• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saw something last nite on the news kiro 11pm....

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Their numbers are totally incorrect. Population count does not match census data and does not filter by age 21+.

The listed population in the article/map for my zip code has 27,942. However, according to the last census my zip code has 17,493. In addition, that included all individuals such as minors and felons. Criminals/felons aside, my zip code has a age ratio of 27.4% under 18 years of age according to the last census. Indicating the true number of individuals over the age of 18 is somewhere in the range of 12,700.

The next age break in census data is 18-24 so I could not get accurate count per 21+ however given a average count per age I estimate 843 individuals between 18 and 21.

So the true estimated amount of citizens 21+ in my zip is around 11,857.

Now if my calculations are correct and the census data is accurate a more realistic percentage of CPL's in my zipcode is actually 14.6% instead of the 6% portraiture on their map. That's 1 out of every 6.8 adults 21+ in my zip code having a CPL. This does not include people that does not have CPL's, only keep firearms in their home, etc.

If your truly interested in the numbers for your area, I would take the CPL count for your zip code and calculate it yourself with reliable numbers.

Whitney

Numbers and Demographics

Their numbers are totally incorrect. Population count does not match census data and does not filter by age 21+.

The listed population in the article/map for my zip code has 27,942. However, according to the last census my zip code has 17,493. In addition, that included all individuals such as minors and felons. Criminals/felons aside, my zip code has a age ratio of 27.4% under 18 years of age according to the last census. Indicating the true number of individuals over the age of 18 is somewhere in the range of 12,700.

The next age break in census data is 18-24 so I could not get accurate count per 21+ however given a average count per age I estimate 843 individuals between 18 and 21.

So the true estimated amount of citizens 21+ in my zip is around 11,857.

Now if my calculations are correct and the census data is accurate a more realistic percentage of CPL's in my zipcode is actually 14.6% instead of the 6% portraiture on their map. That's 1 out of every 6.8 adults 21+ in my zip code having a CPL. This does not include people that does not have CPL's, only keep firearms in their home, etc.

If your truly interested in the numbers for your area, I would take the CPL count for your zip code and calculate it yourself with reliable numbers.

If you want to see something real interesting do a FOIA request for the CPL data yourself.
Ask for all the data then sort it by gender; Male, Female, and Other.

I have not done this myself for a couple years now, however, Women seem to be applying for CPL's at a faster rate than men.
Now there is a head scratcher for the bean counters to work out.

~Whitney

hermannr

If you want to see something real interesting do a FOIA request for the CPL data yourself.
Ask for all the data then sort it by gender; Male, Female, and Other.

I have not done this myself for a couple years now, however, Women seem to be applying for CPL's at a faster rate than men.
Now there is a head scratcher for the bean counters to work out.

~Whitney

I don't think that women applying for CPL's at a higher rate is something strange. Look at the number of violent rapes, and what sex is most likely to get raped???? More women in the workplace, more women out and about, more women vulnerable and more women are realizing, they cannot rely on the system for their protection???

I have a 19 year old grand-daughter that can't wait for her 21st birthday...not so she can go partying, but so she can apply for her CPL...:)