, this guy is among the statistics that will be cited by Brady and MAIG to prove that background checks lead to some denials and therefore work!

davidmcbeth

Banned

Or that the Army will take anyone :cool::cool:

Being a vet means nothing in respect to civilian gun rights....

As a vet, I cringe when people bring it up --- why make it a point that can lead to disgracing your branch of the service?

But I guess in the case of the Army, how can you ? :)

Prison or Army son? (Judge talking)

I just looked at some Army recruitment stuff ... has MOS of "medic", "medical assist.", "computer programmer", etc not an even mention of infantryman even to be seen lol

Last edited:

KBCraig

Way back in the day, there was no maximum sentence for possession of marijuana in Texas. There's a chance this is being treated as a felony conviction because of that, just like a DUI in Massachusetts is now.