• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

*how* to open carry

bmwguy11

I read through all of the stickys, and couldn't find it, but I thought there was a step by step guide somewhere on HOW to open carry. Something to do with getting out of your car, removing the gun case from the car completely, taking out the gun, etc. I think there were some nuances in how exactly to get the gun from the car into your holster, and vice versa when you get ready to leave?

carry for myself

all of these depending on state law and the state you live in can be tricky. i cant find this thread either but i know that here in maine, a few people have been charged with concealing for loading while in the car, while a few officers have taken a crack at "brandishing" for loading, chambering and holstering outside of a vehicle. what i would advise is to contact a gun-friendly lawyer in your given state, and ask him what the best way to do it pertaining to your local and state laws would be. :)

protias

all of these depending on state law and the state you live in can be tricky. i cant find this thread either but i know that here in maine, a few people have been charged with concealing for loading while in the car, while a few officers have taken a crack at "brandishing" for loading, chambering and holstering outside of a vehicle. what i would advise is to contact a gun-friendly lawyer in your given state, and ask him what the best way to do it pertaining to your local and state laws would be. :)

Well, since this is the Wisconsin subforum... ;)

You can have your unloaded handgun in its case on your seat, or if you want to go an extra step, your trunk. Step out of the vehicle, grab your case, put the case on the ground, load up, then place handgun in its holster. If you want someone to carry with, check out this thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77014-Adopt-a-first-timer

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

MKEgal

Welcome aboard.

Here's the info from the link/thread he mentions above:
How to load\unload in parking lot:
Exit vehicle, activate recorder, remove encased firearm from vehicle, remove firearm from case and load, place firearm in holster, replace case into vehicle (without firearm entering vehicle). Upon returning to vehicle - remove empty case from vehicle (without firearm entering vehicle), unload firearm, place unloaded firearm in case with mags etc., place encased unloaded firearm in vehicle.

Can't wait to get that updated. :D

And here's another thread newcomers should browse, with educational videos:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-for-all-Firearms-Carriers-and-LEO-Encounters

Expecially watch the first 2, titled "don't talk to cops".
They're long, & the first one (by a lawyer) is done at about warp 3.
Spend the time. Very valuable information.

Last edited:
M

McX

if anyone could find them, the links to the legendary Doug videos might help.

BROKENSPROKET

As far as 167.31 compliance, this is what I used to do.

Turn on audio recorder.
Visual check area around my vehicle.
Open the door and step out.
Grab my gun rug off the dash.
Hold it with my left hadn and Unzip it with my right hand.
Remove firearm with my right hand and toss the gun rug back onto the dach wiith my left.
Grab a full magazine from my mag holder with my left hand and insert in the firearm.
Put one in the chamber and holster it.
I can do this fairly fast.

I got away from using a hardcase because a gunrug works alot better to do the dance.

Last edited:

bmwguy11

In the New to OC in WI thread HERE or listed in my Signature, scroll down the FAQ and a description is listed there.

My apologies! I read the sticky but must have missed that part in the FAQ.

I'm going to try my first open carry today, at fleet farm in west bend. I need to go check some ammo prices, so thought I'd give it a try. Also maybe trying carrying when we go for an evening walk tonight in my neighborhood. I understand you can't currenly OC in a state park, but county or local city parks are ok right?

bmwguy11

Welcome aboard.

Here's the info from the link/thread he mentions above:

Can't wait to get that updated. :D

And here's another thread newcomers should browse, with educational videos:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-for-all-Firearms-Carriers-and-LEO-Encounters

Expecially watch the first 2, titled "don't talk to cops".
They're long, & the first one (by a lawyer) is done at about warp 3.
Spend the time. Very valuable information.

Yep I have watched many of those. Very helpful, thanks!

protias

My apologies! I read the sticky but must have missed that part in the FAQ.

I'm going to try my first open carry today, at fleet farm in west bend. I need to go check some ammo prices, so thought I'd give it a try. Also maybe trying carrying when we go for an evening walk tonight in my neighborhood. I understand you can't currenly OC in a state park, but county or local city parks are ok right?

If your town has a ban on carrying, it is unenforceable, so yes, you can carry in your town's parks.

Interceptor_Knight

If your town has a ban on carrying, it is unenforceable, so yes, you can carry in your town's parks.
You may beat the rap but you will not beat the ride. So long as it is on the books, a LEO can write a citation for it. Before November 1st there is a State Park Ban. After that you may carry with a permit. Municipalities will argue that a County/City/Town park ban is similar and no more stringent than a ban in a State Park.

hermannr

bmwguy...One thing for OC in any state.. Do not act nervous. Act like you are doing nothing more than putting on your shoes or a coat or watch.

Once you are wearing this new accessory (your weapon), do not check it any more than you would a new pair of shoes. Use your elbow if necessary to calm the flutters, another reason for a high retention holster... No, you weapon will not jump out of it's holster and fall on the floor and try to run away... (if you have a good holster).

bmwguy11

I did it no problem! Not so much as a stare. Acted like normal. Didn't even think about it after 10 minutes or so.