• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarification on 1000 ft. buffer zone around schools. Streets and sidewalks legal?

28kfps

Fact. I have never read where a person was arrested here in Nevada where the arrest was only for carrying a firearm within 1000' of a school.
What about the hundreds of home with guns across the street from a school? If they remove the guns from their house and into their vehicle to go shooting are they breaking the law or going to be arrested? My sister lives across from a school I OC many times front yard, from the car parked on the street. Have I been lucky? I believe being arrested for getting out of the car in front of my sister house for the purpose of visiting my sister is a nonissue.

Ron_O

Fact. I have never read where a person was arrested here in Nevada where the arrest was only for carrying a firearm within 1000' of a school.

What about the hundreds of home with guns across the street from a school? If they remove the guns from their house and into their vehicle to go shooting are they breaking the law or going to be arrested? My sister lives across from a school I OC many times front yard, from the car parked on the street. Have I been lucky? I believe being arrested for getting out of the car in front of my sister house for the purpose of visiting my sister is a nonissue.

I concur and this is why I've asked the question in the first place. Whether misdemeanor or felony isn't the issue for me. It's the same as with the Clark County parks issue, where it's illegal to possess a firearm within the park boundaries. With the parks issue it's easier to 'avoid' being there altogether, but when it comes to the school buffer zone it's not a practical issue.

On my average 15-20 mile bike rides I probably pass 2-5 schools on a given day. Undoubtedly thousands of vehicles with firearms do the same thing. This is why I don't OC while I'm riding, I keep it in my bicycle pouch. And to me this is why the code needs to be challenged, it's not practical nor enforceable in a practical sense.

I do agree with Eagle2009's example of checkpoints, however. I can't imagine it would come to that with schools but it's one more nail in the coffin as it relates to our erosion of freedoms. I've been through MANY of those checkpoints along the interstates and it's a feeling of violation like no other. Dogs circling your vehicle, intrusive questions, dozens of cameras, and more. Just because you're driving down the freeway.

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

There are a couple exceptions and ways to carry in a FGFSZ. We've discussed this plenty on these forums. I open carry in FGFSZ all day long, legally.