• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC in Belmar area

blcfalcon1

I bought a Fobus Tactical Holster for my Full size .40 Px4 with tac light and laser. I been combing these forums for tips and advice for weeks to build confidence. It's the first day of Spring Break so I decided to finally OC. Invited a friend to tag along and seeing his surprise when he saw my sidearm hanging off me. Went to Noodles & Co near Belmar for lunch and it was packed. Walked in casually and just talked with my friend while we queued in line. I got the uneasy glances I expected heheh. Then the cashier took our orders, glancing as well. Since it was packed, we decided to sit outside. I had to make the extra effort to walk almost sideways since the sidearm jutted out quite a bit. After lunch, we visited the new Target across the street. Since I always leave my sidearm in the glove box, I sorta forgot it in there as we admired the cart escalator. Then we headed to Home Depot to find some replacement shower door parts. The looks came again, but just ignored most of them.

Overall, it's gonna take some time to get used to the looks but it went ok.

Kingfish

Welcome to the forum. The wife and I love your state so much. We hope to be out there for good soon.

Since I always leave my sidearm in the glove box, I sorta forgot it in there as we admired the cart escalator.
You forgot it in the glove box before going into Target? Why not just keep it in the holster?

Lokster

blcfalcon1, maybe one of these days I'll run into ya over at Belmar. Lately I've been taking the dog for a walk at Belmar Park just south of shopping area then on the way home we head over to Belmar to walk around for a bit. Last week the security guard in the white pickup was following us for a bit, but after 3 Lakewood police officers drove by w/o incident he must have figured everything was all good. I thought for sure I was going to have my first encounter with the police that day, but to my surprise none of the cars stopped. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

js5439

damn buddy you got a lot of looks,
i open carry a S&W 686 stainless with a 6" barrel and no one even seems to notice it on me.....

but i have never OC'd in belmar so, it might be a location thing

Gunslinger

I tried to leave it in the holster, but my aftermarket racing seat wouldn't allow it to fit comfortably.

Have to carry cross draw or shoulder in the Vette. Don't care to rip the leather bolsters with the butt of a gun. Both are the best way to carry in any car, so hardly a problem.

JamesB

I live not far from Belmar and find myself there quite often. The Verizon store there and the library are almost used to me carrying there. Many looks, but no words. I don't think anyone at Cold Stone has even noticed me. Home Depot I'm in about once a week, never a problem.

As with most other places, if I am comfortable they are too. But it does take a minute to be comfortable carrying when you haven't before. Now after nine years I can still remember the awkwardness of the first few times.

cscitney87

I'm an avid and experienced "Belmar" carrier. Be very wary of the posted signs in the many parking garages. The signs are posted banning Open Carry. I'll take a picture next time I'm there.

I visited the new Target, concealed, because I parked in the garage and already knew there is a habit of posting signs. Turns out I didn't see any in the garage under Target.

DEFINITELY Posted in the garage adjacent to Dick's Sporting Goods.

cscitney87

BTW I'm glad you posted this thread. I posted a similar Belmar thread last year.

Makes me glad to know more than one or two people are OCing there. Seriously I always feel alone!

Lokster

cscitney87- I remember reading your Belmar post awhile ago and have avoided the garages there since. I agree about being glad about more of us OC around there. Maybe one day it will become as normal as it should be.

bomber

I live not far from Belmar and find myself there quite often. The Verizon store there and the library are almost used to me carrying there. Many looks, but no words. I don't think anyone at Cold Stone has even noticed me. Home Depot I'm in about once a week, never a problem.

As with most other places, if I am comfortable they are too. But it does take a minute to be comfortable carrying when you haven't before. Now after nine years I can still remember the awkwardness of the first few times.

so you can carry in the Jeffco libraries? I thought that was against county law.

I may be mistaken about that. I'm pretty sure all denver county libraries are off limits to carry of any kind.

Last edited:

mahkagari

so you can carry in the Jeffco libraries? I thought that was against county law.

I may be mistaken about that. I'm pretty sure all denver county libraries are off limits to carry of any kind.

But Jeffco isn't Denver county. Unless I'm missing something.

JamesB

Well, Denver just plain lives in its own little happy world. (Kind of like Boulder, but that's another topic.)

Counties (except Denver) cannot ban outright, they are preempted by state law. However, each Library District is also its own agency. They must still follow State preemption re concealed but several have chosen to post "no weapons" or "no open carry" signs on their doors. Salida regional and the Front Range branch of Westminster Library both come to mind.

So, libraries can prohibit open carry by posting on the entrance (or by being in Denver). Not even Denver can prohibit concealed if you have a valid permit.

Yes, legal in Jeffco libraries unless posted on the door. Belmar library does not post.