• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in Previously Forbidden Municipalities

Richieg150

Fair Grove used to be a OC friendly place, but then passed an ordinance against it. Since SB 656 and Amendment 5 went into effect I have carried there several times with no unusual issues. Sometimes it takes longer to get your business done since some folks want to chat about guns, but other than that, smooth sailing.

Chatting with folks about guns is a good thing while carrying, if well spoken and articulate. It helps shine a good light on those OC, or can have just the opposite effect.

Oramac

Carried today at the Wal-Mart off 70 and St. Charles Rock Road. Was only there for about 10 minutes to pick up some things for lunch this week, which was the plan. Again, nothing happened.

kcgunfan

Was down at the Plaza in KC for about 3 hours this afternoon. Nothing unusual to report, even got a thumbs up from a couple cops in a cruiser.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

HYRYSC

Chatting with folks about guns is a good thing while carrying, if well spoken and articulate. It helps shine a good light on those OC, or can have just the opposite effect.

I usually just start muttering about "popping a cap!". Would that be considered well spoken and articulate?

Of course I jest. I NEVER bring up anything about firearms, carrying weapons etc to strangers, however some folks like to bring the subject up and I will converse with them if it interests me.

I may be taking it wrong, but Richieg150, it seemed that you were talking down to me a bit there?

Last edited:

Firepit1x

My post will hit a few forbidden but also allowed...OC Motorcycle

I work in Clayton and since the SB656 went into effect I have ridden from Clayton to Labadie 4 times while open carrying. (with a CCW, I'm not at liberty to test Amendment 5)
My route takes me through many muni's that have their own police department and some that simply rely on St. Louis County Police or the Franklin County Sheriff's department. By memory here are the towns/cities that I roll through quietly:

Clayton
Richmond Heights
Brentwood
Webster Groves
Crestwood
Sunset Hills
Fenton
Valley Park
Eureka
Pacific
Gray Summit
Labadie

(I'm sure I missed one or two)

I do wear a black motorcycle jacket that does blend in with my black grip on the gun, but not the silver slide, but I'm usually in khaki colored pants that are the opposite of my black holster (since work is business casual for me). So far no problems from law enforcement and no one in the public pointing at me and driving erratically to escape my presence.

My motorcycle is quiet and I don't ride like an ass hat too much. 2007 Yamaha FJR Sport Tourer. Now if I was on a Harley or other cruiser with loud pipes I could definitely see someone calling me in for a weapon once they spotted it. Perception is a funny thing. What I choose to ride or choose to wear doesn't define who I am.

Last edited:

Renegadez

Now if I was on a Harley or other cruiser with loud pipes I could definitely see someone calling me in for a weapon once they spotted it. Perception is a funny thing. What I choose to ride or choose to wear doesn't define who I am.

I guess this Theory will get tested soon enough my new Serpa holster arrives tomorrow! LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES throw in MY long hair and MY patched my vest we will see on Thursday.........

Jaysann22

I think a lot of people just assume people OCing are just off duty law enforcement.

I have had people actually tell me that on several occasions.

For example, I was grocery shopping one evening and after paying for my items, I walked out of the store and a clerk politely said "Have a nice evening officer."

So I think that may be one of the reasons many people don't freak out....

Because many people are too ignorant to know that average citizens also openly carry firearms.

So anyone open carrying a firearm in public MUST be law enforcement.... :rolleyes:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Chesterfield valley, had pizza with 2 open carriers at east coast pizza.

Not bad pizza actually.

I myself was not open carrying, it might be just me but open carry of a P3AT is not really done very effectively and a large number of people already think it is a toy when they see it.

Grabbed my 686 from safe keeping for tomorrows event, see you there.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I think a lot of people just assume people OCing are just off duty law enforcement.

I have had people actually tell me that on several occasions.

For example, I was grocery shopping one evening and after paying for my items, I walked out of the store and a clerk politely said "Have a nice evening officer."

So I think that may be one of the reasons many people don't freak out....

Because many people are too ignorant to know that average citizens also openly carry firearms.

So anyone open carrying a firearm in public MUST be law enforcement.... :rolleyes:

Certainly that is true in some cases. I cut my hair short and have been told by friends that I "look around like a cop" when I am out in public OC. And while I have only been asked once if I am LEO, my wife has been asked several times when we are out and about almost always by other women when I have stepped away. She thinks it is kinda funny. I guess the haircut + situational awareness gives that impression.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Back on topic. .. I have OC in Cape Girardeau several times now just in daily life. I have not seen any LEO while doing so and have only had reason to be at places I have patronized for years. Frankly, I don't know that anyone has noticed.

I am not inclined to do anything special about OC in Cape. Rather, as I have for years had to do something special to CC, ie drewss around the gun, I am just going about my life, wearing whatever I want for the day and then ending up OC or CC based on clothing. For example, a few days last week it was rather cool and I wore a sweater or sportscoat that naturally led to CC but on the warmer days I was in slacks and a button down shirt so OC.

So nothing interesting to report. Just non issues.

Renegadez

OC'ed in the Adams Toyota dealership yesterday while getting an oil change. Was there over an hour spoke with some sales folks service ppl parts and there was a waiting room full maybe 20 or so couples singles and kids. No one said anything i as far as I can tell no weird looks all was fine.

Oramac

Wandered around the Bridgeton Wal Mart for an hour looking for a damn fake mustache for halloween. Never found the stupid mustache, but OCing went without a hitch. I don't think anyone even noticed.

Glock 1st fan

So my question is Im an Oklahoman and I travel to Branson on the occasion. So with the new law out of state license holders can carry in Branson now openly?

Great Gazoo

So my question is Im an Oklahoman and I travel to Branson on the occasion. So with the new law out of state license holders can carry in Branson now openly?

Missouri recognizes the Concealed Weapons permits from each state so if you have one you SHOULD be good to go. I have also recently OC in Gladstone, KCMO, and NKC. I was wearing my minature camcorder attached to my shirt as was suggested in another thread. It is amazing how helpful store clerks are to the armed secret shopper.

Last edited:

Renegadez

Missouri recognizes the Concealed Weapons permits from each state so if you have one you SHOULD be good to go. I have also recently OC in Gladstone, KCMO, and NKC. I was wearing my minature camcorder attached to my shirt as was suggested in another thread. It is amazing how helpful store clerks are to the armed secret shopper.

Not to hijack the thread can you pm me info on what miniature camcorder you are using? Thanks

Oramac

Disclaimer: IANAL

Now with that out of the way, you should be fine to OC. Keeping in mind that Branson and the surrounding area are, to my knowledge, not very OC friendly. The applicable law is here. Pay special attention to Paragraph 3, Section 2.

F350

Keep in mind the owner of Silver Dollar City was one of the biggest contributors to defeat the 1998 concealed carry voter referendum; as were Hallmark Cards, St Loo Cardinals, KC Royals & Schnucks grocery, non of which receaved a red cent from me there after.