• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

(CATA) Gunman Arrested After Deadly Shooting - Lansing

lil_freak_66

that shooting was literally within sight of and less than 100 yards from downtown cadl.

and wasnt there just a murder last month 3 blocks away, and that liqour store 100 yards south gets robbed at least once a month it seems...not to mention the occupy/homeless camp is 25 yards away, across the street in the park

yeah real safe area...

Denny

Wait, what? A shooting at Cata? Thats impossible. I mean they have security there..and and and signs on all of their buses that say "No Weapons". You mean somone ignored their no firearms policy and brought a gun on their property? And then actually shot somebody? I refuse to believe that.
/sarcasm off
My heart goes out to the victim and his family and I hope they catch the scum bag shooter. A couple of years ago I was in contact with Cata's management and their legal council about their Firearms policies. Venator also contacted them at the same time at my request. It was spurred by my seeing a "no weapons" sign on one of their buses while getting shuttled to a football game. Since they are a public entity I didn't think this was legal due to preemption. To make a long story short, they said you could conceal with a cpl but no open carry on their property, whether you had a cpl or not. When I asked them to change their signs to reflect this they refused. Then their lawyers contacted me and said that no firearms would be allowed because they didn't fall under preemption because they were a "transportation Authority". So basically the same arguement as CADL used. Then they refused to answer any questions from me at all, and it seemed to me that their stance became "sue us and we will let the court decide". Instead of this incident opening their eyes, I'm sure it will make them even more Anti-gun. They can't protect you, and they don't want you to protect yourself either.

TheQ

Once CADL is decided in MOC's favor, I'll be dropping off a copy of the COA opinion to CATA the next day.

I wonder if the shooter had a CPL? I thought the law prevented someone from concealing a firearm otherwise?!

Denny

Once CADL is decided in MOC's favor, I'll be dropping off a copy of the COA opinion to CATA the next day.

I wonder if the shooter had a CPL? I thought the law prevented someone from concealing a firearm otherwise?!

Let me know when and I'll go with you. We can also send it to their council.
Dan W. Chandler
Chandler Bujold & Chandler, PLC
2855 Coolidge Hwy., Suite 109
Troy, MI 48084

Yeah, I'm sure he had a CPL and a legally registered firearm....Riiiiiiight

Last edited:

detroit_fan

Did something develop that makes you think CADL will lose or is that just wishful thinking? I only ask because everyone was so confident that CADL would lose this first time, and they didn't.

HKcarrier

Did something develop that makes you think CADL will lose or is that just wishful thinking? I only ask because everyone was so confident that CADL would lose this first time, and they didn't.

Yeah, I pretty much remember a lot of people saying it could be a toss up....

I also wonder what Gary Bender's user name on here is... ;)

Last edited:

TheQ

So do you think the odds of a judgement in our favor is more likely this time?

Appeals court are inherently more ground in reason and they have to be consistent. Unlike -- say Circuit Court judges who can apply the law one way in one case and then apply it differently in other cases.

...but we don't know any circuit court judges like that.

lil_freak_66

You would be wrong because the law stops you from carrying concealed w/o a permit ;)

technically you cant open carry here without a "permit" either, exception to LG and black powder replicas, which i highly doubt were not used.

the purchase/registration permit could be thought of as a "open carry permit" since the handgun must be registered.

:D

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Lansing is as Lansing does! Need I say more?

Apparently there are a lot of fights at Cata. Some guy has a whole youtube page full of video of them.Apparently the guy who got shot is fighting in one of the videos. It is my understanding that the police and media have been notified of these.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Youngskoodo

There is one thing in common with the people in these videos & the officials that run Lansing, its mass transit and its Library system. STUPIDITY! They should solve the fighting problem in their usual way - plaster signs everywhere that say no fighting {with pictographs ...as many of those folks may be illiterate}. Yep that will solve it. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MT3CihStFQ

HKcarrier

There is one thing in common with the people in these videos & the officials that run Lansing, its mass transit and its Library system. STUPIDITY! They should solve the fighting problem in their usual way - plaster signs everywhere that say no fighting {with pictographs ...as many of those folks may be illiterate}. Yep that will solve it. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MT3CihStFQ

The first video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cewHkPI5bI&feature=g-vrec&context=G28285dfRVAAAAAAAAAQ

The dudes don't even stop fighting when 4-5 "security guards" come out... the one guy says "you LPD? how 'bout I call LPD on YOU".. lol.. I didn't watch any of the other fights... but honestly, a 1v1 fight that more resembles a boxing match or competition isn't anything much... it's the 5v1 curb stompings that I have a problem with...

lil_freak_66

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20111224/NEWS01/112240316/1002/NEWS01

also states there was a beating in the area that same day, beatings(im assuming it was a homeless man) are not uncommon in that area

only reason this one made the news is because it was the same day as a shooting, listening to the scanner you will hear of at least 2 a week

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Police say two men kicked a 53-year-old man severely and then fled the scene. It was not known if the shooting and beating were related."[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]for those of you that dont know the area, here is a satellite photo with some things added to tell you whats in the area and where things are.

real safe area with all the assaults, robberies, drunk people, public drug use and mentally questionable homeless people(i know not all are unstable, but several in the area are)

also, the Michigan State Police headquarters building is across the street(to the E.) from CATA, the Lansing police Headquarters is 3 blocks north from CADL, i personally think its rather clear that even with all the law enforcement around, its an unsafe area

[/FONT]​
d0fb634f.jpg