• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should I open carry this?

TechnoWeenie

2011-07-312010_41_32.jpg

:lol:

BATFE said Angled Fore Grip is legal on a pistol, so I went for it... :D

I'm just concerned with having it slung...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I predict a thread-lock in 5...4...3...

14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

Schlepnier

14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

Except you are incorrect this is NOT a long gun. the AR pistol is in fact under the NFA classed as a "pistol" weapon and thus legal to open carry as a holsted pistol weapon.

As a matter of practicality to the OP, i own an olympic arms AR pistol as well, however i could not see the practical carry of it with a 30rd mag dues to the inconvenient erganomics, perhaps with a 5 or 10 rnd capacity it could be do-able.

amlevin

Sorry Citizen but this firearm is viewed legally as a Pistol. Therefore it is not a Long Gun. Practical??? Perhaps not. But still not one of the "Banned Discussion Items".

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Sorry Citizen but this firearm is viewed legally as a Pistol. Therefore it is not a Long Gun. Practical??? Perhaps not. But still not one of the "Banned Discussion Items".

Emphasis on the first sentence of the rule:...properly holstered handguns in daily American life...

Of course its not a long arm. But, I have a feeling its not going to sneak under the bar as a holstered gun carried in daily American life.

amlevin

Emphasis on the first sentence of the rule:...properly holstered handguns in daily American life...

Of course its not a long arm. But, I have a feeling its not going to sneak under the bar as a holstered gun carried in daily American life.

Do you know for a fact that there is not a proper holster for it? On that note, who determines what a proper holster is?

I'm sure there are those, given the challenge, that could and would carry one of these openly in a holster in their daily life. And they won't necessarily be employed as Secret Service Agents or in Executive Protection.

FWIW, it only took me approximately .5 seconds to find this:

dsc02947xg9.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkoyCgxqojI

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
While it may be legal, I agree with others who say it is not practical. While I don't know if it is a rule violation I would agree with Citizen's comment about it not being normal carry in a holster.

230therapy

I think you should not openly carry that firearm. It should be in a pack while you openly carry a standard handgun. The reason is that we're ambassadors for the right to keep and bear arms. People will believe it to be a super-ninja attack assault murder destruction killer weapon. While WE know it's not, the point is to normalize the carrying of guns in society.

But...I'm also a super-advocate of carry. If you MUST carry that gun, then ensure that the holster you carry it in retains it properly. I do suggest a Level 2 or 3 type of retention system. It MUST be secure in the holster such that it won't fall out.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

People take things WAY too seriously.

I do plan on open carrying it..

..... in the mountains..

:banana:

just_a_car

If we followed that rule "to the letter" as you're trying to push, we all might as well just sell our OWB holsters and close this site.

Open Carry is not a "daily American life" activity... we are currently a small minority, even in the gun community, so to try and poo-poo someone for their method of carry and even moreso for the type of HANDGUN that they choose to carry is a shameful way to conduct yourself here and detrimental to the open carry movement as a whole.

If we were to carry your argument further, one could argue that "saturday night specials" are unsafe due to their cheap manufacture and since they are not commonly carried by firearm enthusiasts, they're not part of "daily American life" and so we should prohibit their open carry.... Oh, wait, Sarah Brady made that same argument. Hrm... how's it feel to be on that same level, Citizen?........

Px4er

The custom thigh holster in the vid is useless. The time that is takes for you to draw that big hulk of a thing you'll be done.

Remember the 20ft running myth? Yeah, proved.

sudden valley gunner

Maybe it should be normal.

I have no problem with it, I think normal should be what ever someone is comfortable with as long as he isn't causing physical harm to anyone else.:lol:

To the others:

Citizen didn't say it was his opinion just made a prediction.

I have seen other "Pistol" threads closed when they were made from what is normally long gun components.

amlevin

I have no problem with it, I think normal should be what ever someone is comfortable with as long as he isn't causing physical harm to anyone else.:lol:

To the others:

Citizen didn't say it was his opinion just made a prediction.

I have seen other "Pistol" threads closed when they were made from what is normally long gun components.

When I read your first sentence I thought that for once we'd be in total agreement:)

Then I read your last sentence;)

In order to make a legal "AR Pistol" one needs to have a lower that started out as a "Pistol" lower. It is therefore a Pistol. Just because it is twice as long as what some consider a normal pistol doesn't make it a "Long Gun", just a "Longer Pistol";);)

I find it interesting that a group which hates to be told what they can or can't do would try and tell someone what they should or shouldn't carry. My feeling is "Carry what you want as long as you can do it safely and legally".