• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

insane patriotards get butthurt over mechanic using imperial flag to fix machinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

state hater

Banned
I personally prefer the state not have laws implying their symbols are connected to god or religion.
Desecration means damaging something holy. Holy meaning connected to god or religion.
There are many things I may think are ugly that still should not bring the State's wrath.

The ruling class wants gullible idiots to worship them. It's their source of power.

solus

while not punishable based on Supreme Court decision, there are federal codes, 4 U.S. Code Chapter 1, which dictates the proper handling of the article that represents the country: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/chapter-1

section 8 (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

it would appear the employee \might have a performance attitude based on the last sentence of the article.

ipe

solus

Then I'll let you explain how "I personally preferred the time when the penalty was more severe." [in the context of flag-burning] is compatible with private property rights.

as was pointed out the shop foreman was not the owner of the flag.

ipse

WalkingWolf

as was pointed out the shop foreman was not the owner of the flag.

ipse
Apparently the flag was left in the shop, and no city policy exists on disposal. Without clear policy to violate, hurting feelings is not a constitutional excuse for violating his employment. The city was at fault for not setting up proper disposal instructions for him to follow in the first place.

If they wanted the flag disposed of the proper people would have been the one of the veterans organizations or the scouts. Which if I remember correctly proper disposal is burning.

This guy did not do this to make a public statement, he had no intention of anyone being offended. It was another employee that made light of it, and I have no doubt there is city policy on disseminating sensitive information to the public. At least it was so when I was a public employee and that was many moons ago.

state hater

Banned
I hope that he sues the living **** out of the city and that he rakes in a huge pile of the idiots' tax money.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Apparently the flag was left in the shop, and no city policy exists on disposal. Without clear policy to violate, hurting feelings is not a constitutional excuse for violating his employment. The city was at fault for not setting up proper disposal instructions for him to follow in the first place.

If they wanted the flag disposed of the proper people would have been the one of the veterans organizations or the scouts. Which if I remember correctly proper disposal is burning.

This guy did not do this to make a public statement, he had no intention of anyone being offended. It was another employee that made light of it, and I have no doubt there is city policy on disseminating sensitive information to the public. At least it was so when I was a public employee and that was many moons ago.

Should have just burned it ... rats!

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Interesting debate every time.

Objecting using the freedom to object to another's use of the freedom to object likely exposes more passion than anything else.

While this employee does not seem to be using the flag as a symbol to object, many within the discussions seem to be identifying with it.

Using it for a drop cloth? Nah, no way I would have done it, nor is there any way I would have observed it without letting the person doing it know it was objectionable, though I would have used foul language in describing them during the discussion.

As far as what if anything should be done goes, if they fire him so be it, if they had done nothing so be it as IMHO it is their opinion that counts not mine.

I WOULD like to see it be against the law disrespect it. I am not saying anyone has to salute or pledge, stand or look at it in any way. I am simply saying the very fact that it stands for the people whom fight for the very freedom to burn it is the very reason one should not do so upon the soil stained with the blood of those whom fought for it.

Want to do whatever you want with it, kindly step off the soil it represents and proceed as you see fit.

WalkingWolf

Behaviors where the state and symbols of the state become more important then the people, and state induced hyper patriotism at the cost of others is FASCIST, IMO.

I don't like what the guy did, but any type of punishment for a non victim crime based on patriotism to the state is fascist.

This is the same reaction to our flag that Jews received for being Jews. If you don't fall into a state modeled morality you are to be punished.

If people are unable to see the dangers of this, they cannot see the dangers of federalism and militarization. We have become worse than the Tories ever could have been.

ETA This guy was stupid more than anything, if stupid is a crime, better hire a lawyer, he will not be alone...

Last edited:

state hater

Banned
Behaviors where the state and symbols of the state become more important then the people, and state induced hyper patriotism at the cost of others is FASCIST, IMO.

I don't like what the guy did, but any type of punishment for a non victim crime based on patriotism to the state is fascist.

This is the same reaction to our flag that Jews received for being Jews. If you don't fall into a state modeled morality you are to be punished.

If people are unable to see the dangers of this, they cannot see the dangers of federalism and militarization. We have become worse than the Tories ever could have been.

ETA This guy was stupid more than anything, if stupid is a crime, better hire a lawyer, he will not be alone...

You agree that it's fascist to punish someone for desecrating symbols of the state, but you try to placate the lynch mob by saying you don't like what the guy did and calling him stupid?

Either you think what he did is of no consequence or you don't think that.

state hater

Banned
Interesting debate every time.

Objecting using the freedom to object to another's use of the freedom to object likely exposes more passion than anything else.

While this employee does not seem to be using the flag as a symbol to object, many within the discussions seem to be identifying with it.

Using it for a drop cloth? Nah, no way I would have done it, nor is there any way I would have observed it without letting the person doing it know it was objectionable, though I would have used foul language in describing them during the discussion.

As far as what if anything should be done goes, if they fire him so be it, if they had done nothing so be it as IMHO it is their opinion that counts not mine.

I WOULD like to see it be against the law disrespect it. I am not saying anyone has to salute or pledge, stand or look at it in any way. I am simply saying the very fact that it stands for the people whom fight for the very freedom to burn it is the very reason one should not do so upon the soil stained with the blood of those whom fought for it.

Want to do whatever you want with it, kindly step off the soil it represents and proceed as you see fit.

"This is such a free, wonderful country, and that flag represents that, so you better not show disrespect to that flag, or else I'll get the state to do violence to you! 'Murricuh! It's so free! Love it or leave it!"

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

papa bear

good post WOLF, i would also have to say there are a lot of good posts here

just be cause something is shaped into a emblem. doesn't make it sacrosanct. we shouldn't feel the same way that radicals believe in a drawing of Mohammed. does it bother me that this guy did this, yes. but it is also not that important. i have attended lots of flag retirement ceremonies, and this one should have been carried out. but it is no problem with what happened. it makes no different from people making clothes of the flag

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I volunteered to risk dying for his right to do that. I am not really happy about what he did. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat if it meant literally protecting his right to do that.

But then I'm not really happy about how the majority of folks voted in the last election. And again in a heartbeat I'd volunteer to risk dying for their right to vote like infernal idiots.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

You agree that it's fascist to punish someone for desecrating symbols of the state, but you try to placate the lynch mob by saying you don't like what the guy did and calling him stupid?

Either you think what he did is of no consequence or you don't think that.

I don't have to like a person, or like an action to know that persecution for the act that harms no one is wrong. I hate those tiny bug like cars, but I have no problem with others owning them. I personally hate Brussels sprouts but if that is your pleasure go for it. If you only support behavior you agree with and find appealing you are no better than those who blindly follow the herd.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I volunteered to risk dying for his right to do that. I am not really happy about what he did. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat if it meant literally protecting his right to do that.

But then I'm not really happy about how the majority of folks voted in the last election. And again in a heartbeat I'd volunteer to risk dying for their right to vote like infernal idiots.

stay safe.
Agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.