• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Howdy! I'm done lurking.

Freedom First

Howdy forum, I've been visiting (lurking) for over a year now and I'm convinced. I've found lots of useful info and advice here. Honestly, I would have told you that OC was illegal before I ran across opencarry.org. Glad to know the truth.
I'm planning on OCing this weekend but I can't figure out the holster and coat thing... Anybody have a solution other than CPL?
The plan: Christmas lights and Griggs! Or maybe the other way around...

devildoc5

depending on the type of holster some people find it easy to just tuck the jacket behind the firearm/holster combination.

Or you could be like me and get a "neo-nazi skinhead" thigh rig and NEVER have to worry about if you are OCing or not...

shad0wfax

Howdy forum, I've been visiting (lurking) for over a year now and I'm convinced. I've found lots of useful info and advice here. Honestly, I would have told you that OC was illegal before I ran across opencarry.org. Glad to know the truth.
I'm planning on OCing this weekend but I can't figure out the holster and coat thing... Anybody have a solution other than CPL?

Welcome to the forums. Try "the Virginia tuck" where you just wear your holster and firearm normally and tuck the loose end of your coat between your body and the firearm.

And remember, no loaded firearms in vehicles without a cpl

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Or you could be like me and get a "neo-nazi skinhead" thigh rig and NEVER have to worry about if you are OCing or not...

I think I seen you at the BBQ, your rig didn't look like something a neo-nazi skinhead would wear LOL.

Welcome. I really hope that you enjoy your stay. You didn't have to lurk for so long, but people lurk until they are comfortable or have concluded that they generally agree with the right to OC.

cbpeck

I run into this all the time and I've yet to find a practical solution. Freezing for the OC cause isn't practical, IMO. Here's the best I've come up with:

I just CC when I'm wearing my coat to/from the car and then remove my jacket in an area where nobody will be alarmed, i.e. just inside a store's front door. I usually have my strong side facing a wall or display so that my gun isn't immediately visible as the coat comes off. Then the coat goes in the cart or baby stoller and I OC from there until I put my coat back on at the door. I'm 99% sure that what I'm doing is perfectly legal, but if someone disagrees please let me know. It isn't my desire to go around disregarding the law.

Yes, I OC while pushing a stroller.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Welcome!

I agree... I wear long sleeve shirts and sweaters but when it is wet or cold enough to have my jacket on, I simply CC. If I get out at a store, say Best Buy, then the jacket comes off and I am then OC until I go back outside again.

cbpeck

BTW, I OCed at Griggs to buy Christmas lights over the weekend. They're very OC friendly! So is one of their biggest competitors, Ranch & Home. Its nice having choices. :D

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Do yourself a favor and get your CPL as accidentally revealing a concealed weapon is no big issue with it, going from open to accidentally covering up to concealed can be if not in possession of a CPL and besides other benefits come with it as well.

cbpeck

Do yourself a favor and get your CPL as accidentally revealing a concealed weapon is no big issue with it, going from open to accidentally covering up to concealed can be if not in possession of a CPL and besides other benefits come with it as well.

Yea, I agree with that. If you don't already have one, you should probably get one. You never know when having the option to legally CC will come in handy.

amzbrady

You are able to get your CPL, arent you?

I think I seen you at the BBQ, your rig didn't look like something a neo-nazi skinhead would wear LOL.

Welcome. I really hope that you enjoy your stay. You didn't have to lurk for so long, but people lurk until they are comfortable or have concluded that they generally agree with the right to OC.

Yeah huh. +1 reminded me more of a military rig, or swat team rig than a neo nazi rig. I would think Neo Nazi's carry gang waistband style.

Freedom First

Got printed today. The evidence lady at KPD was very nice and commented on the vast number of CPLs issued in the last couple of years. I should have it in 2-3 weeks. Until then I will just get cold...

Re: Oc and kids. It the main reason why I am starting to OC. Wife and four kids.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

FMCDH

Welcome to the forum!

My advise would be, don't force it.

If wearing 1, 2 or 3 layers forced between you and your gun feels uncomfortable, then don't. When you have the choice, OC and CC as is comfortable and as it feels natural in the given situation.

For now, I understand you don't have the choice, so dress smartly with layers that wont get in the way if you need to draw, and wont cover your firearm accidentally.

For MUST OC situations (such as no CPL), I suggest you zipper/button whatever layers you wear in the front, then adjust the zipper/buttons in the front up or down as needed to vent body heat, but keep the very bottom of each layer fastened to keep the "wings" of your layers from inadvertently covering the pistol.

Otherwise, train, train, train on the draw with whatever layers you normally wear, in whatever configuration you wear them in.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each style, so take time to learn them, and know when it may be to your advantage to switch from one style to the next.

Cheers & Carry On!

devildoc5

That is sarcasm directed at certain previous posts that refer to people who wear thigh rigs as "attention seeking neo-nazi skinheads who are trying to provoke an encounter with LEO's" Just using other peoples words against them...

Beretta92FSLady

That is sarcasm directed at certain previous posts that refer to people who wear thigh rigs as "attention seeking neo-nazi skinheads who are trying to provoke an encounter with LEO's" Just using other peoples words against them...

I know you are being sarcastic. If you had your rig hanging off a chain, well:uhoh:

xxx.jakk.xxx

Sarcasm on a forum?!? Shocking behavior! Actually during this winter I have considered getting one so I could stay warm and OC.

It's a good way to go, but you have to make sure to get a good one. I decided to go cheap and buy a $25 one from a local gun store. As soon as I got home, the retention snap broke, so no more retention. It's very bulky and sits way too low for my comfort. I am probably going to have to buy one of the Blackhawk SERPA thigh rigs or use my webbing and make one of my SERPAs into a thigh rig... again...

Also, welcome to the forum. =]

Batousaii

Welcome!

Glad you came aboard. I too usually OC summer/Warm/Dry, or when i go inside and take my coat off. Like Cbpeck said, I usually take my coat off in an isle or in a manner that provides me a moment of privacy. Summer time I often use my neo-cowzi old school drop loop and SA-Six gun as i enjoy the rustic feel of it and can handle my own rather well with it. - During the semi cold/partly rainy, i 1/2 and 1/2 commonly. With my CPL I can simply do what fits my needs or moods and not worry about the in betweens. A comment i liked on an older thread ... "simply, I carry" ... the clothing and coverage is inconsequential.

Welcome to OCDO :)

Bat

devildoc5

It's a good way to go, but you have to make sure to get a good one. I decided to go cheap and buy a $25 one from a local gun store. As soon as I got home, the retention snap broke, so no more retention. It's very bulky and sits way too low for my comfort. I am probably going to have to buy one of the Blackhawk SERPA thigh rigs or use my webbing and make one of my SERPAs into a thigh rig... again...

Also, welcome to the forum. =]

I have the "neo-nazi" version of the Blackhawk! Serpa. It is EXTREMELY comfortable and easy to draw. The other benefit is that, unlike most other thigh rigs which only have one, it has two attachment points on the belt. This allows it to be set up in a "y" configuration that allows all pockets to still be accessible and also helps to spread the load out more evenly so it doesn't drag your waist into the ground like some other thigh rigs tend to do.

I just got the Blackhawk! thigh platform so that I can use whichever holster on the thigh rig and just switch them out depending on my desires. It is something like 60 bucks at Quantico Tactical and can probably be found for a LOT cheaper on cheaperthandirt or ebay....

Last edited:

devildoc5

Glad you came aboard. I too usually OC summer/Warm/Dry, or when i go inside and take my coat off. Like Cbpeck said, I usually take my coat off in an isle or in a manner that provides me a moment of privacy. Summer time I often use my neo-cowzi old school drop loop and SA-Six gun as i enjoy the rustic feel of it and can handle my own rather well with it. - During the semi cold/partly rainy, i 1/2 and 1/2 commonly. With my CPL I can simply do what fits my needs or moods and not worry about the in betweens. A comment i liked on an older thread ... "simply, I carry" ... the clothing and coverage is inconsequential.

Welcome to OCDO :)

Bat

LOFRIGGINL!

Now all we need to do is get you a cowboy hat that has some Nordic runes on it right?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

.45ACPaddy

LOFRIGGINL!

Now all we need to do is get you a cowboy hat that has some Nordic runes on it right?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

LOL Nordic runes! That reminds me of an old online RPG I used to play called Runescape. In that game, EVERYONE goes around with their weapon in their hand! :shocker:Now THAT'S what I call open carry!

I've tried out devildoc's thigh rig, and it's extremely comfortable, especially with the semi-elastic leg straps. Feels very natural to draw from, and if you were to get a Blackhawk! quick disconnect kit, you could switch between thigh rig and paddle/belt attachment in 10 seconds. The kit comes with one male and two female adapters, or the other way around. Either way whichever kind you have one of you put on your Blackhawk! serpa holster, and the other two you put on whatever platforms (i.e. belt attachment, paddle attachment, chest rig, thigh rig, etc.) you wish to use. Then you have one holster and multiple options for how you want to carry. Personally, I'm hoping I get a thigh rig and QD kit for Christmas so I can use the thigh rig for OC and swap to the paddle attachment or belt attachment for CC. I do a bit of both and switch between the two quite often, and for now I'm stuck with the paddle attachment. If I wanna OC I have to tuck my jacket behind the gun, and for CC I just throw it over.

With the thigh rig, the two points where it attaches to your belt are actually detachable from the end, so I could keep the belt attachments on my belt 24/7 and use them whenever I wear the thigh rig. Just clip in to the belt and clip the leg straps when I go to the thigh rig. When I take off the thigh rig, I could just put on the paddle attachment which just slips over the belt. Combined with the quick disconnect kit, I'd just disconnect the holster from the thigh rig and snap it onto the paddle attachment. Switched and ready in under a minute!

I'd much rather switch between the two platforms than tuck my jacket behind my gun because I find it WAY faster and more comfortable to draw from the thigh rig, and if it's crappy weather I can still wear whatever jacket without having to CC. It's worth taking a minute to switch between the two, and it's easy enough that it makes no difference to me. If I get the above mentioned stuff for Christmas I'll make a video and post a link.

Last edited: