• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Morrissey to do jail time

TFred

Looks like Joe's shenanigans have finally caught up with him. Unfortunately, it appears that he will only be locked up at night, leaving him to do his damage during the General Assembly session.

TFred

Morrissey enters plea, sentenced to 12 months with 6 suspended

Del. Joseph D. Morrissey, D-Henrico, entered an Alford plea Friday to a misdemeanor count of contributing to the delinquency of a minor and was sentenced to 12 months in jail with six suspended but will be allowed to participate in a work-release program and could be free after three months.​

davidmcbeth

Banned
He will be allowed to engage in a work-release program under which he would continue to work as a legislator and lawyer while spending nights in the jail, said his attorney, Anthony Troy.

So lawyers can be rapists? Go figure..the legal system protecting a lawyer. Who would have thunk it?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Fighting Joe got a "sweetheart" deal..........literally! :uhoh:

The court gives him every benefit, the legislative rules too.

The voters return him to office, though I cannot imgine why. He is an embarrassment, a bad joke, and deserves only our scorn.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Fighting Joe got a "sweetheart" deal..........literally! :uhoh:

The court gives him every benefit, the legislative rules too.

The voters return him to office, though I cannot imgine why. He is an embarrassment, a bad joke, and deserves only our scorn.

I may ask him about ethics in the General Assembly Grape....If he would just quit running off whenever he sees one of us. :lol:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just go to every committee hearing that allows public testimony and say "I wonder what Mr. Child Molester over there thinks?"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I may ask him about ethics in the General Assembly Grape....If he would just quit running off whenever he sees one of us. :lol:
That presumes Joe knows something about the subject

running.gif
Sooner or later (hopefully sooner) he is going to trip up trying to run away from his shenanigans.

TFred

That presumes Joe knows something about the subject

running.gif
Sooner or later (hopefully sooner) he is going to trip up trying to run away from his shenanigans.
If he keeps up this type of shenanigans, sooner or later, he's going to come across a father that doesn't have as much restraint as this one apparently did... and then he's going to have some real trouble!!

TFred

From later in the same original article:

The relationship with the 17-year-old, who turned 18 this past March, came to public attention on Aug. 20, 2013, when Henrico police converged on Morrissey's home near Virginia Center Commons.

The teenager's father had come to the home furious that his daughter was with Morrissey and had called police. Morrissey and the young woman were found together, but there has been no physical evidence that they were sexually involved at the time.

Neely, though, would release information after the indictments saying that Morrissey had sex with the young woman in his law office Aug. 20 and subsequently sent out text messages to friends confirming a "sexual encounter."​

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If he keeps up this type of shenanigans, sooner or later, he's going to come across a father that doesn't have as much restraint as this one apparently did... and then he's going to have some real trouble!!

TFred

From later in the same original article:
The relationship with the 17-year-old, who turned 18 this past March, came to public attention on Aug. 20, 2013, when Henrico police converged on Morrissey's home near Virginia Center Commons.

The teenager's father had come to the home furious that his daughter was with Morrissey and had called police. Morrissey and the young woman were found together, but there has been no physical evidence that they were sexually involved at the time.

Neely, though, would release information after the indictments saying that Morrissey had sex with the young woman in his law office Aug. 20 and subsequently sent out text messages to friends confirming a "sexual encounter."
New T-shirt for Joe?

..ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ
Send me your picture!

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My favorite picture of Joe glaring at me :lol:

And Philip looking thoughtful.......:lol:

morr.jpg

OH I've got a hot date, in the old office....Tonight.

morr2.jpg

Go fer your gun Partner!

morr3.jpg

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A while back I wrote this story about Morrissey being a danger to society. Looks like I was right but he's still allowed to practice law which is a sacred position that should only be held by the trustworthy of men, and represent the public in our legislature. A new low for both professions.

Delegate Morrissey, a dangerous person

Editorial
As reported here, Gun Owners in Virginia went to Richmond City Council, to ask that the mayor resign from an anti gun origination.
Philip Van Cleeve, President of VCDL

As a result, The Richmond Free Press reported on Councils concerns. Further, Delegate Joe Morrissey wrote the RFP a letter expressing concerns about law abiding gunowners…carrying guns.
I find this odd coming from someone that has such a violent, uncontrollable temper that as Richmond Commonwealths Attorney, he assaulted a fellow lawyer in the courtroom. Not just a push, an all out attack worthy of the best street thug.
That is not the only case of Mr. Morrissey attacking someone.
Wycoff filed this lawsuit seeking compensatory and punitive damages after Morrissey

savagely beat Wycoff and then attempted to fabricate an alternative account and cover-up his

actions. Record at 000046-000052.

