• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iowa Q's

hogeaterf6

Going thru the State on the way to SD in Aug on my MC from Ind. Any places that I cant/shouldnt carry? Also about the vehicle carry, is a MC considered a 'vehicle' or any other MC/gun laws I need to know? I'll have my vest on so some of the holster will stick out. Sticking to a north route of travel. I-80 and up thru Cedar Rapids to US 20 to Ft Dodge then over to Storm Lake for the night. Carried last year but it was in the saddle bag except when we stopped for the night.

Swamp Fox

If you have a valid permit to carry weapons issued by ANY state (you do not have to be a resident of that state), it is now honored by Iowa. Your defensive weapon (it can be a knife or a long gun, as well as a handgun, but no "offensive weapons") does NOT have to be concealed, though I recommend it. There is very little experience here with open carry other than in hunting areas.

If you have a PCW then manner of carry in your vehicle (a motorcycle in this case) is immaterial. If, however, you DON'T have a permit, the gun will have to be transported unloaded, in a closed and fastened case (does not have to be locked) that is too large to be concealed on your person - or in a separate compartment (trunk) not accessible by an occupant.

Iowa has no special "no guns" zones. Just stay off school property (felony) and out of the buildings in the Capitol Complex in Des Moines. Also, federally prohibited zones, such as the Post Office, Federal Buildings and facilities and the Corps of Engineers federal reservoirs (Saylorville, Rathbun and Red Rock. (The locks and dams on the Mississippi too, I believe.) Some local governments have recently passed local resolutions or ordinances "banning" weapons on some or all of their property, but these local rules are illegal and void under the state preemption clause of state law. That doesn't mean you couldn't get hassled, but chances are slim. "No Guns" signs at businesses have no force of law in Iowa, though you could be charged with trespass if you don't leave when asked.

I believe this information to be accurate. Check Iowa Code Section 724 or www.handgunlaw.us for more details.

Mlutz

Your defensive weapon (it can be a knife or a long gun, as well as a handgun, but no "offensive weapons") does NOT have to be concealed, though I recommend it. There is very little experience here with open carry other than in hunting areas. QUOTE]

Well, Looks like I need a new OC holster for my firearm. The Iowaians need to see OC. Could you get me a link for stop and identify statutes? :)

JD

Well, Looks like I need a new OC holster for my firearm. The Iowaians need to see OC. Could you get me a link for stop and identify statutes? :)

There is no requirement to notify an officer that you are carrying unless asked:

IA Department of Public Safety FAQ

QUESTION: If I am stopped by a law enforcement officer in Iowa, am I required to declare that I am carrying a loaded firearm?
ANSWER: No, but it is really good idea. Iowa law does not require such a declaration; however, as a safety measure for both the permit holder and the officer, making such a declaration voluntarily is recommended and encouraged.
If you want to notify them, that's on you. I don't buy that "making such a declaration voluntarily is recommended and encouraged" statement, that may be what DPS would like to believe, but you never now how the officer will react.

Or did you mean something along the lines of being stopped for OC'ing and asked for ID?

Last edited:

Mlutz

The last one. :-D Wisconsin doesn't "allow" an officer to id you just because you are oc'ing. Although a few have tried...

JD

The last one. :-D Wisconsin doesn't "allow" an officer to id you just because you are oc'ing. Although a few have tried...

If you are OCing in town limits you can be asked for your permit as it (a carry permit) is required in order to OC in "incorporated" limits, they will probably also ask for your ID pending on what type of permit you are using, especially if it is a permit that does not have a photo.

724.4 Carrying weapons.
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who goes armed with a dangerous weapon concealed on or about the person, or who, within the limits of any city, goes armed with a pistol or revolver, or any loaded firearm of any kind, whether concealed or not, or who knowingly carries or transports in a vehicle a pistol or revolver, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.

4. Subsections 1 through 3 do not apply to any of the following:
A person who has in the person's possession and who displays to a peace officer on demand a valid permit to carry weapons
which has been issued to the person, and whose conduct is within the limits of that permit. A person shall not be convicted of a violation of this section if the person produces at the person's trial a permit to carry weapons which was valid at the time of the alleged offense and which would have brought the person's conduct within this exception if the permit had been produced at the time of the alleged offense.

Last edited: