• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC v. CC

marrero jeff

imported post

I certainly understand many of your feelings towards CC and OC myself as i am not old enough to get a ccp. However, isnt it advantageous to give yourself options by being able to coneal your weapon as well? If you are going to a place you know doesnt like open carry, simply throw your shirt or jacket over your weapon and no one will bother you. what's the big deal with that?

imported post

For the majority of statists who worship the very concept of government, who carry lifetime NRA (negotiate rights away) cards in their wallet, nothing, nothing at all.
For the very extreme few who fully understand what this is all about, a lot.

sraacke

imported post

Jeff,

I think you are not getting an accurate picture of the average OCer. Keep in mind that MEM is an extreme example of someone who OCs and is not able to get a CHP should he wish to. Many OCers do in fact have CHPs. I've hadCHPs going back more than 18 years, before Gov Foster signed Statewide CHPs into law.

ccwwpermits2009-1.jpg

A few, like yourself are too young to apply for a CHP and others could get one but have decided that the hoopsthey have to jump through to get one just aren't worth it to them.

There's no big deal, not much distainand I think the more you learn about Open Carry the more you will learn that things are not nearly as polarized as they seem at first.

barf

imported post

I don't think there's any disdain for concealed carry except for certain extremists who wet their adult diapers every time they hear the term.

This is an open carry forum, not one for concealed carry. There are plenty of other places to discuss concealed carry.

btw, some here quote the LA State Constitution, Article 1, Section 11 so much you think they would know it ALSO says "but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person."

Pro OC Cop

imported post

Not everyone likes to have to ask the government permission to CC. Believe it or not, I am one of those! If and when I leave law enforcement, I will probably OC instead as long as I feel that I am physically capable of protecting my handgun. Personally, I don't believe that OC is for everyone. I feel that whoever decides to open carry should practice weapon retention regularly and always pay attention to their surroundings. If you are 5' 2" and weigh 90 pounds, chances are you aren't going to be able to protect your firearm from someone my size. Therefore you should probably CC instead. This is strictly my opinion.

Summit_Ace

imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
I certainly understand many of your feelings towards CC and OC myself as i am not old enough to get a ccp. However, isnt it advantageous to give yourself options by being able to coneal your weapon as well? If you are going to a place you know doesnt like open carry, simply throw your shirt or jacket over your weapon and no one will bother you. what's the big deal with that?
The decision to OC or CC is nothing but a personal preference and there are pros and cons to both.As a permit holder in another state I personally have chosen not to obtain a CCP in this state due to the fact I do not like the "hoops" you have to jump through. There is currently a lawsuit filed with the state of Louisiana to change those regulations, hopefully it will prevail.

when it comes to OC please do not be dissuaded by Mr. Marchiafava's comments. I have had private discussions with him about his tactics and is what I call a drive by poster. Most people on this site when they make a statement they will back it up with hard facts. Try to listen to those people even if you may disagree. True discussion is a means by witch you form opinions of your own. The one thing to remember when exercising your right to OC is to respect the rights of others. Despite what others here may say a store or other private entities policy is law, to an extent. What I mean by that is, if you are in Joe's Market and they do not want you to have a gun in there, you do not have the "right" to violate there private property by being armed without their consent. If you are asked to leave think about making the decision to take your business elsewhere.

Despite what some may say, private property rights are just as powerful as your right to carry a weapon and should be respected. I know I am going on here but I belive that those of us who OC must remember this. If someone here does tell you I am full of it on this topic, and he will. Just ask him what their address is so you can go hold a pro-Obama rally on their property. My guess is they will not like that idea, they value their private property rights, as they should value others.

Badger Johnson

Why get a CCP in an open carry state?

Hi, all, first post. (I've been lurking/reading for a week)

I've got an application in for my permit in Va, an open carry state, but they're taking a long time to send it. That's understandable since I'm a retired person with 1-2 moving violations in FORTY years, last one driving through a parking lot 15 years ago to avoid a traffic light, lol, and I'm a clinical pathologist, boy scout and former choirboy. (/sarcasm). (You couldn't get much whiter than snow, unless I entered the priesthood)

If/when I get a gun, if it comes up, I'll figure I'll just tuck my shirt in/claim it was OC all the time, people just weren't observant. My partner has a CCP, being female, a grandmother and non-threatening, she got hers in 20 days.

In fact if we're in the car, and she has her CCP, can't she just say it's her gun and I'm holding it?

On another note if the required 45 day period passes and no permit, what should I do? Or having been 30 days already (we sent in ours at the same time), should I call the clerk and inquire?

TIA

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi, all, first post. (I've been lurking/reading for a week)

I've got an application in for my permit in Va, an open carry state, but they're taking a long time to send it. That's understandable since I'm a retired person with 1-2 moving violations in FORTY years, last one driving through a parking lot 15 years ago to avoid a traffic light, lol, and I'm a clinical pathologist, boy scout and former choirboy. (/sarcasm). (You couldn't get much whiter than snow, unless I entered the priesthood)

If/when I get a gun, if it comes up, I'll figure I'll just tuck my shirt in/claim it was OC all the time, people just weren't observant. My partner has a CCP, being female, a grandmother and non-threatening, she got hers in 20 days.

In fact if we're in the car, and she has her CCP, can't she just say it's her gun and I'm holding it?

On another note if the required 45 day period passes and no permit, what should I do? Or having been 30 days already (we sent in ours at the same time), should I call the clerk and inquire?

TIA

Welcome Badger -

First you posted on the Louisiana forum asking questions about Virginia law on a thread that has been dead for over 10 months.

You may OC in VA w/o a permit, presuming you are not disqualified to carry at all, and why would you want to indicate falsely whose gun it was? Trying to deceive anyone regarding your gun is extremely frowned upon and under many circumstances is a violation of law - we obey the laws.

Being female has nothing to do with the length of time it takes to get a permit. If you don't get yours within the time allotted, the clerk of courts is obligated to give you a temporary permit.

There is no such thing as a CCP in VA - it is a Concealed Handgun Permit = CHP.

Start by becoming familiar with the Code of Virginia regarding concealed handguns, there is NO substitute for personal knowledge.
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM