• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public handling of firearms

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Invite them to the range, show them the firearm(s) and teach them to shoot!

Aside from that, keep it holstered.

-MH

But they are not interested in going to the range or "learning"* how to shoot.

They want to see your gun - and not just the part sticking out of the holster. They might also want to hold it/touch it, pin it around on their finger like the cowboys in the movies do. And they want to do all that in the frozen food aisle at Wal-Mart.

stay safe.

* nobody needs to "learn" how to shoot. Everybody past the age of two has seen movies and TV and knows how to do it just from that.

March Hare

They want to see your gun - and not just the part sticking out of the holster. They might also want to hold it/touch it, pin it around on their finger like the cowboys in the movies do. And they want to do all that in the frozen food aisle at Wal-Mart.

stay safe.

* nobody needs to "learn" how to shoot. Everybody past the age of two has seen movies and TV and knows how to do it just from that.

Wow, ouch.

If they wanted to see it, I -might- take it out of the holster and show it to them, depending on who they were and where we were.
I would keep control of the firearm, since it is loaded and carried with a round in the chamber.

I don't think it's rude or mean spirited to tell someone that you're not comfortable with people handling your sidearm.

If they wanted to learn more about my personal self defense sidearm, I would invite them to the range where I can instruct them in the safe handling and operation of my pistol and let them avail themselves of the other firearms in my collection.

Aside from that, it stays in the holster where it belongs, it's happy there.

Sorry, that's just the way I was raised, firearms are not toys to be passed around and played with.

-MH

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

You're kidding, right?

You're not kidding??? :banghead: :banghead:

heh.... I grew up in the UK. Guns are so dangerous and evil there even the police don't have them apart from a special firearms unit :p

stay safe.

right......you mean the way gangsters hold the gun sideways and the way you see them firing a revolver by swiping the hammer in the old cowboy and indian movies? ummm.....ok then, you have fun with that opinion :p

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...you mean the way gangsters hold the gun sideways and the way you see them firing a revolver by swiping the hammer in the old cowboy and indian movies? ummm.....ok then, you have fun with that opinion :p

Skip to 1:20 for almost proper "bird man" shooting stance.
[video=youtube;W66TPHy5lJw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W66TPHy5lJw[/video]
You'll notice the firearm was placed sideways but was not held at the correct height (above eye level, preferably above forehead level).
You'll also notice he makes a tough face and shouts at least one obscenity, both of which contribute to the amazing accuracy that followed.
Finally, you'll notice he was holding his pistol in one hand and his junk in the other, giving him faster follow-up shots and stability.
:lol::lol::lol:

To the OP: In all seriousness, DO NOT remove your sidearm in public. You risk running afoul of brandishing laws and may cause a Negligent Discharge (any and all handling/fondling of a loaded firearm increases the risk compared to not handling/fondling the same loaded firearm).

The only time I hand my 1911 off in "public" is at the "gun-tying table" to enter the gun shows, and even then I have my recorder going and don't hand it off until I've cleared it while pointing the muzzle at the little barrel provided for such purposes.

Last edited:

Lyndsy Simon

I'd look them straight in the eye, and say:

"Once drawn, a Fremen may not return his crysknife to its sheath unless its blade has tasted blood. So too shall my weapon remain secured until it is needed."

Lyndsy Simon

Wow, ouch.

If they wanted to see it, I -might- take it out of the holster and show it to them, depending on who they were and where we were.
I would keep control of the firearm, since it is loaded and carried with a round in the chamber.

I don't think it's rude or mean spirited to tell someone that you're not comfortable with people handling your sidearm.

If they wanted to learn more about my personal self defense sidearm, I would invite them to the range where I can instruct them in the safe handling and operation of my pistol and let them avail themselves of the other firearms in my collection.

Aside from that, it stays in the holster where it belongs, it's happy there.

Sorry, that's just the way I was raised, firearms are not toys to be passed around and played with.

-MH

I agree completely.

My Glock doesn't come out of its holster unless it's in my hand. It doesn't leave my hand unless it's unloaded or in a holster. I'm not comfortable with me handling it while loaded, I'm certainly not going to be comfortable handing it to someone else.

solus

im more impressed he is shooting at concrete block stacked on top of each other. wonder the idiot savant didn't get a bullet coming back towards him.

and the ammo wasted was precious...

my firearm is not pulled out of the holster to play show and tell, even at gun shows...cuz i do not participate for that reason.

ipse

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
"There are laws prohibiting the brandishing of firearms. I'm sorry, but showing you my handgun would involve violating those laws.

I don't profess knowing Virginia law. But, based on Diffendal v. Com., 382 SE 2d 24 - Va: Court of Appeals 1989, I believe your statement above is misleading. http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=761563995978814896&q=18.2-282&hl=en&as_sdt=4,47

Virginia Code § 18.2-282 contains two elements to gain a conviction. The Commonwealth must prove: "(1) pointing or brandishing a firearm, and (2) doing so in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of a victim." Kelsoe v. Commonwealth, 226 Va. 197, 198, 308 S.E.2d 104, 104 (1983).

