• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave US Bank in Sumner (while OC'ing)

movingviolation

'bout an hour ago I walked into Sumner branch to cash my paycheck
teller noticed the gun, didn't say anything at first, asked for id and the thumbprint (I don't have an account there) and then says ok, i'll be right back and walked into a back office
out she comes with the manager and managers says: are you a police officer?
me: no
mgr: you cant be in a financial institution and have a firearm on you unless you are a police officer
me: state constitution says that i can carry in any place that is accessible to general public except schools and gov't buildings . . .
mgr: we've looked it up on internet - you can't carry in a bank
me: i'm sorry, but you should have signs at the front door saying that firearms are not allowed if you don't want them inside
mgr: i will make that suggestion to the upper management but for now i'm gonna ask you to step out and wait outside, we will bring the money out to you
me: ok
so i walk out and wait in the car, thinking oh crap, i bet they are gonna call the cops. both the teller and the manager came out a few minutes later and handed me the money and my id and off i went

that is weird, i've been to auburn branch OC'ing a few times, been to BofA and nobody ever said anything
is there anyone at the upper level that i can write to to find out what is up with them?

JoeSparky

Centurion
So, they somehow felt the need to have you OUT of the building because you were armed YET they are willing to take the risk of going outside with a fair amount of cash to a guy that they know to be armed, sitting in a car, and OUT OF SECURITY CAMERA view (at least the INSIDE cameras).
Did you ask them the specific law they referenced that let them know you were in violation of the law?
And they said?

Just stupid!
Not you, THEM!

Last edited:

kenzmad

This sounds like a good teaching opportunity. Send out a letter to corporate explaing what happened. A quick phone call or letter to the manage might help. I am not sure what US Bank policy is but if he is wrong, someone will let him know.

kenzmad

amlevin

In SOME States the Mgr. is correct. Washington, however, is not one of those.

There's no information more dangerous than Mis-Information.

The Mgr if Full of Crap so that gives you an indication that that bank isn't one to have an account in.

At least the Morons at the one (and only) Bank I do business with understand that you can carry in Washington.

Maybe it was your "non-customer" (no account) status that made them antsy.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
<snip> she comes with the manager and managers says: are you a police officer?
mgr: you cant be in a financial institution and have a firearm on you unless you are a police officer

This statement is patently false. AND the bank manager knows it is false.

Private armed guards transfer money to and from banks each and every day and they are not police officers.

Deleted_User

While at my branch ...

I was visiting my US Bank branch that I've frequented for over 9 years. I was OC and filling out paperwork. After about 20 minutes she looks at me and her eyes BUGGED out.

"Cover that up!"
"I've been carrying open since I arrived."
"You're scaring my customers"

I didn't cover up, being as I was carrying sterile and doing so would be illegal. Nothing else was said about it but this is the first time. Is US Bank starting a new policy?

I wanted to add my experience. This happened this week!

phoneguy

Jim will jump in Soon. He can show you a picture of him in US Bank OC in front of the teller.
He can also supply you of that bank managers name cause he is pro OC

1911er

I talked to a customer service from us bank today and they told me its" just general knowledge that you don,t carry a gun into a bank, it would cause panic" I asked him if it was corporate policy and he said i,m sure it is I then asked him to send me a copy of the policy and he hmmmd and hawed and told me I would have to email corporate headquarters so I am a waiting their reply. Will post it when and if I get it.

kenshin

movingviolation

i come to that bank not very often, i usually go to Auburn branch
i dont think me being non-customer had a whole lot to do with it, they get $5 per each cashed check (i had 2 of those) if i had an account that would be free
i dont think i was doing anything to spook them, i kept my hands on the counter in teller's view all the time etc.
now that i remember i believe i OC'ed in that branch once back in the early fall last year and they didnt say anything and i'm sure they noticed it 'cause it was a full size 1911 in a OWB kydex holster, it was sticking out quite a bit
I'd like to get to the bottom of it (their corp. policy that is)
who can i write?

movingviolation

oh, and i dont have a bank account anywhere, i cash&carry ;)
after having a chance to pay off all the debt of credit cards and car loan i closed everything down, been doing ok with just cashing my checks and keeping the money in my pocket
i love it - i never spend more than i have . . . literally :banana:

Badger Johnson

Though it might be policy in the Manager's mind, I seriously doubt corporate would have him delivery money to a guy in a car in the parking lot.

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be nice to call ahead and say 'I have a gun I will be open carrying. If you prefer you can bring me my money out to the car in the parking lot...no, I don't have an account there', LOL.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
or.................

turn to the manager and point to the customer wearing the vest, sweater, untucked shirt, purse, etc......

"One in 20 adults in Washington have a concealed firearm, are you going to do their banking in the parking lot too?"

on a side note: Are you younger? What were you wearing? Did your firearm/holster contrast with your clothing? Do you have piercings/tattoos that are visible?

amlevin

movingviolation said:
they get $5 per each cashed check (i had 2 of those)

been doing ok with just cashing my checks and keeping the money in my pocket

Except for the fact that you don't have a ten dollar bill to spend cause you spent it cashing the checks. Get the account and then cut up the debit card and free checks they give you. That way you can cash the check and then have the $5 per checkcashed for a beer or Starbucks coffee.

Last edited:

movingviolation

turn to the manager and point to the customer wearing the vest, sweater, untucked shirt, purse, etc......

"One in 20 adults in Washington have a concealed firearm, are you going to do their banking in the parking lot too?"

on a side note: Are you younger? What were you wearing? Did your firearm/holster contrast with your clothing? Do you have piercings/tattoos that are visible?
i'm 34
well, i usually shave my head and let it grow to about 1/4 inch and repeat
i wear glasses sometimes (today i did)
i was wearing blue jeans, black t-shirt that said END THE FED (ya'll can give me hell for this)
black leather owb holster and SS Kimber Pro Carry with black grips, kydex double mag holder on the left side with SS magazines in it, wallet, checks and cell phone in (left)hand, that is it

Last edited:

movingviolation

Except for the fact that you don't have a ten dollar bill to spend cause you spent it cashing the checks. Get the account and then cut up the debit card and free checks they give you. That way you can cash the check and then have the $5 per checkcashed for a beer or Starbucks coffee.
i know i loose money this way, i cash checks like this every week
just while going trough divorse ex tried to garnish my bank account and i barely made it before she did, somehow bank got the letter of intent way after i did, hehehe
i just dont trust them, i'd rather pay a little bit

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
'bout an hour ago I walked into Sumner branch to cash my paycheck
teller noticed the gun, didn't say anything at first, asked for id and the thumbprint (I don't have an account there) and then says ok, i'll be right back and walked into a back office
out she comes with the manager and managers says: are you a police officer?
me: state constitution says that i can carry in any place that is accessible to general public except schools and gov't buildings . . .
mgr: we've looked it up on internet - you can't carry in a bank
me: i'm sorry, but you should have signs at the front door saying that firearms are not allowed if you don't want them inside
mgr: i will make that suggestion to the upper management but for now i'm gonna ask you to step out and wait outside, we will bring the money out to you
me: ok
so i walk out and wait in the car, thinking oh crap, i bet they are gonna call the cops. both the teller and the manager came out a few minutes later and handed me the money and my id and off i went

that is weird, i've been to auburn branch OC'ing a few times, been to BofA and nobody ever said anything
is there anyone at the upper level that i can write to to find out what is up with them?

Well, you are both wrong, it is legal to carry in a bank as provided for in RCW 9.41.300 and not as you suggest, the Washington State Constitution Article 1 Section 24 which only restricts our legislatures, not citizens from restriction firearms.

Art 1 Sec 24 The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

RCW 9.41.290 State Preemption provides for the State to regulate the entire field of firearms regulation and with that RCW 9.41.300 restricts possession in certain places, banks not being one of them but as a Store Manager or Representative can restrict possession, like it or not.

Writing to cooperate by all means but get your ducks in order first as to outlining what laws that are really in play here.

All we can say from this experience is that this is one place that restrict firearms carry and well lack an informed position on the subject.