• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skolnik charged with criminal driving with suspended license

Maine CWP Training

PORTLAND — Former Portland City Councilor Dan Skolnik faces a criminal charge of driving with a suspended license after he was pulled over Wednesday afternoon on Chestnut Street.

An officer responding to an unrelated call saw Skolnik driving past his cruiser in a silver VW Beetle and recalled that his license had earlier been suspended. He confirmed Skolnik's license was still suspended and issued him a summons to appear in court June 13, police said.

The summons alleges a misdemeanor crime rather than just a civil infraction because of a previous charge of operating after suspension. Skolnik also was issued tickets for driving an unregistered, uninspected and uninsured car, police said.

READ MORE

ep0k

PORTLAND — Former Portland City Councilor Dan Skolnik faces a criminal charge of driving with a suspended license after he was pulled over Wednesday afternoon on Chestnut Street.

An officer responding to an unrelated call saw Skolnik driving past his cruiser in a silver VW Beetle and recalled that his license had earlier been suspended. He confirmed Skolnik's license was still suspended and issued him a summons to appear in court June 13, police said.

The summons alleges a misdemeanor crime rather than just a civil infraction because of a previous charge of operating after suspension. Skolnik also was issued tickets for driving an unregistered, uninspected and uninsured car, police said.

READ MORE

That is absolutely priceless.

boyscout399

READ MORE

Criminals always support gun control.

crdonov

READ MORE

got what he deserved!!!

xd-over

ep0k

It demonstrates his moral character pretty well. This man is an attorney who's already been cited once for this, hence their inclination to pursue it as a felony if I'm reading this correctly. He knew it was wrong, did it anyways, got caught.

boyscout399

It demonstrates his moral character pretty well. This man is an attorney who's already been cited once for this, hence their inclination to pursue it as a felony if I'm reading this correctly. He knew it was wrong, did it anyways, got caught.

Not a felony, a misdemeanor criminal offense vs a civil offense. Basically jail time is possible vs just a fine.

jonjon_jon

Why are politicains always in trouble with the law?

Just unbelievable those that can't stay out of trouble themselves want to run for office and tell the rest of us how to live. It's a little of topic I know, but seems though it's that way from local all the way to federal level. All we can do is keep up the fight and hope these SOB don't wear us real Americans down.

Hendu024

I'm curious to know..

What else he has on his record... Under Tina's Law which was passed some time ago, any 3 major offenses or 12 minor offenses in a 5 year time span is an automatic 3 year license revocation. So he's got 2 majors right there with the 2 OAS's. I wonder what else he's got on his record...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Why are politicians always in trouble with the law?

SNIPJust unbelievable those that can't stay out of trouble themselves want to run for office and tell the rest of us how to live.

Entirely believeable. One just needs the rest of the picture.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident..." That all men are created equal. Endowed with unalienable rights. Among these unalienable rights are life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. (Not all powers, only the "just" powers.)

Hunt up John Locke's Second Treatise on Government (1689?) on-line. Skim through it. It is the source of Jefferson's ideas from the Declaration of Independence given above. You'll even see one or two places where Jefferson wrote it practically word for word.

Then hunt up Lysander Spooner's No Treason (1870?) on-line. About 2/3's of the way into the essay you will see where Spooner makes the example that it is wrong for a man to point a gun in your face and demand money. And, the wrongness does not go away just because Mssr's A, B, and C deputize Mr. D to make the threat and demand on their behalf (election).

Thus we find government's legitimate scope is very narrow indeed. Protecting rights from criminals. Yet, we find that government that steps even a tiny bit beyond this scope becomes criminal (A, B, and C deputizing D).

And, there you have it. Criminals in government.

Add government's power and emoluments (pay and benefits from office), and you something very attractive to criminals or the criminally-minded.

[Of course, I am defining criminal much more broadly than just a rapist, robber, burglar, or fraudster. If we only define criminals that way, we miss the much larger pool of criminals (government) who exceed the legitimate purpose of government by acting as agents for Mssrs. A, B, and C.]

Thus, we get all sorts of unbelieveable contradictions:

Eric Holder not prosecuting the Black Panther voter-intimidators after the '08 election.

The Clinton State Department promoting freedom of journalism on practically the same day she is calling for Julian Assange's head.

Ben Bernanke telling us he needs to buy $600B in Treasury Bonds to break the recession and put people back to work, without telling us he necessarily means the US must go $600B further in debt, and that he is going to devalue the dollar by $600B by printing $600B more out of thin air. And, that somehow all of this is going to put people back to work when $1.2T in deficit spending, and all the bank bailouts ($700B?) in '08 and '09 didn't solve the economic crisis. Oh, since the Federal Reserve is a private banking cartel, how does criminals-in-government fit into this picture? The Treasury (government) sells those bonds to the Federal Reserve. Bonds are just loan documents promising to pay interest and principal. The government takes the loan, offering the bonds as written promises to pay. Guess who gets to pay? Right. You. In the form of taxes. Just a complex game of Mssrs A, B, and C, deputizing Mr D to point both an economic gun and a real gun in your face.

I'll stop there with examples of contradictions.

As soon as we shift the ideas about criminals and about government, suddenly it becomes not only believeable but predictable and expected.

boyscout399

What else he has on his record... Under Tina's Law which was passed some time ago, any 3 major offenses or 12 minor offenses in a 5 year time span is an automatic 3 year license revocation. So he's got 2 majors right there with the 2 OAS's. I wonder what else he's got on his record...

What does it matter if they revoke his license for 3 years. He obviously doesn't care whether he has a license or not... He'll drive anyway.

Hendu024

What does it matter if they revoke his license for 3 years. He obviously doesn't care whether he has a license or not... He'll drive anyway.

I'm just curious because if he is indeed a 3 time major offender, then the STATE, not the court, automatically, and I repeat, automatically revokes the license for 3 years. I would love to find out just how much the dirty politicians can get out of.

boyscout399

I'm just curious because if he is indeed a 3 time major offender, then the STATE, not the court, automatically, and I repeat, automatically revokes the license for 3 years. I would love to find out just how much the dirty politicians can get out of.

I'm also curious what his license was suspended for in the first place, and how long his suspension that he's currently ignoring is.

ep0k

I'm also curious what his license was suspended for in the first place, and how long his suspension that he's currently ignoring is.

From this PPH article:

http://www.pressherald.com/archive/...iving-after-suspension-charge_2010-01-11.html

It says that it was suspended in 2008 for an overdue inspection, and then he got caught sometime in 2009 driving with it still suspended. His excuse at the time was that he hadn't paid the fee to have it reinstated because he hadn't been given notice that it was suspended.

For Tina's law to apply he would need a third distinct incident to occur AFTER the suspension, so he's currently on his 2nd strike even though this one included multiple other offenses.

ep0k

Good God lets hope he doesn't. I hope you don't mean that. You don't want to wish that on anyone.

This was my point when I made the update on the MOCA website.

No one wants to see anyone hurt by Skolnik's irresponsible behavior. But the fact remains that his behavior endangers other people.

The vehicle inspection and suspended license are what really get me. We get our vehicles inspected so that we can be sure that we don't have an unsafe vehicle. It seems from the whole narrative we've put together here that he had a delinquent inspection in 2008. So his vehicle was last inspected in 2007. A lot can happen to a vehicle in 3 years.

Not to get on my high horse, but I inspect my weapon ever morning before I leave my house. I disassemble it, look for any sign of corrosion or wear, reassemble it, run it through a function check, and then assume my normal carry posture. Every day. He can't be bothered to have a professional look at a much more complex machine a single time in three years.

Last edited:

Butch00

Those of us who have researched the Constitution and Constitutional law,
understand that " We the People" have a right to travel in the United States of America.
The U.S. Supreme court has ruled many times Licenses are Commercial.
If you have a driver license you told government/corporation you were involved in a commercial activity.

boyscout399

Those of us who have researched the Constitution and Constitutional law,
understand that " We the People" have a right to travel in the United States of America.
The U.S. Supreme court has ruled many times Licenses are Commercial.
If you have a driver license you told government/corporation you were involved in a commercial activity.

The right to travel has been recognized by the supreme court. The right to operate a car has not been determined to be a right. There are many other ways to travel besides operating your own motor vehicle. Operating a motor vehicle is a privilege granted by the state and therefore has nothing to do with the Constitution (which is for the most part restrictions on federal government, not state government). Skolnik in this case has shown disregard for the state's laws and put the public in danger by driving a possibly dangerous vehicle. Also, with lack of insurance he has put the public in more danger because if the happens to get into an accident there is no viable solution to pay for the damages he causes.