On July 3, 1999, Morrissey, an attorney and former Commonwealth Attorney, Tr. 412-413 stated to Wycoff, I m going to kill you. I m going to beat your head in, Tr at 17Accordingly, Morrissey attacked Wycoff, beating Wycoff s face and head with his fists, wearinga heavy ring. Tr. 61,178,184. Although Wycoff informed Morrissey, I do not want to fightyou, Tr. 179, Morrissey continued to attack Wycoff. When Wycoff attempted to stop theonslaught of blows to his face by hugging Morrissey, Tr. 52-53, Morrissey knocked him down to-3-the ground, continued to savagely beat Wycoff in the face. Tr. at 184, 185. When Wycoffattempted to crawl away from Morrissey, by turning over from his back to his hands and knees,Morrissey continued to beat Wycoff in the face and head with his fists, Tr. 53, 476, and grabbedWycoff s head by the hair and smashed his head into the corner of a brick wall. Tr. 185-186,After the attack and subsequent sanctions, Mr. Morrissey left the country for a time. One can only guess that it was to let the public have time to forget his actions. It must have worked.Joe Morrissey has come to VCDL meetings in a vain attempt to gain support.

The simple fact is that Morrissey is a dangerous flake. To listen to him spew law and order is akin to hearing temperance and fairness from a white supremacy leader.
He has no business in the legislature and his very existence there, is a sad reminder that few good people are willing to run for office. All that’s left in cases like this, is the trash like our esteemed Joe Morrissey.
Considering Mr. Morrissey’s history, it’s not unrealistic to expect him to again, attack one of his peers, this time in the General Assembly. Hopefully, there will be Police Officers near enough to prevent serious injury or worse.

Here’s the record that Mr. Morrissey established for himself while an elected official and in the years since and on which he is not running:
1) Two wrongful convictions (that we know of) in four years as Commonwealth’s Attorney costing each man 10 years of his life and state taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars in claims paid to the wrongfully convicted men: Troy Hopkins, claims bill for $229,419 cash plus $10,000 in free college tuition, http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?061+sum+SB609; and Jeffrey Cox, claims bill for $350,000 cash and $400,000 annuity, http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?021+sum+SB267. Compare this to Robert Horan’s 4 decades without any wrongful convictions.
2) License to practice law in Virginia revoked on April 25, 2003, http://www.vsb.org/disciplinary_orders/morrissey_opinion.html
The Bar submitted a summary of Respondent’s previous record regarding professional disciplinary matters which includes, three matters which were dismissed with terms, one private reprimand, one public reprimand, one six-month suspension, a three-year suspension (the underlying matter), and his disbarment by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. The Bar requested that the Board revoke the license of Respondent, arguing that the circumstances of this case and his prior record demonstrate a lack of the necessary respect for his profession and merits the complete revocation of his license.
3) Disbarred from practicing before the federal courts in 2001 following 16 incidents of disciplinary problems that Morrissey had had with the courts, both state and federal, commencing in March, 1986 and continuing through the decision of the district court to recommend disbarment in August 15, 2000. The precipitating incident involved a violation of his probation in a federal criminal action in which he was convicted of a federal violation and sentenced to 90 days in jail and 3 years of probation. He lied to his probation officer about community service and tried to get a Habit for Humanity official to lie for him about it as well, by offering free legal services in exchange for falsifying his community service hours.
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=4th&navby=case&no=021105P
4) On December 28, 1999, a three-judge Virginia court suspended his license to practice law in Virginia for three years, which was affirmed by the Virginia Supreme Court inMorrissey v. Virginia State Bar, 538 S.E.2d 677 (Va. 2000).On December 28, 1999, a three-judge Virginia court suspended his license to practice law in Virginia for three years, which was affirmed by the Virginia Supreme Court in Morrissey v. Virginia State Bar, 538 S.E.2d 677 (Va. 2000):
Applying these principles, we hold that the court did not abuse its discretion by suspending Morrissey’s license for a term of three years. The evidence, which we will not repeat, clearly establishes that Morrissey has exhibited a pattern of disrespect for the judiciary, the rules of practice, and the laws of this Commonwealth. He has repeatedly been sanctioned because of his misconduct, as exemplified by the number of contempt of court sanctions that he has received. He has often exhibited disrespect for the authority of the courts in which he has appeared.
Contrary to Morrissey’s assertions, he did not merely “aggressively” assert the rights of his clients. Rather, the record demonstrates that he has repeatedly acted in flagrant disregard of the ethics and standards necessary to maintain public confidence in the legal profession. A suspension of three years is appropriate to protect the public and deter others from committing similar misconduct.
We find no merit in Morrissey’s contention that his prior record “is so remote in terms of time, place, and circumstances that it does not reflect upon Morrissey’s current fitness to practice law.” Our independent review of the record in this case indicates that during his career, Morrissey has exhibited a pattern of misconduct and a lack of respect for the dignity, civility, and integrity of the legal profession.
5) 1993 six-month suspension from the practice of law by a three-judge Virginia court for his handling, as Commonwealth’s Attorney, of a guilty plea in a rape case, upheld by the Virginia Supreme Court in Morrissey v. Virginia State Bar, 448 S.E.2d 615,617 (Va. 1994). Here’s how the VA Supreme Court described it in the opinon affirming the 3 year suspension of his license in 2000:
“In 1993, a three-judge court suspended Morrissey’s law license for six months because of misconduct which constituted “dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation” in violation of former Disciplinary Rule 1-102(A)(4). Morrissey, while serving as Commonwealth’s Attorney for the City of Richmond, arranged a plea bargain in a rape prosecution. Under the terms of the plea agreement, a felony rape charge against a criminal defendant was reduced to a misdemeanor, and the defendant’s father paid $25,000 to the victim and $25,000 to charities designated by Morrissey. At a hearing before the Circuit Court of the City of Richmond, when the court accepted the plea agreement, Morrissey directed the defendant’s attorney not to tell the court about the part of the plea agreement relating to the defendant’s father’s contributions to charities of Morrissey’s choice. Morrissey also concealed this portion of the agreement from the victim, who had indicated to Morrissey that she wanted more than $25,000 as an “accord and satisfaction.”
On appeal, this Court affirmed the order of suspension. Morrissey v. Virginia State Bar, 248 Va. 334, 343-44, 448 S.E.2d 615, 620 (1994). We stated that “Morrissey’s carefully orchestrated scheme was designed to secure something of value to Morrissey — the possibility that members of the donee charities would express their gratitude in the form of political support in the forthcoming election” and that his conduct violated former Disciplinary Rule 8-101(A)(3).“
6) 2005, fired from his job teaching prosecutors in Australia because he failed to disclose his disbarment and license revocation:http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/secret-legal-tip-punch-the-defence/2005/08/24/1124562924779.html
[h=2]And now Joe Morrissey makes law and criticizes others for their attempt to protect their families …from violent criminals. Ironic, isn’t it
[/h]

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A while back I wrote this story about Morrissey being a danger to society. Looks like I was right but he's still allowed to practice law which is a sacred position that should only be held by the trustworthy of men, and represent the public in our legislature. A new low for both professions.

Delegate Morrissey, a dangerous person

--snipped--

And now Joe Morrissey makes law and criticizes others for their attempt to protect their families …from violent criminals. Ironic, isn’t i
Those are just the more publicly known trangressions. Willing to bet that there are other skeletons in the closet with his missing guns.

It is a real shame that tarring & feathering has gone out of style.

va_tazdad

"Fighting Joe", also known as Idiot Joe Jr., will be spending his nights with his constituents in jail. This will be a big boom for his business as he can hold meetings in his cell and form closer "relationships" with his clients that are innocent, just like him.

Maybe his clients can help him find a couple more machine-guns to lose like when he was CA. As much time as this fool has spent in jail for contempt he should feel right at home.

Nothing but the best to represent Henrico !!!

Enjoy your time with your fellow criminals Joe. You deserve it.

scouser

It is a real shame that tarring & feathering has gone out of style.

fashions seem, like history, to have a habit of repeating. It just needs someone to start plucking a few chickens to start a trend once more

"Fighting Joe", also known as Idiot Joe Jr., will be spending his nights with his constituents in jail. ... Nothing but the best to represent Henrico !!!

Enjoy your time with your fellow criminals Joe. You deserve it.

according to the link in the OP it seems his attorney requested the time be served in the Richmond City Jail

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
fashions seem, like history, to have a habit of repeating. It just needs someone to start plucking a few chickens to start a trend once more

according to the link in the OP it seems his attorney requested the time be served in the Richmond City Jail

The not so funny part is Joe is free to renew his relationship with his former employee - she's over 18 yo now.

Will he regale the local population with his exploits? As I remember things though, inmates don't tolerate those that they see as child molesters well. Wonder if Joe will have to sleep with one eye open?

va_tazdad

The not so funny part is Joe is free to renew his relationship with his former employee - she's over 18 yo now.

Will he regale the local population with his exploits? As I remember things though, inmates don't tolerate those that they see as child molesters well. Wonder if Joe will have to sleep with one eye open?

Let's hope so. A little "Jailhouse justice" would be fine with me. I bet her dad will not complain if his fellow inmates get "up close and personal" too.

;>)