• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ever wonder about some inane comments made on this site?

amlevin

Whenever a discussion is going on regarding guns, gun law, people who carry guns, there often is someone who makes a comment that makes you scratch your head.

Just stumbled across this "List" today that may help understand where the person making the comment is comming from. Check the State they "claim" for residence and check the list.

http://www.top50states.com/average-iq-score.html

Look at the second half of the "list" which is ranks states by average IQ.

Is it any surprise that California is third from the bottom?

FWIW, Washington is in the Top 20. Too bad we can't harness all that intelligence and elect some worthwhile representatives to Congress. Ditto for Governor's.

Last edited:

Jon Bonavia

Banned
Thank you Mr. Levin. We all must remember that half of our correspondents are below average IQ, statistically speaking, unless there is some selection process functioning. I don't think 'computers' are beyond the capability of a severely substandard intelligence. See The Bell Curve by Herrnstein and Murray.

Ruby

Whenever a discussion is going on regarding guns, gun law, people who carry guns, there often is someone who makes a comment that makes you scratch your head.

Just stumbled across this "List" today that may help understand where the person making the comment is comming from. Check the State they "claim" for residence and check the list.

Look at the second half of the "list" which is ranks states by average IQ.

Is it any surprise that California is third from the bottom?

FWIW, Washington is in the Top 20. Too bad we can't harness all that intelligence and elect some worthwhile representatives to Congress. Ditto for Governor's.

Too much of that California sun!:) And all those illegals from down south.

wrightme

Thank you Mr. Levin. We all must remember that half of our correspondents are below average IQ, statistically speaking, unless there is some selection process functioning. I don't think 'computers' are beyond the capability of a severely substandard intelligence. See The Bell Curve by Herrnstein and Murray.
Yes, there is. It begins with a clear understanding of our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Given that, I would wager that those active OCDO members are NOT fully representative of the bell curve of which you speak. In fact, I would find it quite logical to conclude that given this clear understanding of what the wording of our Second Amendment means, that those with that understanding represent the upper 1/2 of that bell curve. But, I bet you know of at least one group that may not understand the wording of our Constitution and Second Amendment.

amlevin

WAVE Executive Director Jeri Bonavia = Jon Bonavia

http://www.wisn.com/r/19571152/detail.html

"Bonavia is fighting for legislation that requires stricter criminal background checks for gun purchasers"

Could this be one of those "head scratching" moments? How much more strict can they get? As it is, any purchase where "check" is required is just about as strict as it gets. What next? DNA samples? Letter's from parents?

Oh, wait, I get it. The Gun Show Loophole. Perhaps the gun show "loophole" might better be described as the "I don't care about the rules or who gets crapped on as a result of my actions, I'm going to just not let them bother me" loophole.

There are thousands of guns available from the black market in this country. With Straw Purchasers making a business of supplying them, and the guns that are stolen and in turn sold, the majority of guns in criminals' hands probably didn't come from Gun Shows.

Since activists can't really target criminals, because any laws passed will just be ignored, they target those legal gun owners. Wonder which side of the "bell curve" THEY live on?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
From Massachusetts...

STORY

The deaths terrorized this western Massachusetts city, where Mace permit requests soared as the women's bodies were discovered in alleys, vehicles and their own homes between 1995 and 1998.

Wow! You need a permit for Mace in Massachusetts? Talk about being at the bottom end of the intelligence statistics....

Beretta92FSLady

"IQ testing has been widely criticized as being too generalized, and NOT a valid assessment of anything too important."

That being said, the top five are liberal state:lol: According to this there seems to be a correlation between high IQ and level of firearm restriction?

The more a person thinks about it, the less palatable are no restrictions on firearms.:idea:

amlevin

"IQ testing has been widely criticized as being too generalized, and NOT a valid assessment of anything too important."

That being said, the top five are liberal state:lol: According to this there seems to be a correlation between high IQ and level of firearm restriction?

The more a person thinks about it, the less palatable are no restrictions on firearms.:idea:

Or maybe your first statement cancel's out the second.

Jeff Hayes

Oh no another inane comment, LOL

Nothing to cite. The above was a quote at the top of the page we were all linked to. I should have cited the link, sorry...if that is what you are telling me to "cite."

The top of the page says "Ever wonder about some inane comments made on this site?"

BTW just in case your are wondering

Definition for inane
- silly: irritatingly silly or time-wasting
- insubstantial: empty, insubstantial, or void

Beretta92FSLady

The top of the page says "Ever wonder about some inane comments made on this site?"

BTW just in case your are wondering

Definition for inane
- silly: irritatingly silly or time-wasting
- insubstantial: empty, insubstantial, or void

Sweet lord have mercy!

The link that the OP'r put up, go to the page, and read at the top or near the top of the page...you will find that quote you asked me to cite...not this page that we are on.:banghead:

Does this back-and-forth seem inane to you?

"The Smartest State Award

In 2006, a company called Morgan Quitno developed the Smartest State Award. Compare this list to the one below it, called McDaniel's Estimated Average IQ Score (2004). There seems to be some correlation between the smart-states list and the average-IQ-score-by-state list. However, don't take these results too seriously. IQ testing has been widely criticized as being too generalized, and NOT a valid assessment of anything too important. "

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Sweet lord have mercy!

The link that the OP'r put up, go to the page, and read at the top or near the top of the page...you will find that quote you asked me to cite...not this page that we are on.:banghead:

Does this back-and-forth seem inane to you?

"The Smartest State Award

In 2006, a company called Morgan Quitno developed the Smartest State Award. Compare this list to the one below it, called McDaniel's Estimated Average IQ Score (2004). There seems to be some correlation between the smart-states list and the average-IQ-score-by-state list. However, don't take these results too seriously. IQ testing has been widely criticized as being too generalized, and NOT a valid assessment of anything too important. "

OK I found what you quoted buried in a paragraph. Repeating that statement with out any backup for it still warrents a cite but you dont have to. My point is that is just someone's opinion there are lots of others that put great value on IQ tests. What we have here is simply an opinion that is worth as much as my opinion that cottage cheese is unfit to eat.

Stuff like this is the problem on this forum, lets get down to facts and talk about Open Carry of hand guns the rest is inane to say the least.

Beretta92FSLady

OK I found what you quoted buried in a paragraph. Repeating that statement with out any backup for it still warrents a cite but you dont have to. My point is that is just someone's opinion there are lots of others that put great value on IQ tests. What we have here is simply an opinion that is worth as much as my opinion that cottage cheese is unfit to eat.

Stuff like this is the problem on this forum, lets get down to facts and talk about Open Carry of hand guns the rest is inane to say the least.

First, this thread is more about IQ than OC. I cited it, and I think I acknowledged that I should have added the link. The quote which I provided needed no proof to back it up, I was just quoting what the author of the linked page had stated prior to offering the list of states.

Second, I like cottage cheese with pineapple chunks.

Third, I think that my response was OC/CC, firearms related. I made to statements regarding OC/CC, firearm restrictions: 1) According to this there seems to be a correlation between high IQ and level of firearm restriction (meant for this to be a superficial observation of the link provided). 2) The more a person thinks about it, the less palatable are no restrictions on firearms.:idea:

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

That's OK, I have to do this for my grandchildren all the time.

If your first statement that IQ testing doesn't mean anything then your second statement that a high IQ relates to more gun control is also meaningless.

I merely posted the quote because the author appears to either have the view or wanted to bring to attention the views of some that IQ tests are not accurate. The quote was not a statement that I made, it was a quote.

The two statements outside of the quote were what I had made (one of the statements has a question mark at the end of it, ooopsie!).

"That being said" was me establishing that the author had made a statement about IQ's, that I am aware of the comment, and so the context that I read through their finding has changed from taking the post serious to not taking it too serious.

Last edited: