• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Encounter with security at DMV

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I bought a Bronco yesterday (New Hunting Vehicle) and went to the DMV on Rt 1 in Henrico. I also needed to get personalized tags for my motorcycle...BGSL (Big Guns Save Lives).

I saw the Security Officer and he rates an "Officer" title.

He was glaring at everyone and Jane was poking me in the ribs and saying "Don't start a fight", which of course I never do anyway...

I went over to him and said I thought Securiguard had that contract. He smiled and said "They lost almost all the state contracts and we (New Horizon} has DMV now.
I said, "Let me see if you all are any smarter than they were. Is open carry legal in DMV. He smiled again and said, "Yes Sir, sure is and concealed too if you have a permit" I said "You mean I need a permit to Open Carry?" .."No Sir, just to conceal".

I shook his hand and told him he'd go far in this world, we chatted a little and apparently New Horizon has made a point of informing their Officers about Open Carry. Something about a big scandal with one of Securiguards contracts.:lol:

ocholsteroc

I went over to him and said I thought Securiguard had that contract. He smiled and said "They lost almost all the state contracts and we (New Horizon} has DMV now.
I said, "Let me see if you all are any smarter than they were. Is open carry legal in DMV. He smiled again and said, "Yes Sir, sure is and concealed too if you have a permit" I said "You mean I need a permit to Open Carry?" .."No Sir, just to conceal".

:banana:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We recently had a DMV thread involving New Horizon where Security probably wasn't as well informed. That was in NOVA I think and they are a little slow there:p

Anyway....I think the State is making a point of letting the guard companies know that this is a very sensitive issue.

PeteXD

New Horizon Security Services is the crappiest security company I ever worked for. I HIGHLY doubt that they instructed any of their guards on the legality of carry in Va.

You probably encountered another 2A supporter who just happens to work for NHSS.

How they got the DMV contract is beyond me, unless J.J. (the owner when I worked there) sold the company or something...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Who cares how crappy the company is to work for. This one armed guard (I'm presuming he was armed) knew hs stuff.

If other employees at other locations do not know their stuff and create problems those situations can be addressed. Perhaps DMV will get tired of hearing complaints sooner rather than later from now on.

And Peter, where did you ever come up with the notion of hunting dog hunters from a Bronco? I always thought stands were set higher off the ground.:D

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And Peter, where did you ever come up with the notion of hunting dog hunters from a Bronco? I always thought stands were set higher off the ground.:D

stay safe.

The best way to hunt them is blend in.
I can just sit on my butt, eating beaner weiners and maybe toss an assortment of beer cans around, and they'll just mill around like I wasn't there.

I could even get out once in a while and shout soueeeeeeeeeeeeeee, soueeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

scouser

I was at Broad St DMV on Tuesday, carrying with my holster in about the 4 o'clock position, half covered by my outer tshirt, half displayed. No wide eyed looks, no comments although one of the guards did approach me while I was at the window

Guard 'Excuse me sir'
Me (wondering if she was going to say anything about the gun) 'yes'
Guard 'I was just wondering if you'd finished with that clipboard'
Me 'Oh .. yes, yes I have'
Guard (as I handed it to her) 'thank you sir'
Me 'you're welcome'

I hate that once every 5 years trip to DMV to renew my licence, but this time it went well, everyone I had to deal with there was very pleasant .. but I really hate the fact I have to go to Broad St just because none of the other offices in Richmond area have a fingerprint machine (I have a Hazmat licence, and the new 8 year renewal does not apply for Hazmat drivers, we still have to renew every 5).

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I hate that once every 5 years trip to DMV to renew my licence, but this time it went well, everyone I had to deal with there was very pleasant .. but I really hate the fact I have to go to Broad St just because none of the other offices in Richmond area have a fingerprint machine (I have a Hazmat licence, and the new 8 year renewal does not apply for Hazmat drivers, we still have to renew every 5).

I love the 8 yr. renewal. Mine is good until 2018!

Back in NJ, we had to renew yearly!

scouser

ProShooter said:

you think 8 years is good ? .. my UK licence was valid until the day before my 70th birthday .. I think they've changed to a photo ID and paper licence (in a similar way to the VA DL & CHP is a photo ID and paper licence) in the years since I left there though, but from what I understand they just have to update the photo ID every so many years

All American Nightmare

I bought a Bronco yesterday (New Hunting Vehicle) and went to the DMV on Rt 1 in Henrico. I also needed to get personalized tags for my motorcycle...BGSL (Big Guns Save Lives).

I saw the Security Officer and he rates an "Officer" title.

He was glaring at everyone and Jane was poking me in the ribs and saying "Don't start a fight", which of course I never do anyway...

I shook his hand and told him he'd go far in this world, we chatted a little and apparently New Horizon has made a point of informing their Officers about Open Carry. Something about a big scandal with one of Securiguards contracts.:lol:
My encounter went different. I had two females approach me and tell me I needed a CHP to have a gun in here. When I said no you dont I was then told "you cant have that in here" After I stopped laughing I told both of them in a nice, calm and ever so polite voice yes you can. If you dont like it call the cops. They walked away and seemed to be upset. Funny thing they would not even look at me the rest of the time I was in there and the cops never showed up. Seems like you had better luck than me Nap. Must have been the short pants:p Maybe I should hang around you more often. You seem to stay out of trouble.:uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My encounter went different. I had two females approach me and tell me I needed a CHP to have a gun in here. When I said no you dont I was then told "you cant have that in here" After I stopped laughing I told both of them in a nice, calm and ever so polite voice yes you can. If you dont like it call the cops. They walked away and seemed to be upset. Funny thing they would not even look at me the rest of the time I was in there and the cops never showed up. Seems like you had better luck than me Nap. Must have been the short pants:p Maybe I should hang around you more often. You seem to stay out of trouble.:uhoh:

Would be a good one to follow through on with a letter of complaint - educate, educate.

I know your recorder was running, right?

Marco

I need to use the services of the DMV, so I might as well stop by the semi local office (c'ville).

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
My encounter went different. I had two females approach me and tell me I needed a CHP to have a gun in here. When I said no you dont I was then told "you cant have that in here" After I stopped laughing I told both of them in a nice, calm and ever so polite voice yes you can.
And then you handed them some Open Carry cards?

riverrat10k

i bought a bronco yesterday (new hunting vehicle) and went to the dmv on rt 1 in henrico. I also needed to get personalized tags for my motorcycle...bgsl (big guns save lives).

I saw the security officer and he rates an "officer" title.

He was glaring at everyone and jane was poking me in the ribs and saying "don't start a fight", which of course i never do anyway...

I went over to him and said i thought securiguard had that contract. He smiled and said "they lost almost all the state contracts and we (new horizon} has dmv now.
(snip)

bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa!

scouser

ProShooter said:

Actually I made a mistake, just noticed it after reading the piece of paper (that they gave me to act as my licence until TSA tell them I'm no threat) again. The licence itself is valid for 8 years, it's the Hazmat background check that's only valid for 5, so I have to return and get that done again in 2016