• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Likely list of states that will recognize the WI license

Captain Nemo

Thanks for the list Paul. Hope it holds up. I live 20 miles East of St. Pauls so the missing Minnesota (aka midwest California) entry does concern me. Minnesota does not have a constitutionaal right to keep and bear arms amendment in it's state constitution. One of only six states that don't. Even Illinois has one. That means carry of firearms in Minnesota is strictly a state issued privilege. Don't know if that is a factor in not recognizing a WI permit or not. Probably only one of a number. With the feelings of animosity between the two states in this area this is possibly going to be a hard thing to change. I wonder where Gene German is concerning this issue. Seems like he has some work to do in his home state now.

Don't forget that even though a Wisconsin permit may be accepted in all the states listed federal law still prohibits concealed carry in the 1000 foot school zone of all those states except those you hold a permit for. Even though the new CC law in Wisconsin implies that a out of state permit holder who holds a permit from a state recognized by Wisconsin enjoys the same benefits as a resident holder, that position has not been acknowledged by the federal goverment. The federal GFSZ has got to go. It effectively nullifies carry of loaded concealed firearms in many large cities. Places where carry of firearms for personal protection is most needed. Just look at the GFSZ overlap in Milwaukee.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Wisconsin Could Become the GoTo State for out of state Permits

That's what I meant. Is there any avenue for out of state residents, like Utah does.

Ah well...

With the way Wisconsin has structured the law that Governor Walker is scheduled to sign tomorrow, Wisconsin is set up, with a small amount of effort, to become the first choice for people to get out of state permits.

True, Wisconsin does not have a provision for out of state permits at present; but this obstacle could easlily be overcome next session, as people point out that the only purpose served by it is to deprive Wisconsin of an easily obtainable revenue stream. Wisconsin could easily add three to five million a year to its revenue, perhaps much more, by that simple change.

Advantages for a Wisconsin out of state permit:

1. No time consuming and expensive photographs required.

2. Easily met training requirements with no established training base (such as in Utah) to lobby against the out of state permits.

3. No time consuming and expensive fingerprints required. The same background check applies when buying a gun from a shop.

4. Reasonable fees. The $50 fee and $25 fee for applicaiton and renewal for five years are some of the best in the nation.

5. Some of the best reciprocity of any of the permits in the 49 states that have permits.

6. Applying for the original permit and renewal will be easily done by mail.

7. Some of the best privacy protections for the permit information in the United States.

8. If Wisconsin adds constitutional carry, there is no reason for the out of state permit numbers to be reduced. It would enhance Wisconsin's image as a state moving toward restoring of constitutional rights.

I would apply for a Wisconsin permit in an instant, if I were eligible, but being an Arizona resident, I am not allowed to do so under the law to be signed tomorrow.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
28jhan7.jpg

Is that a modified map starting with your Non-Resident Utah permit, and adding the proposed states that are listed above?

paul@paul-fisher.com

With the way Wisconsin has structured the law that Governor Walker is scheduled to sign tomorrow, Wisconsin is set up, with a small amount of effort, to become the first choice for people to get out of state permits.

True, Wisconsin does not have a provision for out of state permits at present; but this obstacle could easlily be overcome next session, as people point out that the only purpose served by it is to deprive Wisconsin of an easily obtainable revenue stream. Wisconsin could easily add three to five million a year to its revenue, perhaps much more, by that simple change.

Advantages for a Wisconsin out of state permit:

1. No time consuming and expensive photographs required.

2. Easily met training requirements with no established training base (such as in Utah) to lobby against the out of state permits.

3. No time consuming and expensive fingerprints required. The same background check applies when buying a gun from a shop.

4. Reasonable fees. The $50 fee and $25 fee for applicaiton and renewal for five years are some of the best in the nation.

5. Some of the best reciprocity of any of the permits in the 49 states that have permits.

6. Applying for the original permit and renewal will be easily done by mail.

7. Some of the best privacy protections for the permit information in the United States.

8. If Wisconsin adds constitutional carry, there is no reason for the out of state permit numbers to be reduced. It would enhance Wisconsin's image as a state moving toward restoring of constitutional rights.

I would apply for a Wisconsin permit in an instant, if I were eligible, but being an Arizona resident, I am not allowed to do so under the law to be signed tomorrow.

Once again, no thank. Next session, repeal WI permits.

Yooper

My Utah permit adds Minnesota and Washington; so counting the CC states I'll be able to carry in 38 states! Wowser!
2w2gf0p.jpg

Once WI officially recognizes MI, I'll be legal in 38 states w/ 1 permit. For some reason Maine won't recognize a MI permit, even though they recognize permits with far less strict requirements. They are the only state with reciprocity in the law that won't extend to MI. I'm waiting impatiently to be able to carry in WI.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Neither Arizona, Alaska, nor Wyoming repealed their permit system to go Constitutiona

Once again, no thank. Next session, repeal WI permits.

Why repeal the permit system instead of just adding Constitutional carry? That is what happened in Alaska, Wyoming, and Arizona. Permits are still useful for reciprocity. When we get Constitutional carry in all states, which could be a long way off, they could still be useful for international reciprocity.

treebound

I think I've got some reading and research to do after this weekend. But in the mean time would someone please provide a link to a site listing the requirements for each state relative to a non-resident in that state getting a CCW permit for each state?

And in the mean time, does this mean that with a WI permit I would not need a permit for those 30+ states in the list? Or does it mean that I have reciprosity but would still do some paperwork and pay a fee for a state specific endorsement or permit?

And why is Utah on the list when WA won't accept a WI permit when they accept a UT permit? If the WI permit requirements aren't stringent enough for WA, but UT's is then why would UT accept a WI permit? It would seem that if a WI permit is good enough for UT, and if a UT permit is good enough for WA, then a WI permit should be good enough for WA.

And what would I have to do to legally CCW in Oregon? Same question for M N and NV. (forgive the M N gap, just found another word I have to fix in my phone's auto spell checker, M N => minute for the moment).

Looks like I'd almost be able to drive or ride or pedal cross country, almost.

(Edit2: sorry about the double post)

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

And in the mean time, does this mean that with a WI permit I would not need a permit for those 30+ states in the list? Or does it mean that I have reciprosity but would still do some paperwork and pay a fee for a state specific endorsement or permit?

I can't answer the rest of your questions but the deal would be no fee. Just carry with your WI permit, following the state's you are in laws.

apierce918

Once WI officially recognizes MI, I'll be legal in 38 states w/ 1 permit. For some reason Maine won't recognize a MI permit, even though they recognize permits with far less strict requirements. They are the only state with reciprocity in the law that won't extend to MI. I'm waiting impatiently to be able to carry in WI.

I hear ya, I had my MI permit and moved out here 3 years ago... FINALLY I will be able to go back to how it used to be, (only better in WI now, haha)

Yooper

I think I've got some reading and research to do after this weekend. But in the mean time would someone please provide a link to a site listing the requirements for each state relative to a non-resident in that state getting a CCW permit for each state?

The advantage of having multiple permits, even if they are from states that recognize a WI permit, is the federal GFSZA issue. If Florida recognizes a WI permit, you can carry there, but are subject to the federal GFSZA law. However, if you also had a non-res Florida license, you'd be exempt from it.

And why is Utah on the list when WA won't accept a WI permit when they accept a UT permit? If the WI permit requirements aren't stringent enough for WA, but UT's is then why would UT accept a WI permit? It would seem that if a WI permit is good enough for UT, and if a UT permit is good enough for WA, then a WI permit should be good enough for WA.

Utah (like several states) will honor any states permit, whether or not they have background or training requirements

And what would I have to do to legally CCW in Oregon? Same question for M N and NV. (forgive the M N gap, just found another word I have to fix in my phone's auto spell checker, M N => minute for the moment).

Looks like I'd almost be able to drive or ride or pedal cross country, almost.

(Edit2: sorry about the double post)

Oregon doesn't offer reciprocity to any state, they do however offer non-resident permits, the catch however, is that you must reside in a state that borders Oregon

safcrkr

You sure about FL? I thought FL only honored permits from states that had photos and/or required fingerprints? FL will not honor MN permits for one or both of those reasons, AFAIK.

EDIT: I just did some checking. The reason FL will not honor a MN permit is simply because MN will not honor a FL permit, due to the less stringent training requirements. As WI will honor a FL permit, FL will likely reciprocate and honor a WI permit. Sorry, my mistake.

Last edited:

safcrkr

And all the people who wanted reciprocity because they go to MN won't be able to carry there with a WI permit anyways. What a bunch of morons who thought a permit automagically means you can carry in another state.

I'm one who wanted a permit for reciprocity, but I knew from the get-go that MN likely wouldn't honor a WI permit... unless much stricter training standards were in the WI law than I'd care to have. I've had a MN permit for almost 5 years (my 5 yrs is up in 13 days). I have family in FL, MN, and CO... but I live on the U.P. border and go into MI several times each week. My main concern was carrying in MI, and in CO. I can only do that with a WI issued permit. I've been able to carry in MN since '06, and FL (and all the other 28 states that honor a FL non-res) since '03.

If the list of states in the original post that WILL accept a WI permit is correct, that's quite a bit of reciprocity in my opinion. Just because MN isn't on that list (and anybody who knew MN's laws from having a MN permit class would've known that it likely wouldn't be) you call them morons?

EDIT: I now am convinced that FL will honor a WI permit, so I will not need to renew my $117 FL permit in 2 years. I just saved $67... which I can now use to get a UT permit, which will fill any voids left by not having a FL permit, INCLUDING not renewing my $100 MN permit, because I can carry in MN on a $65 UT permit, and FL on a $50 WI permit.

Hmmm... let's see. I can spend $50 on a WI permit, $65 on a UT permit... still carry everywhere I could before, but now I can carry in my most likely out-of-state destinations of MI & CO (not to mention right here in WI). All this for $115. Better than the $217 I'd spend on another MN and another FL permit, which still wouldn't allow carry in WI, MI, CO. Moron? ROFLMAO.

Last edited:

treebound

Oregon doesn't offer reciprocity to any state, they do however offer non-resident permits, the catch however, is that you must reside in a state that borders Oregon

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it.

I would guess that being born in Oregon and having relatives living there wouldn't get me an exclusion to the bordering state rule. Bummer.