• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where is the VCDL 2011 Legislative Agenda? We need to watch for it and rate it.

Thundar

I am very interested in what VCDL proposes and supports this year.

Hopefullythis year it will be oriented more toward firearms freedom, away from perks for permittees (P4P) and far away from enhancing the Concealed Carry Instruction Industry (C2I2)!

I will track VCDLs agenda of support and strong support,compaing their support to the 3 orientations above. That will give us an objective gun rights freedom rating for VCDL.

It wouldl be interesting to compare their rating to other pro 2A groups such as the Libertarians or the Tea Party.

Last edited:

TFred

Until someone comes up with a solution to the illegal actions that will take place in the Senate's "special" sub-committee, there is no point to having any agenda at all. Anything the anti-gun Senate leadership does not like will simply be sent to this sub-committee, where it will be illegally killed.

Noone has yet publicly offered any hope for a solution to this problem. I hope something is going on behind the scenes.

TFred

wylde007

How can the AG's office reconcile the policies from this web page with so-called 'Parking Lot Carry' that VCDL wanted last Session? Sample Policy 3 is written for private businesses.
Some items of interest in there.

However, I suspect that those samples may be provided as a "service" to corporations wherein they provide language which ensures the present law is upheld without superseding any non-prohibited act.

If the law was to change, the suggested language, template or sample may also change. Presently the law allows for employers to prohibit carry in private vehicles on their property. The samples match language in order with the laws as written.

Repeater

Some items of interest in there.

However, I suspect that those samples may be provided as a "service" to corporations wherein they provide language which ensures the present law is upheld without superseding any non-prohibited act.

If the law was to change, the suggested language, template or sample may also change. Presently the law allows for employers to prohibit carry in private vehicles on their property. The samples match language in order with the laws as written.

Problem is, there is a lot of propaganda out there.

From the U.S. DOJ, I found this:

Firearms and Workplace Violence

[size=+1]Why employers should take steps to prevent gun violence in the workplace[/size]

Employers-whether for profit corporations or non-profit organizations-have bottom lines and are concerned with boosting productivity and minimizing losses. Initiatives to prevent and address violence serve the employer's organizational goals because safe employees are productive employees and because the majority of employers do not wish to see harm come to their workers. In addition, Employers have a duty to safeguard their workers from foreseeable dangers. Depending upon the particular facts of an incident and the size of the workplace, an employer could be seen as having a responsibility to mitigate the threat of firearms related violence under the general duty clause of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970. Employers could also face liability for damages arising out of the employer's failure to address and assuage foreseeable danger in the workplace.

Easy for the 'experts' to blame instruments of crime.

TFred

Problem is, there is a lot of propaganda out there.

From the U.S. DOJ, I found this:

Firearms and Workplace Violence

Easy for the 'experts' to blame instruments of crime.
Why are elements of our own government trying to bully the people into denying the rights that are guaranteed in the 2nd Amendment?

There should be a law against the government ever trying to do this!

TFred

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
I am very interested in what VCDL proposes and supports this year.

Hopefullythis year it will be oriented more toward firearms freedom, away from perks for permittees (P4P) and far away from enhancing the Concealed Carry Instruction Industry (C2I2)!

I will track VCDLs agenda of support and strong support,compaing their support to the 3 orientations above. That will give us an objective gun rights freedom rating for VCDL.

It wouldl be interesting to compare their rating to other pro 2A groups such as the Libertarians or the Tea Party.

It's easy for people to sit back and critique the actions of others, it's not so easy to actually secure a sponsor, co-sponsor or even a supporter for a bill. I'd suggest that if you're interested in finding out more about the legislative agenda of VCDL, what you could do is call or email Phillip, who I am sure would be more than happy to discuss plans for the upcoming session.

Now, I'm not trying to be critical but comparing the relatively young Tea Party and the Libertarians to VCDL is just not even in the same league, and is perplexing. While the Libertarian Party does somewhat support the right to keep and bear arms, what exactly have they accomplished on behalf of the citizens RKBA?

How about the Tea Party?

I would rhetorically ask the same question about VCDL, but I don't think OCDO would appreciate the wanton slaying of that many electrons. Of all of the grassroots groups in existence across the country supporting RKBA, VCDL is at the minimum in the top 3 most successful overall and IMO there is NO other group that could have led the NPS self defense ban repeal effort. None.

