• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Non-Resident Permit question???

Dreamer

If I live in a state where it is impossible to get a CC permit (Maryland), but I have non-resident permits (and the appropriate training certificates) from other states that have reciprocity with VA, can I use those training certs to get a VA non-res permit?

TFred

If I live in a state where it is impossible to get a CC permit (Maryland), but I have non-resident permits (and the appropriate training certificates) from other states that have reciprocity with VA, can I use those training certs to get a VA non-res permit?
Here's the section of 18.2-308 on qualified training:

G. The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

I would argue that having another state's permit that is recognized in Virginia means that Virginia has "licensed" you to carry a concealed handgun. So training used to obtain that permit should suffice.

Now whether a local judge will see it that way is altogether up for grabs.

Perhaps you'd be better to submit the course material for the other permit and ask the judge to grant it based on option #9.

TFred

Sig229

I cant find it now.
But VA used to (still do?) allow an online training certification.
You pay,$20. Watch a video then take an online test.
Once you pass, you print out the certificate and mail it in with the VA application.

Dreamer

Actually, I think I qualify through #3 and #5. BOTH my NC and UT permit instructors were also NRA certified instructors, which qualifies #3.

And I'm a ranked USPSA member and have my qualification certificate with a Civilian Marksmanship Program group in NC, so I think that qualifies under #5.

I'll have to call them this week and see...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Actually, I think I qualify through #3 and #5. BOTH my NC and UT permit instructors were also NRA certified instructors, which qualifies #3.

And I'm a ranked USPSA member and have my qualification certificate with a Civilian Marksmanship Program group in NC, so I think that qualifies under #5.

I'll have to call them this week and see...

Any of these should work fine.

johnfenter

No judge involved...

Here's the section of 18.2-308 on qualified training:

I would argue that having another state's permit that is recognized in Virginia means that Virginia has "licensed" you to carry a concealed handgun. So training used to obtain that permit should suffice.

Now whether a local judge will see it that way is altogether up for grabs.

Perhaps you'd be better to submit the course material for the other permit and ask the judge to grant it based on option #9.

TFred

It's a non-res permit; they are handled by VSP, and local judges aren't involved. Good thing too, since some of them have reading comprehension problems...

TFred

It's a non-res permit; they are handled by VSP, and local judges aren't involved. Good thing too, since some of them have reading comprehension problems...
Oops, of course you are correct... that little "non-resident" nugget slipped right through!

You know... We ought to press for a slight change in the law: If you don't want to bother carrying a separate photo ID along with your CHP, we should allow Virginia residents to optionally choose to go through the non-resident process, to get a CHP with photo attached. Thoughts?

TFred

BillB

Just curious... if you have a non-resident permits that VA recognizes, why would you want to obtain a VA non-resident permit in addition? Is it a matter of coverage for other states?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just curious... if you have a non-resident permits that VA recognizes, why would you want to obtain a VA non-resident permit in addition? Is it a matter of coverage for other states?

If Dreamer has established residency in Maryland, his NC permit will likely be or about to be invalid and NC does not issue non-resident permits. I'm sure that he is just trying to cover all bases.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

BillB

If Dreamer has established residency in Maryland, his NC permit will likely be or about to be invalid and NC does not issue non-resident permits. I'm sure that he is just trying to cover all bases.

What bases would these be? If he has a non-resident permit from Utah (implied), then it covers just about everything a VA non-resident permit would.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

What bases would these be? If he has a non-resident permit from Utah (implied), then it covers just about everything a VA non-resident permit would.

Utah (as of 1/1/12) requires that all applicants for a Utah non-resident permit have a valid permit from their home state.
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/BCINewsletterApril2011.pdf

Have no idea when his Utah permit might expire or whether an existing Utah non-resident permit would continue to be legal when he establishes another home state w/o a permit from that state, but do see where this is simplified by acquiring a Virginia non-resident CHP.

Believe that covers all bases - Never known Dreamer to like loose ends, they tend to trip you up.

BillB

Grapeshot said:
Utah (as of 1/1/12) requires that all applicants for a Utah non-resident permit have a valid permit from their home state.
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/doc...rApril2011.pdf

Does not apply to MD. From your link:

"If a non-resident applicant is from a state that either has a formal reciprocity
agreement with Utah or recognizes the Utah concealed firearm permit, the
applicant must hold and provide proof of a current concealed firearm or concealed
weapon permit issued by the applicant’s state of residency upon application for the
Utah concealed firearm permit"

Grapeshot said:
Have no idea when his Utah permit might expire or whether an existing Utah non-resident permit would continue to be legal when he establishes another home state w/o a permit from that state, but do see where this is simplified by acquiring a Virginia non-resident CHP.

He can renew his Utah permit unless he moves to a state that has a formal reciprocity agreement with Utah or recognizes a Utah permit. If he does move into one of these states, he should then get a resident permit from that state. What does a non-resident permit from VA do for him?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I cant find it now.
But VA used to (still do?) allow an online training certification.
You pay,$20. Watch a video then take an online test.
Once you pass, you print out the certificate and mail it in with the VA application.

A terrible idea to begin with, and one that I am thrilled to hear that the NRA has divested itself from.....

TFred

Speaking of non-resident CHPs... I just ran across this today in Paragraph K of 18.2-308:

The State Police shall withhold from public disclosure permittee information submitted to the State Police for purposes of entry into the Virginia Criminal Information Network, except [blah blah blah]. However, nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit the release of (a) records by the State Police concerning permits issued to nonresidents of the Commonwealth pursuant to subsection P1, or (b) statistical summaries, abstracts, or other records containing information in an aggregate form that does not identify any individual permittees.​

I never realized that one could get a list of non-resident CHP holders from the VSP!

TFred

BillB

It adds New Mexico to the states that recognize his permits to carry concealed

Yes, and back to my original question to the OP...

BillB said: