• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walker's administration bars open carry of weapons in state buildings

HandyHamlet

The Interwebs:

Schizophrenia is a complex mental disorder that makes it difficult to:

Tell the difference between real and unreal experiences

Think logically

Have normal emotional responses,

Behave normally in social situations

This administration has some.

Teej

I don't see why not. Some places (such as MKEGal's coffee shop) prohibit CC, but are fine with OC.

As long as the restriction is posted indicating the restriction, they should be fine.

They could always quote from Hamdan as well...

¶124 Wisconsin Stat. § 941.23 is similarly constitutional when applied to the defendant because it does not eliminate the right of an owner of a privately operated business to bear arms for security or defense but simply limits the manner in which he or she may exercise the right to bear arms. That is, § 941.23 does not prevent anyone from carrying a firearm for security, defense, hunting, recreation, or other lawful purposes. Rather, it limits the manner of carrying weapons, by requiring that a weapon that is on a person or within a person's reach not be concealed.[67] The gist of the offense is the concealment. Thus, nothing about Wis. Stat. § 941.23 comes close to eviscerating, destroying, frustrating, or nullifying the right to bear arms in Wisconsin for the defendant here or any other person. The right to bear arms "is not impaired by requiring individuals to carry weapons openly."[68]

Simply reverse open / concealed.

GlockRDH

thinking...get a 8.5x11 iron on transfer sheet...print the image of my g27...iron it to the right side of my sweatshirt...so as to give the appearnce of OC..while Ill actually have the sweatshirt CC my polymer protector.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
I told you we were lied to back in May

And was repeated scolded for using such a strong word.

BUT...

We were repeatedly told they wouldn't infringe on OC, "OH NO, we'll never do it." Well, here it is! Soon WI will be a privilege CC by permit only state, mark my words. We were sold down the river. Every day that passes I become more certain a recall of Walker will succeed.

Teej

BUT...

We were repeatedly told they wouldn't infringe on OC, "OH NO, we'll never do it." Well, here it is! Soon WI will be a privilege CC by permit only state, mark my words. We were sold down the river. Every day that passes I become more certain a recall of Walker will succeed.

Any member of this forum who's happy about that has an IQ approximately equal to their caliber.

bmwguy11

They aren't going to move us to a may-issue state. There is no need to overreact to this. And a recall of walker would be the worst thing to happen to this state right now.

apjonas

BUT...

OC in government buildings was totally prohibited by statute back in May. There has been no loss of OC territory but rather modest gains. I am not sure what a "privilege CC by permit only state" is but I do know that with very narrow exceptions concealed carry requires a license now. If you desire a recall of Gov. Walker, you may want to consider what a Gov. Falk might do. It's ok to be angry, just don't be stupid. WI would have had CC eight years ago if certain "pro-gun" forces hadn't got into a snit and torpedoed Scott McCallum. CC is not engraved in stone and can be modified or removed if the right combination of political stars align.

Jason in WI

We need to have some of these made now! I was going to do it anyway but looks like I absolutely need one next time I go to the capitol :banana:.

With WI info of course.

yes-I-am-carrying-a-concealed-handgun-shirt.jpg

Last edited:

MKEgal

Peter Barca (D-Kenosha) praised the move, saying that an open carry policy could have led to allowing rifles and shotguns to be brought into the building and would have been intimidating to visitors like schoolchildren.
:banghead: :cuss:
He needs to read the law.
Only licensees may [legally] carry in a taxpayer-owned building,
and the license only allows carry of pistols, not long guns.
Why didn't the reporter mention that? :rolleyes:
And I think kids would probably either take it in stride or be interested.

Jocelyn Webster, a spokeswoman for the Department of Administration, had no comment late Wednesday on Miller's story about being allowed to carry openly in the Capitol. She said the state was availing itself of the provisions in state law allowing property owners to decide whether to allow concealed carry on their premises.
"Even before recent changes in state law, open carry was prohibited in state buildings. State buildings will maintain the policy."
:banghead:

State workers have to notify their supervisor in writing that they have a permit and intend to carry a concealed weapon before doing so.
Webster declined to say how many state employees have notified their supervisors that they will be carrying a concealed gun.
The Journal Sentinel has made a request for the information under the state's open records law.
And so it starts.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Here is the letter I sent the Governor.

I heard that you are going back on your decision to allow carrying, open and concealed, in the Capitol.

So.... the very people you are counting on to withstand the potential recall, the backbone of your support, you are going to irritate us?

Has there been an issue? Has any non frothing at the mouth anti-gunner (average folk) actually complained?

Here's a clue, the people who you are making happy will NOT vote for you, no matter WHAT you do! The people who you are making mad by doing this are the middle of the road folks who might just stay home during the recall election.

If there are isolated issues, deal with those on an individual basis, don't paint us all with a broad brush.

I hope this is just a short term brain fart. Leave the Capitol accessible to all of us.

hermannr

WA has unlicensed loaded long gun (and pistol) open carry in the Capitol building,..and has forever. It has never been a problem..right up to the gov's office door, and inside if you have an invite. School kids used to be able to carry long guns to school for show and tell...at least in the free states. Why should we shield kids from a natural right (at least that is what the US and WA constitution calls it)

Is the WI government afraid of their constituents? Criminals that would do you harm will carry into the building and could care less what the law is. Law abiding citizens will not carry into the areas that are restricted, only becasue they abide the law...so what do you think.

Protias and Paul. If you want to add this to your letter to the gov, you can tell him this is a comment from a WA resident, that has friends in WI.

Edit to add: BTW: Washington CeaseFire (equiv to your WAVE) has made it a point to attack OC here in WA, and I understand it is being orchastrated by the VPC in DC in all states that allow OC... It is an attempt to divide and conquer....you know...I don't OC so banning OC won't effect me...I don't drink so banning beer won't effect me, I don't smoke, so banning smoking won't effect me, etc etc...until they come for your favorite, then no-one is left to support you...Well, I actually do all of the above, and I'm aready alerting my representitave that this is a no-go.

Last edited:

jpm84092

On Being Tactically Smart - in the struggle against anti-gun forces.

I have no "dog in this fight", but reading the article I took notice of a point that may need consideration by members of this forum. The Wisconsin Capital has been a hotbed of political contention and the Republican Administration may be trying to prevent the anti-gun liberal camp form over-reacting to open carry and use that as an excuse to further protest. It is the old - save the schoolchildren lie and the media has made itself quite clear in that it doesn't want to be bothered by inconvenient truths when reporting on pro-gun issues.

As a previous post has pointed out, "no open carry ground was lost" and in this case, an ounce of prevention may prevent the need for a pound of cure.

On the one hand I have the deepest admiration for those who stand up for their rights. On the other, "good generalmanship" may preclude openings for Jeri and her WAVE crew to make attacks in the media. Remember my friends, that part of our goal is winning the hearts and minds of those who are sitting on the fence with respect to owning and carrying a firearm for the purpose of self-defense and the defense of loved ones. At the end of the day, the more licensed carriers we create, the more votes for legislators who pro-gun viewpoints. If there is one thing that legislators keep close tabs on it is the number of NRA members and Permit (License) holders that are in their district. Come the next election in WI, those numbers will influence legislators and WI may take yet take one more step toward Constitutional Carry with optional permit/license for those who travel or are concerned with Federal FGSZ areas.

Yellow Cat Out -

BROKENSPROKET

:banghead: :cuss:
He needs to read the law.
Only licensees may [legally] carry in a taxpayer-owned building,
and the license only allows carry of pistols, not long guns.
QUOTE]

I have read the law and so have many others. I suggest you read it better before you post mis-information with authority.

A licensee can only conceal a handgun, tazer, knife or billy club.

941.235 only states 'firearms'. As per statute, a licensee could open carry practically anything that would be considered a firearm, but they can only conceal a handgun, taxer, knife or billy club.

BROKENSPROKET

Re-reading my letter, I guess I wasn't precise enough. The subject of the email was "Banning open carry in the Capitol".

I heard that you are going back on your decision to allow carrying, open and concealed, in the Capitol.

Did you do that onpurpose, so that you would get a reply stating that CC would still be allowed or did you just not read the article?