• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please check your legal weapons - Sentara Port Warwick Medical Center - Newport News

HardChrome

Saw this today at the Sentara Port Warwick medical center in Newport News today. I wonder how many people have actually handed over their weapons. What is a "licensed gun" in Virginia anyway, huh?

Attachments

• no legal weapons.jpg
    no legal weapons.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 332

ocholsteroc

Saw this today at the Sentara Port Warwick medical center in Newport News today. I wonder how many people have actually handed over their weapons. What is a "licensed gun" in Virginia anyway, huh?

"What is a "licensed gun" in Virginia anyway," I don't know..... Maybe for out of state people? lol

licensed gun=registered gun?

Last edited:

Walt_Kowalski

hrmp! the hospital does not want you messing with their profits. If a mad gunman were to target that location, there would be no one armed to stop his rampage, thus.. more victims for the hospital to treat...

DJEEPER

I took my girlfriend there 2 weeks ago and saw that same sign.... I was not amused.

I had the same question... What is a licensed gun in virginia? a Class III M16? a Mk1?

I was half tempted to walk in CC to avoid ruckus, but i wanted to see my GF, so i just locked it away in my vehicle....which i HATE doing

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Postcard Sent

sentara.jpg

:dude:

2a4all

My wife and I use this facility often, and I have tried to find the "Security Office", but it's accesible only from the ambulance entrance, which requires an access card to enter thru a locked door.

However, while we conduct our business, I keep an eye out for any "Security Personnel". so that I may comply with the sign.

I have never seen any.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
my wife and i use this facility often, and i have tried to find the "security office", but it's accesible only from the ambulance entrance, which requires an access card to enter thru a locked door.

However, while we conduct our business, i keep an eye out for any "security personnel". So that i may comply with the sign.

I have never seen any.

:D

Last edited:

paramedic70002

Well I happen to know a little about Sentara. Don't ask, I'm not telling.

As a private corporation, they are entitled to have their rules, for employees and property. Their security is also unarmed. Not sure if they get background checked.

I would be extremely reluctant to hand over a firearm to private unarmed security.

OTOH I think if you get caught you can count on being asked to leave first rather than having the LEOs called on you, so there is a safety margin before getting arrested.

I am glad that postcard was sent. As anal as they are about being right, they might just change that sign to one that is not incorrect. I liken them to a kinder, gentler form of Nazi Germany. All the germanic efficiency and order without that pesky racism. But there is a hint of world health care domination.

Good luck getting that policy changed.

Oh, remember a few months ago, there was a shooting (or two) in their parking lot. I wonder if all the other facilities are being posted?

2a4all

Oh, remember a few months ago, there was a shooting (or two) in their parking lot. I wonder if all the other facilities are being posted?

I believe this incident was related to a resturant/club which is across the street. The patrons use the (Sentara) parking lot. The sign in question predates this incident by at least two years.

GrayGhost

As a private corporation, they are entitled to have their rules, for employees and property. Their security is also unarmed. Not sure if they get background checked.

I would be extremely reluctant to hand over a firearm to private unarmed security.

I can see the story now.

Security Officer Shot By HandGun
Today while handling a checked handgun a local Security Officer was severely wounded. Owner has been arrested and charged with malicious wounding and reckless endangerment for leaving handgun with untrained personnel. Security Officer to seek compensation for lost wages and pain and suffering.

I don't think I'll be turning over my gun to ANYONE!

Last edited: