• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knives-what's your carry?

j4l

Not sure if a forbidden topic like long arms, but..
Do most of you carry at least a blade as last-ditch back-up? If so what do you prefer?

For me, there;s always an Ed Halligan KISS on-hand, and usually a pocket-folder and/or a sheath knife on the belt.

.45acp

I usally carry a Severtech auto or a Chris Reeves Sebbie.

Out in the bush I'll carry a Busse, Reeves or Simionivich fixed blade.

j4l

How do you like the Busse? Has it held up as well as the Reeves?

Badger Johnson

IMO best knife to carry is an inexpensive one that can easily be replaced. I also favor a flat grind over a chisel grind. Much better for cutting stuff like cheese, bologna, opening boxes and easier to sharpen.

My current carry is a Tenacious - $30 bucks

41p%2BNfn-rAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

j4l

IMO best knife to carry is an inexpensive one that can easily be replaced. I also favor a flat grind over a chisel grind. Much better for cutting stuff like cheese, bologna, opening boxes and easier to sharpen.

My current carry is a Tenacious - $30 bucks

41p%2BNfn-rAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Happen to agree totally on that with pocket-folders, with fixed-blades I prefer a little more permanent.

Uber_Olafsun

Sharp one. Seriously I have about 5 different knives I carry. One is for work because when I have to cut a strap on a pallet I can use the seatbelt cutter built in so I don't even have to open the main blade. Usually my spyderco or benchmade works when it is something a little stronger and need to saw into it more.

Badger Johnson

It really depends (fixed blade) on what your intended use is. If you're planning on skinning game, then you don't want a tanto. If you are using it as a pry-bar or want to hammer on the back to cut larger branches, it's good to have one with a steel that's not brittle.

The only way to make an informed decision is to take several fixed blades with you camping and use them all to see what the fail point is. Obviously, a full-tang is going to be more resistant to abuse, but it may be somewhat heavier. A big blade like a Cold Steel Trailmaster is fun to play with but is might be too heavy at nearly 17 oz. I have a nice kydex sheath for mine reducing the weight somewhat. BUT, some people say that in heavy use the kraton handles are crappy. Though some people like them I'd avoid composite blades (like cold steel's San-Mai). They're a cheap way to achieve what a pattern welded or forged and folded blade gives you and aren't as effective.

In summary - field test a variety of blades. Pick the best grind and shape for your actual (not intended) use, consider the weight, field test the handle material, and be aware that a carbon steel which will rust might end up being too hard to keep oiled and sharpened. If a knife is too hard to sharpen, too brittle to bend and reform, too heavy to EDC camping then no matter the quality, it will be a PIA to hang off your belt.

Since my use is for play (FMA/Kali) I want something heavier to give me a bit of a workout, but if I was using a knife as a professional, I would spend the money on a custom ($500-1000), since I'd be depending on it for my lively hood. A smaller skinner might be all you need. For chores, get one you don't mind beating up since you can replace it. For cooking, a good flat grind folder is fine. A knife is only as good as the one you'll carry. A high end blade is liable to be kept in a drawer for fear of scratching it.

Also bear in mind that some blade configs are harder to sharpen down near the hilt because there is no choil. Since that's where you often apply cutting force it can be a problem.

Dreamer

1) The Knife of Truth
2) The Hatchet of Historical Fact
3) The Machete of Citable Sources--

I carry them with me EVERY time I log on to the internet, to defend against agent provocateurs, "cognitive infiltrators", and trolls of all sorts.

Using them makes me feel good, and reassures my fellow travelers that these nasty little beasties are, in fact, quite harmless, ineffectual, although somewhat annoying.

Unfortunately, these blades--despite the sharpness of their edges--tend to bounce off the thick, impenetrable skulls of such beasties. :banghead:

If the Metaphorical shoe fits...

Last edited:

irish52084

I carry a Kershaw Blur. I'm not a "knife guy", but the thing was given to me for buying stuff all the time at my local gun shop. Seems to be well made and has stood up to my EDC better than any of the cheaper knives I bought for myself. I also like that it has a wider and longer blade than what I was carry.

mpgnc64

I carry a Ka Bar TDI large size. Its a fixed blade but looks like a utility knife in the sheath. Great blade, very strong. If in not at work I carry a benchmade auto assist.

MR Redenck

Did yall know the Libtards in San Antonio made a ordinance against locking blade knifes?
One of the many reasons I wont spent a dime in that place, ever!

I carry a locking blade Buck in my pocket, and a Boot knife in my boot.

45acpForMe

Ahhhh knives!!!

I like knives and own a handful but like guns they are very dependent on the intended task and personal preference of the user. I usually carry one and on occassion two.

Check out nuntfancy's reviews of several different style of knives. While I don't agree with everything he likes it is good background and info. This is the one I carry every day: http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/search/33/FjfnRfyHAs4

Knife laws are something to be aware of. In VA each locality can have their own laws unlike for guns so you have to read a bit more. I worked up a analysis of the VA laws and posted it in the VA forum only to have it removed by the moderator within 10 minutes. :-(

Lightweight, thin blades are more comfortable to carry. The cold steel G10 grip is checkered a bit agressive which is good for grip but bad for wear on cloths and scraping your hand if you have to reach past it for keys etc.

I wouldn't mind carrying some fixed blades but folding ones are so convenient and easy to carry. The great thing is that they are so economical you can own several. My Christmas present to myself was this one: http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/search/36/ydUUkyReiKs

j4l

1) The Toothpick of Fail
2) The Hatchet of Conspiracy Theorism
3) The Machete of Cherry-Picked Hopes I wish would be Fact

I carry them with me EVERY time mommy lets me log on to the internet, to fantasize of wild conspiracies like One World Governments,U.F.O.s and mind-control beams

Manual Stimulation makes me feel good, and reassures me that my little parts are, in fact, quite harmless, miniscule, and somewhat annoying.

Unfortunately, these parts--despite the sharpness of their edges--tend to be hard to find without magnification to extreme levels :banghead:

If the straight-jacket fits...

...and where's my tin-foil?

Corrected for the record.

Last edited:

j4l

Did yall know the Libtards in San Antonio made a ordinance against locking blade knifes?
One of the many reasons I wont spent a dime in that place, ever!

I carry a locking blade Buck in my pocket, and a Boot knife in my boot.

Seriously? What's their reason behind that one?

jayspapa

Being I live in this great state that doesn't allow any kind of gun carry , I usually have at least 3 knives on me when away from home.

Kershaw Leek clipped to right front pocket with USA made Old Timer #330 2 blade in the right front pocket.

Kershaw Scallion clipped to left front pocket. Sometimes there will also be a Chive somewhere on my person.

When I was still able to hunt and camp all the time , I used a Puma White Hunter belt knife. It was fairly easy to sharpen and held an edge very well.

Dreamer

"jayspapa",

I can't decide if you just like knives with strange names, or if you have some sort of bizarre vegetable fetish... :D

Kerhsaw makes nice knives though, I've used some Kershaw Shun Classic and Edo kitchen knives that a friend owns, and they are some of the finest chef's utensils I've ever wielded...

Aknazer