That said, kudos to you for coming up with some very catchy acronyms. First off, the permit system wasn't VCDL's creation, it existed long before VCDL. While I agree that I would like the legislative and administrative incursions into my RKBA rolled back, we also want to win some legislative fights. The laws encroaching our freedoms weren't erected in a day and we won't magically change the nature of RKBA laws in a single session.

Secondly, there is more than just an ideal that goes into the legislative process, from inception through passage or defeat we have to be concerned with how much support we can muster and yes some bills are introduced that have almost no chance of passage but they're critical to either starting the discussion, keeping the discussion moving / building support for the issue to its ultimate passage. OTOH, we really cannot afford to be tossing bills into the hopper that won't pass, won't get much support from constituents, and may sap resources from VCDL which we may need for bills that have better chances of passage that will advance the RKBA.

Finally, though you did indicate what you didn't want to see, what suggestions would you have to offer by way of bills to be introduced?

Maybe if you posted a poll with your top 5 suggestions?

no mo p4p ! ;-)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That said, kudos to you for coming up with some very catchy acronyms. First off, the permit system wasn't VCDL's creation, it existed long before VCDL. )

If you insist in imitating Master Doug, at least get your facts straight.
I came up with P4P and thank you! It is catchy, isn't it.

Last edited:

Mr. Y

"If you insist in imitating Master Doug, at least get your facts straight."

Since I am not in compliance with part one of the sentence above, I need not address the 2nd part.

"I came up with P4P and thank you! It is catchy, isn't it."

It sounds like a software product rushed to market having a lot of bugs. Otherwise though, it's ok.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
"If you insist in imitating Master Doug, at least get your facts straight."

Since I am not in compliance with part one of the sentence above, I need not address the 2nd part.

"I came up with P4P and thank you! It is catchy, isn't it."

It sounds like a software product rushed to market having a lot of bugs. Otherwise though, it's ok.

Thank you Doug!:lol:

BTW, I heard you were dead. Glad they were wrong. Master Doug's rants are amusing:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Mr. Y

This has been amusing, but to drag this back on topic I think it best that if the concern is significant enough to generate catchy acronyms to name the legislative efforts sponsored or supported by VCDL, again you (generally) should contact leadership and express the opinions.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This has been amusing, but to drag this back on topic I think it best that if the concern is significant enough to generate catchy acronyms to name the legislative efforts sponsored or supported by VCDL, again you (generally) should contact leadership and express the opinions.

Party Pooper..but you're right.

Thundar, Philip hit the high points of the agenda at the last meeting. He did say it wasn't ready to be made public yet. That's been a month or so though and they (The PAC, not Philip) should have a battle plan ready.

At the last briefing, there wasn't any P4P planned. That may have changed.

Probably the bet way to get answers is to email Philip.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Party Pooper..but you're right.

Thundar, Philip hit the high points of the agenda at the last meeting. He did say it wasn't ready to be made public yet. That's been a month or so though and they (The PAC, not Philip) should have a battle plan ready.

At the last briefing, there wasn't any P4P planned. That may have changed.

Probably the bet way to get answers is to email Philip.

You probably still won't have an answer. You probably won't get it until a couple of days before the GA opens, at best.

There's a reason.

NOTE: My opinion only; this is not a VCDL-approved response.

Any activist organization needs to put out a consistent message. Philip and the Board have been soliciting our opinions constantly. There comes a point at which they have to prioritize, suggest wording, and find legislators to carry the bills. If VCDL is unable to find a legislator to carry a high-priority item, it tends to get put off. No matter how badly we may want something, the time to make it our #1 with no support is NOT at the beginning of the legislative session. Nor should the organization advertise "We want X but can't have it so we're going with A, B, and C." The agenda has to match up with what can be accomplished during a given time frame.

The time for working on the other items - the ones no one will step up to carry - is during the election season, not during the legislative season. That's when we must find people who agree with us on priorities, get them elected, and get coalitions formed so the bills can realistically be presented and passed.

The way VCDL continues to be successful is by understanding there's a time and place for things.

While none of us may find our #1 priorities addressed, we have to understand that sometimes the foundation is necessary first. If you can find a legislator to carry your #1 priority to the GA, please, do so. Just don't do it in VCDL's name; only one person is authorized to speak for the organization. That's another way to keep the organization focused and successful. You may believe you speak on behalf of thousands of gun owners, and it would be wise to convince your bill-carrier of that, but don't misrepresent yourself.