What am I missing?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
heh.... I grew up in the UK. Guns are so dangerous and evil there even the police don't have them apart from a special firearms unit :p

right......you mean the way gangsters hold the gun sideways and the way you see them firing a revolver by swiping the hammer in the old cowboy and indian movies?...
Don't let 'em know you grew up in the UK by calling it "swiping the hammer" - it's called "fanning the hammer". ;-)

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

Don't let 'em know you grew up in the UK by calling it "swiping the hammer" - it's called "fanning the hammer". ;-)

well my ignorance just proves my point. No one in their right mind gets information from the TV. It's all either liberal propaganda in the case of news and glamorized nonsense in the case of other things such as shooting guns. In either case trying to fire like that is stupidly inaccurate and stupid to try in a self defense scenario.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
well my ignorance just proves my point. No one in their right mind gets information from the TV. It's all either liberal propaganda in the case of news and glamorized nonsense in the case of other things such as shooting guns. In either case trying to fire like that is stupidly inaccurate and stupid to try in a self defense scenario.
How dare you!!!! Attacking my beloved Fanner 50.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qXLxHi9_8

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I don't profess knowing Virginia law. But, based on Diffendal v. Com., 382 SE 2d 24 - Va: Court of Appeals 1989, I believe your statement above is misleading. http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=761563995978814896&q=18.2-282&hl=en&as_sdt=4,47

Virginia Code § 18.2-282 contains two elements to gain a conviction. The Commonwealth must prove: "(1) pointing or brandishing a firearm, and (2) doing so in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of a victim." Kelsoe v. Commonwealth, 226 Va. 197, 198, 308 S.E.2d 104, 104 (1983).

What am I missing?

This

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...oo-far-away-A-Ferry-tale&highlight=ferry+tale

and this

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...n-a-Ferry-Tale-Arrested-for-following-the-law

I was fortunate that the General District Court judge decided I was not guilty. Scouser is still waiting for the Virginia Court of Appeals to decide his fate.

The law is not just what is written in the statutes, nor is it what the last decision in case law was. What's that saying about a prosecutor (Commonwealth's Attorney her in Va) being able to indict a ham sandwich?

And it does not take much to get someone to cry out "I'm afeared!" - especially if it will advance their agenda.

stay safe.

stealthyeliminator

Some of you do not have laws against brandishing. That law here in Virginia is my fall-back for not coming across as mean-spirited and not willing to share and whatever else somebody might think of me when I tell them "No". It's also my teachable moment - we "gun nuts" both know the laws and we obey them.

What do you folks say - other than just plain "No"?

Can you turn the situation into a teachable moment? What do you try to teach the other person? How do you do it without getting all wrapped up in jargon like "administrative handling" and "booger hook"/"bang switch"?

stay safe.

That makes sense.

If we had a "brandishing" specific law, I'd probably do the same (when our handgun prohibition is finally repealed...)

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
This

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...oo-far-away-A-Ferry-tale&highlight=ferry+tale

and this

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...n-a-Ferry-Tale-Arrested-for-following-the-law

I was fortunate that the General District Court judge decided I was not guilty. Scouser is still waiting for the Virginia Court of Appeals to decide his fate.

The law is not just what is written in the statutes, nor is it what the last decision in case law was. What's that saying about a prosecutor (Commonwealth's Attorney her in Va) being able to indict a ham sandwich?

And it does not take much to get someone to cry out "I'm afeared!" - especially if it will advance their agenda.

stay safe.
That goes without saying. Your state is no different than my state. The trial courts have a mind of their own. The only chance you got to get to the law is in the appeals court. If you don't like our decision take it to the appeals court. And the judges don't care that they get overturned.

Levi

I never verbally respond to the request to draw my firearm for viewing. I just give them a look as though they suggested cannibalism for lunch. At that point they usually volunteer a reason that works for them that works like: "I guess that would be unsafe." or "It might scare someone."

On the other hand, if someone show curiosity and respect for the firearm, I'll be quick to invite them to the range.

wimwag

I've been asked a few times, but never have showed anyone.

One exception, while shoveling the impossible mountains of snow in my gazillion foot driveway last winter, I got some help from neighbors with snowblowers and made some new friends and the subject of hunting came up as an icebreaker for the real subject: the Second Amendment. So naturally, there's my new bud saying "do you carry?" Then it progressed to us comparing our firearms and the other guy is like "oh hell no I know we aren't doing this without me.". He didn't have his with him, so he felt left out.

That's the one time I've ever whipped it out. And we were on private property behind a giant mountain of ice and snow that we named Mt. Barbara Bush.

bpucillo

There are no brandishing laws in Ohio. There is no certain way you have to carry a firearm. For example, at the Cleveland police gun buyback, we were set up in front of the police to buy the guns coming in with cash, and we handled firearms (long guns and hand guns) all day. We confirmed that they were fully unloaded, checked basic functionality, and purchased. No issues at all. Be aware of muzzle control, and follow all safety guidelines. And above all, use common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFCRetired

Quite a few in the Chinese community, when they see me carrying, will ask to see my pistol. I can understand that, as most of them have never seen anyone carrying a firearm. When that happens, I explain that it would be dangerous to remove my pistol from the holster as it is loaded and ready to fire. I then invite them to either drop by my house or go with me to the range and I will then be happy to show them my pistol.

I've had several take me up on the range invite. They are usually very nervous at first, but then they get into it and turn out to be pretty good shots.

FWIW, this is what the antis want to make of us; a group of subjects who have no idea of our rights and no means to defend ourselves.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Quite of few in the Chinese community, when they see me carrying, will ask to see my pistol. I can understand that, as most of them have never seen anyone carrying a firearm. When that happens, I explain that it would be dangerous to remove my pistol from the holster as it is loaded and ready to fire. I then invite them to either drop by my house or go with me to the range and I will then be happy to show them my pistol.

I've had several take me up on the range invite. They are usually very nervous at first, but then they get into it and turn out to be pretty good shots.

FWIW, this is what the antis want to make of us; a group of subjects who have no idea of our rights and no means to defend ourselves.

+1 Awesome!