• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's The NRA Going To Do At The December 21, 2012 News Conference?

HankT

State Researcher
It has been laying low for a week. Thinking, analyzing, strategizing . . .

Now, the NRA has to do something. Should be interesting tomorrow morning at 10:45 AM ET.

I can't figure out what the NRA is going to do. But I do know that it is a crucial part of the politics and law-making. It can make our break any deal that can be conjured up by congress/Obama.

Thankfully, we have the country's most powerful lobbying group on our side.

Without the NRA (and GOA, etc.) I would be worried . . .

NRA's Sandy Hook press conference: What can it say?

On Friday, the National Rifle Association will hold a rare news conference – a sign that the Sandy Hook massacre has put the gun-rights organization in a tough position.

. . .
No one expects the NRA to give ground on any gun-control measures under discussion, such as a new federal ban on certain assault weapons or on high-capacity ammunition magazines. But in billing the 10:45 a.m. Eastern time news conference as “major” and saying that the organization is “prepared to offer meaningful contributions” to help prevent another Newtown, the NRA has raised the stakes for its role in the public debate. . .

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2012/1220/NRA-s-Sandy-Hook-press-conference-What-can-it-say

zack991

I am pretty sure they will sell us out again just like in 1968, 1994, 2010 they tried to kill Heller on several occasions and I am just waiting for them to compromise again. I sorry to be negative but they are not known to take a firm NO stance. Their latest press release does not make me feel better.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Just got through watching the news conference, interrupted twice by Codepink.org representatives, and thought that what was said by Wayne LaPierre and Asa Hutchison made a lot of sense.

We do not need more laws and we do not need gun bans. What we do need is enhanced, armed security for our schools, enforcement of the laws we already have, and increased funding for mental health research and treatment. That increased funding could be supported by drastically reducing the foreign aid we send to countries that love our money, but despise our freedoms.

zack991

Just got through watching the news conference, interrupted twice by Codepink.org representatives, and thought that what was said by Wayne LaPierre and Asa Hutchison made a lot of sense.

We do not need more laws and we do not need gun bans. What we do need is enhanced, armed security for our schools, enforcement of the laws we already have, and increased funding for mental health research and treatment. That increased funding could be supported by drastically reducing the foreign aid we send to countries that love our money, but despise our freedoms.

They should have come out and say No gun bans will be supported. He was tip toeing through the tulips.

HankT

State Researcher

self preservation

They should have come out and say No gun bans will be supported. He was tip toeing through the tulips.

Was he tippy toe'n around the issue or playing damage control? This is the first that we have heard from the NRA in regards to this shooting, I doubt it will be the last. IMHO it would have not been a smart move for them to come out "guns blazing" today. Slow and easy. Not "fast and furious" :lol:

zack991

How did the NRA sell us out in 1994? I'm curious as to your view.

Incidentally, this link was posted over in th OK forum:
well I am not looking in debating the NRA pro and cons like it has been done countless times. I will keep this short. The NRA has and will always will be a "hunters group and a bolt action group". They will never be a all gun owners group.The NRA has a nasty history of compromising our rights time and time again with more and more excuses. In 1994 Charlton "I hate AK-47s" Heston and many of the NRA board fully supported as well as pushed for support of its members to get behind the AWB because it did not fall in with what they felt as "reasonable". Those who had similar feelings like Joaquin Jackson (who was not a member till 2001) are the reason the NRA is not fully trusted by its members. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGySNLyACE They also helped write quite a bit of the bill with anti-gun activists just like they did in 1968. I should not have to pay extra money for things they should be fighting for anyways. If they would stop sending the same mail. DVDs which I am not going to pay for or send back anyway. Also sending me a poll and then asking me to join when I already do, they would have enough money to FIGHT for ALL rights of gun owners. Wait till those hunting guns are banned then who will still belong to the NRA.

The biggest problem with the NRA is they are willing to let basis for firearms ownership be redefined as they fight what ever ban or law the come out against. our rights, as defined, not granted, by the Constitution is not amendable or scalable. It is an absolute. And, when a political group starts bargaining for its preservation by redefining its meaning or allowing it to be encroached upon in acts of compromise to ensure passage, then they become a danger. A danger meriting complete disregard. They so vehemently presort to represent gun owners that when they begin to bend to far the public opinion will sway with them. If the NRA starts saying this is OK, that is not... well you see where I am going. What has me scared is in both of their statements on Tues and today they have not come out and said we refuse any gun control bill that will effect our rights. They just nearly killed the heller case and then had the gall to later came out to claim they supported it from the start after the case was won. What really pushed me away from the NRA and I have been a member for the last 15 years, is when conservatives had the votes in congress and a republican in the white house they refused to help repeal the 1968 gun ban, if I can find the original letter I will post it. The letter was sent out to its members from the NRA in response to try and repeal the Gun Control Act of 1968. They stated that it was not in the best interests of the NRA at this time to look to repeal the Gun Control Act of 1968.

\
I heard the NRA cancelled their Facebook page. Is this true? I don't have Facebook so I don't know.

From what was released they closed their page temporary due to the shooting.

Last edited: